Free will, do we have it? or we don't ?

bobbyboyle

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
As a physicist I'd say, as I stand now, that I don't think we have free-will. I say this because I view conciousness as an illusion (basically, we don't have metaphysical 'souls'). I'm mostly inclined to follow a many-worlds interpretation of QM (anything possible happens, each different possible combination of outcomes corresponding to a completely distinct Universe) but this is a philosophical approach to a physical description of the universe and I'm not much of a fan of philosophy. The fact is, the Universe is quantum mechanical and quantum mechanics is weird => the Universe is weird.
Interpretations of quantum mechanics - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

B_Hickboy

Sexy Member
Media
You had no choice but to post that, so I have no choice but to forgive you. I hope you won't take it personally if some thug finds himself with no choice but to take your wallet and stick a knife between your ribs. But then, I know you won't because you're just another illusion and all this is taking place in my head and being controlled by my brain chemistry. Anyway, thanks for letting me imagine you. I guess I'll now subject myself to an imaginary banning now for calling you a vandal, a brigand, and a fuckwit.

bobbyboyle

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Remember, consciousness is an illusion.

As a philosopher, you make a damn fine physicist. I think. Damn. I keep forgetting. What I meant to say is, "I imagine." No, that's not it either.

Fuck it.
I take solace in the thought that maybe in another parallel Universe we are exchanging humourous anecdotes over a brandy and a few nice Cubans.

august86

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
If you believe in god, sorry, but you're out of the conversation. Please don't reply. I mean, really, please do not reply.
I'd like to hear some ideas. And again, if you believe in god, please don't reply.
Yes, I believe in God, but most importantly (as stated numerous times) I believe in common sense. Religious or otherwise, you must agree that our actions are of our own doing.

Whether in response to thoughts (which we generally cannot control) or through our own stupidity (oops, I mean, free will). Even Sims characters have free will! :tongue:
What else are we doing on this planet if not to screw up (urgh, I mean, to experiment).

In other words you don't really want an open talk you want a bunch of people that just agree with you. Any I'll reply to any fucking thread I damn well please.
Hoss, your candour is always a refreshing delight! :smile:

chemicals/quantum physics? :eek::confused::eek::confused::eek::confused::confused::confused:
*snore! Wake me up when the verbosity ends.

Remember, consciousness is an illusion.

As a philosopher, you make a damn fine physicist. I think. Damn. I keep forgetting. What I meant to say is, "I imagine." No, that's not it either.

Fuck it.
Hick is the perfect representation of free will. He makes the decision to fight his good side in favour of welcomed profanity, everytime :rolleyes:

This thread has been completely destroyed by religious people just as expected.
bye.

Kotchanski

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
Just a small point made within the thread that I think needs reiterating...

Starting a thread does not give you ownership of the thread. LPSG owns the threads, and their content and as such, the mods, admins and owner are the only people with any ability or right (within reason!) to control said content.

If you can't hold your own with differing opinions, or opinions from differing backgrounds, go start a group where you can play all you like with people who at best amount to a bunch of nodding dogs.

Starting a thread does not give you ownership of the thread. LPSG owns the threads, and their content and as such, the mods, admins and owner are the only people with any ability or right (within reason!) to control said content.

If you can't hold your own with differing opinions, or opinions from differing backgrounds, go start a group where you can play all you like with people who at best amount to a bunch of nodding dogs.
^ This.

ManofThunder

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay

Kiss me quick!

Joll, you can squeeze me slowly. :tongue:

Bbucko

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Up until my early 40s, I was not just a determinist but a fatalist as well; yet I firmly believed in something of greater spirituality than my solitary existence.

The intervening ten years have taught me to never be too sure of anything, and that random shit really does happen: call that free will if you like, but I found fatalism much more palatable, frankly.

D_Miranda_Wrights

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
you just going to keep repeating the same post and hope it eventually makes sense?? i have had this everything is pre-determined vs free will debate/conversation many times and contrary to the op's desires, the best answer i can give is i sure hope there is (free will that is) i think that without it, essentially the ability to decide between good and bad, i think the world would be a lot more chaotic and evil than it already is.

Dude, he said he didn't understand what I meant, so I rephrased it. Hard to rephrase without repetition. I'm not sure you understood either, since there's not much rhyme or reason behind the idea that determinism intrinsically increases evil and especially chaos. What part of my post didn't make sense to you?

SprinkleMe69

Expert Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
No Response
"as a student of physcology,*"

So if you meant Psychology then you've already been learning the various things that happen in your brain when you think and react. Yes we do have our own free will and just because one person says otherwise (that you've read about) doesn't mean he's right. Simply put, it's just one persons theory.