Fred Phelps to protest Va. Tech funerals

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by D_Herin_Ghan, Apr 18, 2007.

1. D_Herin_Ghan

D_Herin_Ghan Account Disabled

You have to be fucking kidding me. (This may be suicide for the protestors too, if this gets out...oh man, the backlash from the community...)

www.godhatesamerica.com

2. surferboy

Gold Member

Albums:
    please, please, PLEASE tell me this is a fuckin joke :confused:

3. B_NineInchCock_160IQ

what an idiot.

4. B_NineInchCock_160IQ

Fred Phelps is a joke, but he's not joking.

5. B_Hung Muscle

B_Hung Muscle New Member

He's neither a joke, nor is he joking. I've had to face this fuckwad down at funerals -- he is abhorrent and sociopathic.

He, his family and his followers are terrifying -- and huge media whores. They love the attention, but they mean what they say.

6. Male Bonding etc

Gold Member

He's the same one who's been protesting military funerals because of this country's tolerance of gays, is that correct? [I try to blank out names of people who are doing things I think are reprehensible.]

What to do with people like him is a quandry. I don't condone killing, but his behavior is so abhorrent... there should be a way to restrict him from assaulting people in their grief.

7. D_Gunther Snotpole

D_Gunther Snotpole Account Disabled

He's so filled with hatred that you wonder if he's ever read the words of Christ.

8. smoothrnb

Gold Member

Albums:
    Fred Phelps and Company never ceases to surprise me to the outrageous positions that they espouse. For those of us in Kansas, we are well-aware of Fred and his followers' antics. They have been "protesting" funerals, weddings, and graduations for nearly 20 years in Kansas and surrounding states. It's only been in the last several years that Fred and company have gotten the nation's attention. I don't think there is anything Fred won't twist to support his radical religious ideas.

9. mindseye

Gold Member

We're aware of this "threat" here in Blacksburg, and we're ready.

This will be the second time that Phelps has threatened to visit our area. The first time was in 2000, when he threatened to picket the funeral of Danny Overstreet, who was shot inside a gay bar.

At that time, local radio stations responded by holding a "Phelps-a-thon", inviting local residents to pledge to donate "X" amount of money to progressive HIV/AIDS charities for every minute Phelps was in town. Over 4,000 people pledged money, and Phelps spitefully stayed home in order to keep the money from going to "fags". As it turns out, about half of the people who pledged, decided to honor their pledges anyway.

We're already organizing a similar event this time, and because of the national scope of this shooting, we're likely to raise far more pledges than we did in 2000.

10. rubberwilli

rubberwilli Member

Albums:
    Sigh...why am I not surprised at this. It's just more typical Fred Phelps and his followers (who by the way are all his family members.)

We could only be so lucky. There are few people i truly can find no compassion for in the world, but Fred is on that list. His kids don;t know any better and have been brainwashed by his words from the time they were born. But Fred, he's just disturbed.

He's the reason many states have now passed funeral protest laws. I mean who would have ever thought we'd need to pass laws to keep people from protesting at funerals?

He's a hard case to deal with in any manner....religiously, legally, ethically, spiritually. I don't think this is what the framers had in mind with freedom of speech and it certainly is what they had in mind with seperation of church and states.

11. madame_zora

Gold Member

Mindseye, please post info here when you have it organised. I'm sure some of us would like to contribute.

Fred Phelps and crew are perfect examples of who I don't want owning guns. Sadly, there is no known way yet of just disarming the insane.

12. DC_DEEP

Gold Member

I don't ordinarily say things like this about anyone, but too bad it was not Phred Felps and all 30 of his family/congregation who caught the bullets. They certainly deserve it more than those 31 innocents at VA Tech.

13. kalipygian

Gold Member

Albums:
    But W. has directed God to comfort them.(anybody else notice what a disaster junkie he is?)

Some of his crew came up here to protest our Pride Parade a few years ago, they put most of their effort into protesting at the most homophobic church in the area, the Anchorage Baptist Temple, whose pastor headed the local Moral Majority. They protested one other church, I don't remember which.

Mindseye, sounds like an excellent idea.

14. Pecker

Pecker Retired Moderator
    Gold Member

God bless you guys. We're all proud Hokies this week, Heath.

15. earllogjam

Gold Member

A weed can't grow if it gets no sunshine or water. Ignore him and take him for what he's worth. He is feeding off our reactions. Bigger the reaction bigger the press coverage and exposure. No reaction no Fred Phelps. People fail to realize he is such an insignificant minority in our 300 million country. Let a weed wither and become compost for better things.

16. Group51

Group51 Member

Albums:
    A clash of the 1st and 2nd Amendments.

17. B_JQblonde

B_JQblonde New Member

All's I notice is that when he DOESN't show up , people like you rip him to shreds for not caring and when he DOES show up, you rip him fro being a disaster junkie.

Have a litlle class for once in your life and acknowledge a simple act done by the US President, perfectly appropriate in the circumstance.

18. DC_DEEP

Gold Member

You don't understand Phred Felps very well.
    How so?

19. DC_DEEP

Gold Member

Not quite the most appropriate contribution to this thread, for several reasons... but probably not the ones you may think. At any rate, wrong place and time.

20. YourAvgGuy

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I wonder if "brother holy one" would be reacting as such if it were a member of his family in this demise? It amazes me how ignorance breeds future generations of idiots!!!!

Hell, we all die, at some juncture. So surely his bastardization of the Bible and humanity are congruently coupled with many of his own family members being outcast, corrupt and demon possessed. Shit, they died - right?!?!

Anyway, as I have stated many times before, I think we Americans (and yes, I know I will catch shit for this) sometimes have TOO MANY rights! There is abuse and the pushing of grey areas (this is a classic example, as well as his protest to so many other funerals and/or events).

I have a lot more words, but will refrain......... AARRGGHHH

Draft saved Draft deleted