free e-books.....

concupisys

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
i've been looking in to websites that offer e-books at no charge.... there's a lot of literature out there worth reading that i can't find in stores and don't want to order from warehouses, and i also don't use p2p file sharing services.... i know of plenty of places to find every form of media either streaming or downloadable for free except books, and i'd love to put the e-book section of my digital media device to some use outside of listening to dj mixes and watching anime.... does anyone know of anywhere?

flame boy

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
It depends on what your device is, but there is a great piece of software from Amazon which lets you read Kindle books on many different types of technology. For example here in the UK you can now get a Kindle App for most mobile or computer devices.

The best part about this is you can also download (legally) free books for the Kindle application, including classic lit such as Treasure Island, Sherlock Holmes and The Iliad or you can get some more modern fiction by lesser known authors - all completely free. I love browsing the Amazon Top 100 Kindle Books to see what's available for no cost.

There is also a "free books" section on the iBook Store from Apple, with all the very same titles at zero cost. There is also a wide variety of less legal outlets which supply all sorts of eBooks at no cost.

concupisys

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
thanks guys! i'll have to check barnes and noble, but ibook and kindle books are not compatible with the media device that i use.... i was hoping someone would know of any generic/user generated websites where i can get e-books.... you know: somewhere a little more lo-fi/black market.... apple and amazon don't need my business, and i'm really not prepared to spend 2-600 dollars to give it to them....

concupisys

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
just checked B&N.... alas, it's a no-go because i'm not an american.... this is why i'm believing more and more in piracy.... it's the only way to keep all these big companies from forcing us in to buying in to their technology....

helgaleena

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
We have a free read for you at Dark Roast Press

It's a sampler. Many e-presses offer such samplers. If you like science fiction, coolscifi.com has a thread with links to free science fiction from legitimate publishers.

But I sincerely hope you will shun places like 4share, where people offer our ebooks to anyone and we do not get paid a cent. That is piracy. And small presses like ours suffer much more from it for the very reason that we are not 'big'.

Bbucko

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I have operated The Spin Cycle (my blog) as a free, online literary journal for five years. If you'd like a "study guide" (links in order of the narratives' progressions), just PM me. I'm always looking for new readers.