Fred Phelps - at it again!

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by B_Lightkeeper, Nov 22, 2006.

1. B_Lightkeeper

B_Lightkeeper New Member

Four Alabama students were killed this week when their school bus went off an interstate bridge and more are still in hospitals. It was announced tonight on local TV that Fred Phelps and his hate group are coming to protest at the funerals this weekend. WHY? To my knowledge, none are/were gay nor had military connection unless that of a family member or friend.
    Phelps and his followers are dangerous. I'd like to find out if their "church" received any kind of religious tax breaks or credits. If so, it needs to be repealed. They give religion a badder name.

2. Equus14

Equus14 New Member

Contrary to unfortunate popular belief "Religion" IS a four letter word.

3. spartalee

spartalee New Member

I heard that on the news today aswell (Im in alabama alsol) kind of a shity thing to do...no one should protest in any way at someones funeral...just for respect of the dead and their family.

4. dcwrestlefan

Gold Member

he is a loser. it's sad. and he has a small following. the asswipe protested at the funeral of bill clinton's mother back in the early 90s. he has no shame. all he has is hate. don't try and find a logical explanation behind his actions. you'll not find it.

i don't advocate violence, but if someone "offed" this guy, i would shed no tears.

his group came to galveston when i lived there a few years back to protest the opening of a gay resort. only 15 people showed up. haha asshole...you lose.

on the plus side, he is a net advantage for gay folk. someone who appears as unreasonable and out of control and classless as he does makes "middle america" scratch their head.

5. B_Lightkeeper

B_Lightkeeper New Member

I've heard a rumor that he (Phelps) has a Lesbian daughter. I feel sorry for her...not for being gay but having him as a father.

6. Sklar

Gold Member

Albums:
    I think we are missing a great opprotunity here.

Why doesn't some group on the Left start to paint Phelps as the poster boy for the religous right? We never see any religous righters counter protesting Phelps. All they do is give lip service on the air about how bad he is. To me, that COULD be construed as silently approving what he does. The only group that actually goes out and counter protests him is a veterans group that literally forms a human line between Phelps and who ever he is protesting.

We can start to guilt the religous right organizations to come to funerals to counter protest Phelps.

On a side note, if I were to go to one of Phelps protests and throw rotten tomotoes and eggs at them, would I be arrested for assault or would I be exercising free speech?

7. rob_just_rob

Gold Member

Phelps is, IMO, wishing to be far more destructive than Bin Laden could ever hope to be.

8. SpeedoGuy

Gold Member

Albums:
    Yup. Many must secretly approve of Phelps. Else, they'd be a bit more forceful in condemning him for creating such a stinking image of militant Christianity. Fundy Christians and other rightists seem to have no problem vocally condeming everything about abortion but their silence about Phelps is deafening. One can only conclude they agree with him but just aren't ballsy enough to join him in public.

9. smoothrnb

Gold Member

Albums:
    Fred is a former attorney (who was disbarred), has a family of attorneys (many of his children are lawyers), and knows just how far his protests can go before becoming illegal. Those who have had lots of experience with Fred's clan (including me) would advise people to completely ignore the protests. Fred's purpose of protesting is to gain attention. Personally, I don't think Fred really cares what he protests at all. He just wants the attention. Most people in Kansas don't give Fred the time of day anymore. That's probably why he has moved his protests to other areas of the country.

10. Bulger8

Bulger8 New Member

Glad you mention that he is an atty smoothrnb...we were told when he came to Chicago yrs. ago to leave him be because he funds his misadventures thru the lawsuits he and his clan file...

11. dolf250

dolf250 New Member

Yup, a poster boy for the right. Because naturally if we are not activley protesting at a funeral we are silently in the background approving of it and just glad that somebody has the balls to do so. I looked and there is not smiley face that expresses the sarcasm and disgust that I wish to convey with that sentence.

===========================================================

I am all for protesting for or against almost any cause if you feel strongly enough. But there are times where it is not appropriate. I can tell you that police had better be present at the funeral as I get the feeling that he may otherwise end up dead and some poor mourner be charged with what is in my mind, a justifiable homicide.

I have only ever “lost it” 2 times in my life. By lost it I mean went ballistic. I have ended up in more than one fight (as a doorman) and always kept my mind and felt very little anger. One of the two times I slipped was immediately following my girlfriends funeral (fortunately there were some people who did not hear the comment made and pulled me off the bastard.). You do not comment negatively about the dead near their loved ones unless you do not value you damned life.

12. LeeEJ

Gold Member

Albums:
    Phelps is going to get his one of these days. Hate breeds hate, and it's going to come down on him hard. Don't be surprised.

Draft saved Draft deleted