Friends With Benefits

Discussion in 'Relationships, Discrimination, and Jealousy' started by Dr. Dilznick, Mar 20, 2005.

1. Dr. Dilznick

Gold Member

Have any of you ever tried it, or do you have any objections to it? Is it conceivable to have this type of mutually sexual relationship with no strings attached, or is this type of relationship doomed to fail and hurt someone or both parties?

2. Dr Rock

Gold Member

who lives in the east 'neath the willow tree? Sex
    I wouldn't recommend it for the insecure, possessive, or emotionally volatile. as with most things it depends on the character and behavior of everyone involved.

3. SomeGuyOverThere

Gold Member

Try what sorry? You didnt explain

4. Altairion

Gold Member

Albums:
    It's in the thread title: "Friends with Benefits"

I personally wouldn't mind it if I could ever get into that non-committal state, but truthfully doubt it could ever work.

5. madame_zora

Gold Member

Um, the topic title! FWBs can be fun, I've done it a couple of times. Dr. Rock is right on target about the personality types though. Some people are better with it than others. Also, you have to think about yourself, and if you can be happy with this kind of arrangement. I was lucky enough to meet some really great guys who, like me, where just in a transitional place where a relationship was not what they wanted, so it worked out well for a short time, and we still had mutual respect and enjoyed each others' comapny. It's just important that everyone know from the start that it is what it is, then enjoy!

6. rope9839

Gold Member

Albums:
    Tried it a couple times. Never worked out, really. No strings always turned into knots. One person usually will begin to feel some emotion. I've also found it hard to stay friends afterward. YMMV.

7. Imported

Gold Member

gamma_phi: I've tried it a few times actually. It can be cool if no one decides to get attached to the other. It's definitely not the for the faint of heart, and not for the insecure as Dr. Rock stated. I think at some point, as rope said, someone will feel some emotion after a while - I guess it's just the nature of sex. Maybe there's supposed to be SOME emotion there and eventually it just comes out. Loved it though.

8. SomeGuyOverThere

Gold Member

Ok, WTF is Friends with Benefits? I took it literally as in "Fiends with income support from the government" or "Friends who are in posetion of a big penis" I didnt realise there was something called "Friends with Benefits" What is it?

9. jonb

Gold Member

Friends with benefits means, well . . . Friends have a duty to make each other feel better. In all ways.

10. madame_zora

Gold Member

Another more easily understood term is "fuckbuddies", but friends with benefits usually implies that there is at least a freindship involved, though probably not a full-blown romance. For me, it has been a good way to get through some time where I wasn't mentally able to commit to a relationship.

11. lapdog2001

Gold Member

Albums:
    Yes, this topic has come up before and some people replied that when they have nothing but sexual contact with someone, the term 'fuckbuddy' is more appropriate. I never thought I would be 'into' casual sex, but a friendship, turned romance, eventually turned into a true 'friends with benefits' situation. She and I hung out together, did things together, talked all the time, and just-so-happend to have sex a few times a week. ;)

It wasn't 'dating' because we both realized that the romance aspect had passed, but the sexual attraction never faded. We called ourselves 'friends who fuck'.

LapDog :p

12. Imported

Gold Member

carolinacurious: It's my opinion that these relationships are ALMOST always "doomed to fail and hurt someone or both parties?"

Sometimes the pain at the end was worth it, sometimes not. (very rarely: sometimes there was no pain)

Personally, I had better luck with "fuckbuddies" (no friends, just benefits).

Can't really recommend either, I think they sound better than they are, don't plan on walking those roads again

13. Imported

Gold Member

NikkiSixx: Hell, I'd be THRILLED to have a fuckbuddy...then again, I haven't even had sex!

Draft saved Draft deleted