fraternities

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by guiltrip, Sep 25, 2007.

1. guiltrip

guiltrip New Member

Is/was anybody ever in a frat? I'm thinking about joining one at grad school. I rushed freshman year but got bored with going to the parties and the games and stuff. I can hold my liquor really well so I think I have a shot.

2. LexGuy1982

LexGuy1982 Member

Albums:
    I was...had fun for about 3 years then outgrew it.

3. HawkStud

HawkStud New Member

I was in a very good national fraternity (Sigma Alpha Epsilon), and even though you don't need to join a fraternal organization to have a great college experience, there is potential to have some incredible life experiences there. In fact, most people's best friends come from the ones they met in their fraternity or sorority. Friends for life.

Truth be told, though, fraternities are not always as stereotypical as they seem. The whole Animal House and binge drinking and raping women thing is more untrue than true. In fact, some groups are hard to get into because their standards are so high. I know it's hard to believe.

As a rule of thumb, though, graduate students normally don't join fraternities. Typically, membership is limited to undergraduates only. BUT...it's NEVER too late to try. Educate yourself on the best fraternities on campus, and you may find it's a good fit for you.

4. SpeedoGuy

Gold Member

Albums:
    If you got bored with Greek life as an undergrad I suspect it'll be even worse as a graduate student. I was way too busy concentrating on academics in graduate school to even think about joining a fraternity.

5. HazelGod

Gold Member

Albums:
    I agree with these guys...social fraternity interaction is an undergraduate experience.

If you missed (or chose not to board) that ship the first time around, then you missed your window. Move on.

If, for some reason, you have lots of spare time as a grad student, then you might check into some of the service organizations that use Greek letters.

6. DC_DEEP

Gold Member

Service, honorary, or professional organizations...

I never joined a social fraternity (even though I was a legacy for ΣΤΓ and ΦΛΧ.) During my undergraduate years, I did join ΚΚΨ and ΦΜΑ Sinfonia.

Really, though, if all you want to do is drink, and then drink some more, joining a fraternity is the least of your worries.

7. guiltrip

guiltrip New Member

I have a few grad friends who are in fraternities. Then only requirement is that you have rushed for it before when you were an undergrad.

Draft saved Draft deleted