Fox: McCain is Over

ledroit

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Fox News Executive VP John Moody said yesterday the "B" attack on a McCain campaign supporter was going to be a watershed event in the campaign. (for story, click here)

"If the incident turns out to be a hoax, Senator McCain’s quest for the presidency is over, forever linked to race-baiting.
For Pittsburgh, a city that has done so much to shape American history over the centuries, another moment of truth is at hand."

Now that it has turned out to be a hoax, and police are pressing charges, what do you think aobut that? Is this a disaster for the McCain campaign? Does anybody agree with this?

What I think is wierd is the way the McCain's communications director for PA was all ready to go with the story, and even embellished it and added quotes, well before the facts were known.

Look at this from TPM:

"John McCain's Pennsylvania communications director told reporters in the state an incendiary version of the hoax story about the attack on a McCain volunteer well before the facts of the case were known or established -- and even told reporters outright that the "B" carved into the victim's cheek stood for "Barack," according to multiple sources familiar with the discussions.

John Verrilli, the news director for KDKA in Pittsburgh, told TPM Election Central that McCain's Pennsylvania campaign communications director gave one of his reporters a detailed version of the attack that included a claim that the alleged attacker said, "You're with the McCain campaign? I'm going to teach you a lesson."

Verrilli also told TPM that the McCain spokesperson had claimed that the "B" stood for Barack. According to Verrilli, the spokesperson also told KDKA that Sarah Palin had called the victim of the alleged attack, who has since admitted the story was a hoax."
--------

Do you think this was the work of one crack-pot, acting totally on her own? Is it like the soldiers at Abu Ghraib, just trying to imitate the tone they saw that was set at the top. If that is what happened, why would the communications director be ready to publish and improve the story?

More importantly, do you think Fox News is right?

Is this the end for McCain?

D_Chaumbrelayne_Copprehead

Account Disabled
Media
This volunteer sounds like a bit of a nutty wackjob, and campaigns can't do background checks on every volunteer who walks in the door.

But it's also a sign of how threatening it is to some people to have a black president.

Most people who are scared of a black president don't act out like that. But the pressure's on, it's going to be tough for McCain to win, and this particular person acted out like this.

While there are racists supporting Sen. McCain, I don't think McCain himself is a racist. I think he's a decent guy whom I don't generally agree with who is way over his head in this presidential race.

1BiGG1

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Both campaigns have their share of racists I highly doubt this will affect McCain.

If somebody is voting on a racist platform I can’t imagine them thinking about this while overlooking Obama’s longtime “mentor”, religious leader and friend the racist extraordinaire Rev Wright

ledroit

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
This volunteer sounds like a bit of a nutty wackjob, and campaigns can't do background checks on every volunteer who walks in the door.

That's what I thought too, at first. But the PA communications director for the campaign jumped on it, promoted it, embellished it. That's what is strange. The quality of a campaign also lies in its ability to identify nut jobs. The McCain team in this case embraced it and ran with it as fast as they could. Says more about the campaign than the nut-job, I think. Another case in which they were impulsive, didn't do their vetting. To me it looks like a bit of a pattern. Either they aren't doing their homework, or homework simply doesn't matter.

That's what I think is damaging them. But in any campaign, the signals are sent from the top. That's where the tone & direction of any campaign have to come from.

D

deleted15807

While there are racists supporting Sen. McCain, I don't think McCain himself is a racist.

The Republicans have deftly played the race card since the Civil Rights Laws were passed in the 60's. McCain in a radio address said 'Obama will turn the IRS into a giant welfare agency..' That statement is clearly race baiting. And never mind the 8 years of corporate welfare with tax breaks, sole source no-bid contracts that have cost the taxpayers billions. The myriad subsidies, bailouts, giveaways, tax loopholes, debt revocations, loan guarantees, discounted insurance and other benefits conferred. The big Wall Street bailout bill had over $150 billion in tax breaks and guess what? It wasn't to help the poor.

But believe it or not there are...
Racists for Obama?

Last edited by a moderator:

stratedude

Legendary Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I wish there was another debate:

Moderator:
"This question is to yo Senator McCain - Recently a Republican volunteer claimed to be physically attacked by a black Obama supporter. The story went national, and soon afterwards it was discovered to be a hoax. What is your response to this kind of race-baiting?"

Senator McCain:
"I will not make race an issue of this campaign. I am not going to exploit, for political purposes, my opponent's close friendships with overtly racist people."

That's all folks...

B_VinylBoy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Senator McCain:
"I will not make race an issue of this campaign. I am not going to exploit, for political purposes, my opponent's close friendships with overtly racist people."

Apparently some of the other people in the Republican Party didn't get the memo. Maybe they didn't read the e-mail since they were hacked along with Palin's.

That's all folks...

You're not kidding. :rolleyes:

stratedude

Legendary Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Apparently some of the other people in the Republican Party didn't get the memo. Maybe they didn't read the e-mail since they were hacked along with Palin's.

I'm trying to figure out why you are so concerned with a few racist, McCain supporters while conveniently ignoring the equal number of racist Obama supporters....

Is it due to party loyalty or are you a racist yourself?