Fox News Blocked by Canadian Law Against Lying

Discussion in 'Politics' started by petite, Jan 12, 2012.

1. petite

petite New Member

Albums:
    Fox Shut Out of Canada Because of a Law Against Lying During Newscasts

Excerpts:

2. tbrguy

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    It couldn't have happened to a 'nicer' company.... teehee.

3. zephyr808

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    That was a really interesting read, thanks for posting the link. I can't imagine why Canadians wouldn't want to watch something like this.

4. fastcarsandfreedom

fastcarsandfreedom New Member

5. zephyr808

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I know you can't always go by the comments section on a news site or a blog, but on the link you provided one reply says that Fox "news" is available on most cable and satellite in Canada. As for Sun News, "Sun TV Network is up and running however, they have a Category 2 license. They originally wanted a Cat 1 license which would have given Sun News the same status as CTV News Channel and CBC News Network, in that it would have required all Canadian digital television providers (both cable and direct broadcast satellite) to carry and offer Sun News to their customers should those carriers have the capability to do so.
    Cat 2 is non-mandatory (cable and satellite carriers are not compelled to carry such channels" Maybe a Canadian LPSG-er can confirm the situation there?

6. petite

petite New Member

Albums:
    Oh good grief, I didn't look at the date. It's something one of my friends posted, so I assumed that it was a recent blog post. It's from March, 2011.

In fact, there's one comment from when it was written and all the rest are from today. Weird. I wonder why it popped up again?

7. dude_007

Gold Member

Sometimes I like to turn on Fox "news" just to see how competely insane the conservatives are these days. They claim Fox is the only true news network...scary.

8. tamati

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    anyone else ever puzzle on how fox also runs some of the most liberal and anti religious programming on network TV, in the form on sunday night cartoons, like Simpsons, family guy, et al. ?

or is that just how the achieve "fair and balanced"?

9. zephyr808

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I think The Simpsons is a special case, they get to say whatever they want about Fox and are only rarely called out for it. I've always assumed it was in their deal with the network, no network suits showing up and dictating acceptable storylines and such. And that is one of the reasons The Simpsons has always been among my favorite shows.

I can't do it, I just...can't :banghead2:

10. erratic

Gold Member

Sun News is about as popular as cable-access television. I doubt the federal regulatory body that oversees TV (the CRTC) has enough ammo to shut the channel down because there aren't enough people watching it to complain. Also, you have to be documented lying to be shut out. Being hard-core conservative doesn't count. Having a messed-up opinion doesn't count. From my understanding of it, you have to be demonstrated as consistently peddling lies for the CRTC to do something. For example, there's lots of bizarro American religious TV that's broadcast early morning on Saturday, and that's not a problem. You know, ladies with diamonds and big hair and guys in Armani suits in massive churches telling people the poor will inherit the Earth. However, when they start spreading bizarro religious lies about gay and lesbian people their programs get blacked out.

I can totally understand why Fox News would be shut out of Canadian airwaves. About the only attention it gets on television here is when it makes demonstrably false claims about how fucked-up Canadians are. You don't make good neighbours by calling them freaks from across the fence. (He says, knowing full well how many Canadians call Americans the same things.)

11. luvthewater38

luvthewater38 New Member

Good for them!!!! I just wish america had the sense to do the same thing. At least canada has enough sense to stop some of the culture trash being produced by american media. I remember when TV in rural maritimes had two channels and those two werent coming in to well. Everyone was better off. BTW I want to emigrate to CA anyone want to get married?

12. Hoss

Gold Member

Albums:
    If this law exists and is to be properly enforced then almost all news organizations will have to be blocked. Lies proliferate from most broadcasters. All they really do by blocking one group is show they have no belief in their citizens to distinguish truth from lies.

13. Klingsor

Gold Member

Albums:
    Such a law would be difficult to enforce, yes, but still of value. Saying it should be up to us to distinguish truth from lies on television is a little like saying it should be up to us to distinguish healthy food from poison in the supermarket.

In either case, I don't mind a little government oversight.

14. Randll86

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I get all my news from The Onion.

15. Hoss

Gold Member

Albums:
    I didn't indicate whether or not it could be enforced. It still is wrong to start being selective about what can and what cannot be shown.

If Fox airs something which is a lie then it is up to other broadcasters and media to expose the lie. That will also teach the people to look more closely at what is being fed to them instead of accepting everything on face value.

The problem which arises from your idea of "a little government oversight" is that it rapidly turns into complete rule over everything. You end up with no rights.

16. Perados

Gold Member

Albums:
    I think this law is good. As soon as you are exposet as a lier, your channel should get banned.

If you wanna show an "oposit position" to the akzepted fakts, then dont call it news... Name it "komment" or "i guess" or "political comedy". But make clear that your meaning isnt based on proofed fakts.

There is no need for other media to proof them wrong and you know that it doesnt work like this.

If a pritty boy gets more viewer then a good jornalist. The boy will get the job.
    And if killer bies gets more then the local election... The will show the bies.

And for tv its who shouts as most is right...

Creating a public meaning has not mutch with fakts to do.
    Sadly you cant say, its enough to give the people enough different "informations" and they will get smart enough to see what is true...

17. OhWiseOne

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    ^this^ and when should a gov. determine what is true or not true? First step to spoon feeding the public. I find the law condenscending a restriction of my rights.

18. Perados

Gold Member

Albums:
    In every kindergarten we teache the children not to lie and punish every lier... But as soon as you can run a company everything is allowed.
    This is the same diskusion as it is now with the finance industry. You have to be personsable for what you do or say.
    And who has to desite? The state has to make cleare rules and laws... And if you still think its a wrong desition to shut you off. Go to a cort

19. Phil Ayesho

Gold Member

Fox was nothing and going nowhere until they signed up the Simpsons.
    The rest of the irreverent humor shows were mere followups... and they keep them because they make more money than all their "news" programs, combined.

Murdoch surely wants to influence politics... but not at the cost of losing money.

If Liberals were as easy to scare and easily misled as conservatives, I am sure he would be pandering to their irrational mindsets, too.

What he doesn't like is real news... because that takes actually, y'know, work. Research. And a higher personnel budget for the talent and brains it requires to get stuff right.

Foc News channel needs a surgeon general's warning, like cigarettes...
    "Watching These Programs Repeatedly Will Result In Being Ill Informed, Ignorant, and Fearful. Lower I.Qs and E.Q.s are strongly linked to viewership of these programs. The Surgeon General Recommends these Programs only be watched IRONICALLY."

20. vince

Gold Member

Albums:
    Well by that logic, Canada ought to be communist dictatorship by now.

We've had government oversight on broadcasters since the 1930's. The current body was created in the 1960's and operates under Parliamentary oversight. They regulate what is or is not allowed on Canadian airwaves and it works well.

The regulation dealing with false or misleading news has been on the books for years. It's been debated since the early nineties and under pressure from the Harper government, the CRTC is about to modify the rules to state that false news is allowed, unless it endangers public safety. Coincidentally, or not, Sun TV’s major champion is Prime Minister Harper’s former Director of Communications, who will also be (re-)assuming the top job at the network shortly.

The public is up in arms, but apparently the old rule is a violation of Charter of Rights and Freedoms. It looks like it's a done deal.

The reporting of rumour, accusation and innuendo is not responsible journalism, nor is it fair and balanced.

As for-
    Perhaps we believe that children and the feeble minded amoung us need to be protected from the half truths and downright blatant lies that the likes of FOX pass off as news. I certainly wouldn't want my kids exposed to convincing liars like Hannity or Beck. And this has nothing to do with left wing/right wing politics. A lie is lie and it doesn't matter who's agenda it's promoting. Why should we allow baldface lies to be disseminated over publicly owned bandwidth?

Canadians are every bit as free as Americans by the way. I've lived in both countries and I'm quite sure this is the case. In fact I feel more free when I am in Canada.

*Government regulation of the financial services sector is the main reason Canada had a small and short recession instead of a near economic meltdown and many millions of Canadians have the freedom of going to work everyday because of it. (btw)

#20 vince, Feb 17, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2012
Draft saved Draft deleted