Freedom of Speech = Death

faceking

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I find it compelling, no sad, that most Americans aren't reacting and outraged at the response of many Muslims (nee Bin Laden) to the Danish cartoon drawings. You are still in denial, if you think it's Iraq that has these ppl pissed off, you are in denial if you think "reaching across the aisle" and "change and hope" is our number one priority. For anyone here who is not 100/0 and not abstinent unless married... they want you and your lifestyle dead. Do any of you get that? Seriously. To think there is so much hang up on the Christian right (which is getting weaker by the decade), yet a truer threat exists, yet there's much "freedom of their beliefs" and/or "we need to make nice". What else did the entire country of Denmark do to cause such outrage/threats?

http://atlasshrugs2000.typepad.com/atlas_shrugs/images/mohhamad_tee_shirt.jpg

It was/is a political satire cartoon.

Outrage at Cartoons Still Tests the Danes - New York Times

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Most people are upset that others get so upset about a political or religious cartoon.

We are not a nation to go out on the streets to cheer when something goes wrong in their country.

We are not fanatics, and some of those people are.

Ethyl

Legendary Member
Media
Philadelphia (Pennsylvania, United States)
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Simply put, this is why I don't live in a muslim country. I lived next door to a militant muslim several years ago. I knew he wouldn't approve of my lifestyle but he was never anything but courteous and kind to me, albeit distant. He knows he lives in a country where tolerance is supposed to be a way of life. If we were living in Saudi Arabia, it would be a different story.

dong20

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I find it compelling, no sad, that most Americans aren't reacting and outraged at the response of many Muslims (nee Bin Laden) to the Danish cartoon drawings.

Have you consulted most Americans about their level of outrage? Are you suggesting US bomb or invade somewhere - anywhere Muslims are (lurking with intent) would do for you I imagine?

BTW, your use of nee is incorrect in this context - by proxy would perhaps be better, although no less generalised.

HazelGod

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
You are still in denial, if you think it's Iraq that has these ppl pissed off, you are in denial if you think "reaching across the aisle" and "change and hope" is our number one priority. For anyone here who is not 100/0 and not abstinent unless married... they want you and your lifestyle dead.

I suppose this is a preview of the fearmongering bullshit we have to look forward to in the run-up to November this year. :rolleyes:

So, Mr. Faceking, now that you've sufficiently shocked and scared the hoi polloi out of its naively ethnocentric stupor, what course of action are you championing?

Or were you just planning to shout fire! and gauge the reaction?

mindseye

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I suppose that after centuries of exporting religion, syphilis, and poverty, we're lucky more people don't want to kill us.

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I find it compelling, no sad, that most Americans aren't reacting and outraged at the response of many Muslims (nee Bin Laden) to the Danish cartoon drawings.
Huh?:confused: You mean that stuff that ran about 2 years ago? :rolleyes: Most Americans can't even remember who won the Oscar for best actor and that just happend a month ago. Do you seriously expect us to be upset about that, after all this time?

You are still in denial, if you think it's Iraq that has these ppl pissed off, you are in denial if you think "reaching across the aisle" and "change and hope" is our number one priority. For anyone here who is not 100/0 and not abstinent unless married... they want you and your lifestyle dead.
We know that. I believe that was mentioned around about 9/11/01. :12:

Do any of you get that? Seriously. To think there is so much hang up on the Christian right (which is getting weaker by the decade),
Actually the Christian right is becoming stronger. Not sure where your info comes from but it is incorrect.

yet a truer threat exists, yet there's much "freedom of their beliefs" and/or "we need to make nice". What else did the entire country of Denmark do to cause such outrage/threats?

http://atlasshrugs2000.typepad.com/atlas_shrugs/images/mohhamad_tee_shirt.jpg

It was/is a political satire cartoon.
Outrage at Cartoons Still Tests the Danes - New York Times

Does the use of the gold star in your avatar mean you are a good muslim? If so why are you on this site and why do you have a video on youtube? Ohhh. that's right, this is a free country so you can do things like that without fear of death. Hmmm . . .

ClaireTalon

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Simply put, this is why I don't live in a muslim country. I lived next door to a militant muslim several years ago. I knew he wouldn't approve of my lifestyle but he was never anything but courteous and kind to me, albeit distant. He knows he lives in a country where tolerance is supposed to be a way of life. If we were living in Saudi Arabia, it would be a different story.

You know that at some Saudi airfields the USAF used during both Iraqi wars, us female pilots (and ground staff too) had to obey their silly rules of no unaccompanied driving, separation of male and female quarters not only by rooms/tents, but also by putting these quarters up at divided places? You could be really lucky if your TDY took you to some of the more liberal emirates, but Saudi Arabia is pretty bad.

vince

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
I have lived in a Muslim country for the last six years. All but one of my friends are Muslim. They don't want me and my life style dead. I don't feel threatened at all. Of course Bin Ladin and his friends want us all dead. They also feel the same about moderate Islam. No doubt they are crazy. Your xenophobic opinions are only helping them.

All that said, even moderate Muslims are offended by a cartoon of the Prophet Muhammad wearing a bomb-shaped turban. And I don't blame them. Sure the danish cartoonist's have a right to free speech. Why did they have to choose this subject to illustrate it? It smacks of the arrogant Northern European intolerance that I encounter all the time.

btw- My brother got a bad beating from some rednecks in 1971, for wearing a US flag sewed to the back pocket of his jeans. Intolerance and stupidity knows no religious, ethnic or national boundaries. Jerks lurk everywhere.

dong20

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
You know that at some Saudi airfields the USAF used during both Iraqi wars, us female pilots (and ground staff too) had to obey their silly rules of no unaccompanied driving, separation of male and female quarters not only by rooms/tents, but also by putting these quarters up at divided places? You could be really lucky if your TDY took you to some of the more liberal emirates, but Saudi Arabia is pretty bad.

Those rules are silly to us, not to them. It doesn't mean they are or aren't silly - it's all about perception.

That must have made things difficult - operationally I mean?

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
What do you want "us" to do?
BTW, your use of nee is incorrect in this context - by proxy would perhaps be better, although no less generalised.
No, he was correct. All muslims are born with the last name "bin Laden." Everyone knows that, silly.
So, Mr. Faceking, now that you've sufficiently shocked and scared the hoi polloi out of its naively ethnocentric stupor, what course of action are you championing?

Or were you just planning to shout fire! and gauge the reaction?
I'm putting my bets on the latter. That seems to be his modus operandum of choice.

amadeupname

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I also find it disappointing that there does not seem to be more recognition that the jihadists are seeking destruction of everyone with whom they disagree and the imposition, by force, of their cruel laws on the world.

Faceking, don't waste your time trying to reason with those smart-ass posters who bashed you. It just makes them feel important to snipe. They are also living examples of the type of person you are complaining about-people oblivious to the danger, who would rather throw rocks at you for bringing it up.

The posters who have recounted actual experiences with individuals and/or governments that adhere to this ideology should be heeded. That is the real way of the world as they know.

SteveHd

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Another example of faceking bungling a topic. It could have been a good topic had it been presented better.

The protests and demonstrations about the cartoons is simply absurd. Even if the fatalities are subtracted out, it's still absurd.

faceking, I'm am aware that there are extremists that think I should be killed, due to my sexuality. It's in the back of my mind but it doesn't weigh on me. I don't hold that against all of the Islamic World.

I won't ever visit a Moslem country. Not because of their extremists but because their "moderates" won't take a vocal stand against such extremists.

vince

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
I won't ever visit a Moslem country. Not because of their extremists but because their "moderates" won't take a vocal stand against such extremists.

Millions of Turks were in the streets last year taking a stand against a very moderate "Islamic" political party.

amadeupname

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I have lived in a Muslim country for the last six years. All but one of my friends are Muslim. They don't want me and my life style dead. I don't feel threatened at all. Of course Bin Ladin and his friends want us all dead. They also feel the same about moderate Islam. Unfortunately either the radicals have intimidated others, or radicalism has grown exponentially stronger since that particular point of view has assumed ascendancy as a moving force within that world. No doubt they are crazy. Since radical ideology seems to have grown by leaps and bounds can you explain why there is such a proliferation of insanity that would cause this? Your xenophobic opinions are only helping them. Which opinions here are xenophobic?

All that said, even moderate Muslims are offended by a cartoon of the Prophet Muhammad wearing a bomb-shaped turban. And what is it about moderate Muslims that would make them feel offended by a mere cartoon published in a northern European country? Are they forced to read Danish newspapers in the Middle East? And I don't blame them. So, death to the west, and death to cartoonists is an appropriate response? Sure the danish cartoonist's have a right to free speech. Why did they have to choose this subject to illustrate it? Maybe because they got tired of the constant tirades by people being "offended" and wanted to see if the concept of reasonableness and tolerance and civility existed within the Muslim world? It smacks of the arrogant Northern European intolerance that I encounter all the time. Since when is drawing a cartoon an act of intolerance? Intolerance is rioting and calling for death of cartoonists.

btw- My brother got a bad beating from some rednecks in 1971, for wearing a US flag sewed to the back pocket of his jeans. Intolerance and stupidity knows no religious, ethnic or national boundaries. Jerks lurk everywhere.
An individual act of criminal behavior does not equate to a dogma that extolls subjugation of women, and cruelty, and claims that God requires it. Enough with the moral equivalency.

HazelGod

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I will ask again, since nobody seems to have the cojones to face the question:
What is the call to action?

Let's assume, for the sake of discussion, that I've bought off on your assertion that there are legions of Muslims around the world who hate me and want me dead. What would you have us do?

SteveHd

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Millions of Turks were in the streets last year taking a stand against a very moderate "Islamic" political party.
I'm not impressed. How many "millions" would protest against O.b.L. and his ilk?

As for Turkey in general, I do have a mostly postive view of it. I would (kind of) consider visiting it.