Fox nearly sued itself over 'Simpsons' parody

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by Imported, Oct 30, 2003.

1. Imported

Gold Member

H8Monga: If you haven't seen the article on Yahoo!, read this. I find it funny... just like the show, :)

Fox nearly sued itself over 'Simpsons' parody: Matt Groening

Wed Oct 29,12:28 PM ET  Add Offbeat - AFP to My Yahoo!

NEW YORK (AFP) - Rupert Murdoch's Fox News Channel threatened to sue the makers of "The Simpsons" over a parody of the channel's right-wing political stance, the creator of the hit US television show has claimed.

In an interview this week with National Public Radio, Matt Groening recalled how the news channel had considered legal action, despite the fact that "The Simpsons" is broadcast on sister network, Fox Entertainment.

According to Groening, Fox took exception took a Simpsons' version of the Fox News rolling news ticker which parodied the channel's anti-Democrat stance, with headlines like "Do Democrats Cause Cancer?"

"Fox fought against it and said they would sue the show," Groening said.

"We called their bluff because we didn't think Rupert Murdoch would pay for Fox to sue itself. So, we got away with it."

Other satirical Fox news bulletins featured in the show included: "Study: 92 per cent of Democrats are gay... JFK posthumously joins Republican Party... Oil slicks found to keep seals young, supple..."

While the lawsuit never materialized, Groening said some action was taken.

"Now Fox has a new rule that we can't do those little fake news crawls on the bottom of the screen in a cartoon because it might confuse the viewers into thinking it's real news," he said.

"The Simpsons," featuring the dysfunctional family of patriarch Homer Simpson and his rowdy brood, is now in its 14th year and is expected to become the longest-running situation comedy in US history in 2005.

2. Imported

Gold Member

da_blissmachine: god like ppl will think the rediculous simpsons headlines are reall... if they do they are dumb and deserve to be fools, I opine.

3. Imported

Gold Member

H8Monga: Bliss? Are you drunk tonight? :D

4. Imported

Gold Member

da_blissmachine: No why do you ask? I never drink

5. Imported

Gold Member

prepstudinsc: If people are stupid enough to think that news crawlers on the Simpsons are real, then they deserve to think that the parodies that scroll across the screen are true. Let them make fools of themselves. Talk about the dumbing down of America. We have some real rocket scientists coming up today. :D

6. Imported

Gold Member

da_blissmachine: thanks thats what i was trying to say! its just my English makes me sound drunk or crazy

7. Pecker

Pecker Retired Moderator
    Gold Member

Just like Mr. Groening to pull NPR's leg.

The icing on the cake would have been to have fake subliminal news whispers on the radio broadcast but this time poking fun at the liberal media.

"Republicans love children - they think they're delicious."

"The Religious Right is wrong."

etc.

Pecker

(HEADLINE: Victim Tied, Nude Policeman Testifies)

8. Imported

Gold Member

da_blissmachine: well there was the episode with Bart's boybadn which was really a recruitment tool for the navy

"Yvan eht nioj...."

read it backwards ;)

9. Imported

Gold Member

H8Monga: There's a liberal media? Damn it why the hell aren't they showing nudity in primetime on the networks? Someone's holding back! I deserve this little slice of Heaven!

10. Imported

Gold Member

jerkin4-10: the simpsons...i loved that episode where bart replaces the hymns with 'INNAGADDADAVIDA'... im on the floor everytime that airs...all thats missing is the drum solo... :D

11. Imported

Gold Member

da_blissmachine: wasnt that the episode where he sold his soul to Milhouse for $5?

12. Imported

Gold Member

H8Monga: Yep, same episode.

13. Imported

Gold Member

da_blissmachine: I always enjoyed that episode

14. Pecker

Pecker Retired Moderator
    Gold Member

I'm looking forward to the hour-long Halloween Simpsons tomorrow night.

15. Imported

Gold Member

H8Monga: Oh yes. It's on! After waiting too long for new episodes... I am so Simpsons-hungry! All my tapes are ready and WOO HOO! I'm off Sunday through Tuesday!

16. Imported

Gold Member

da_blissmachine: Fox here has been showing all the Halloween specials this week... I've taped most of htem.

17. Imported

Gold Member

longtimelurker: Maybe it's just me, but does anyone else find that the newest series just aren't funny anymore?

The originality and spark that went into the first few series just seems to have ebbed away and over the years I feel it's converted from an inventive and radical comedy into a bog-standard sit-com.

I really hate it when producers let shows drag on way past their sell-by dates - it kills the show and leaves people remembering the bad last episodes rather than the true classics.

18. Imported

Gold Member

da_blissmachine: yes I think the last few simpsons arent as great... but still way better than anything else on

19. Imported

Gold Member

Tender: ive never been a fan of the simpsons...
    :p
    Tender

20. Imported

Gold Member

tracksuitboy: Murdoch sues Murdoch - fantastic! Shame they didn't go ahead with it, would have been a hoot!

Draft saved Draft deleted