1. D_Chode Manhammer

D_Chode Manhammer New Member

when you have an intimate conversation with a coworker and they admit having suicidal thoughts how can you really maintain that trust when you do not want to be sucked in?

2. B_RedDude

B_RedDude New Member

The least you can do as a human being is to urge them to get help. Maybe even identify a couple of resources for them.

3. erratic

Gold Member

Yeah, point them in the right direction, at least. A google search is really all it takes, too. You're absolutely justified in not wanting to help more intimately if you feel it's out of your ability or the scope of your relationship, but it's a kinder way out to provide some resources as you step back. It says "I've thought about your struggle, and this is what I can offer" rather than "Whoa, you're freaking me out."

4. helgaleena

Gold Member

Albums:
    Once a total stranger lay down in the midwinter snow on the lawn next door to us, intending to freeze. I got him up, put him in hot shower then into the spare bedroom for the night. But in the morning at breakfast I let him have it. How dare he do such a thing where my children would find him the next morning???

This was not to make friends, and it certainly didn't lead to friendship. But the next time I ran into that person he was no longer a homeless drunk and was married to a loving woman. He also looked pretty frightened of me.

Humane means get the person help. It doesn't mean coddling them beyond the basics.

5. luka82

Gold Member

If you are a decent human being you GET involved the same moment someone mentions suicide. How could I live with myself knowing I didn`t do anything to help that person?

Draft saved Draft deleted