Not_Punny

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
* sniff *

people do terrible things

* reaches for tissue *

(I'm sorry if I posted flippantly in the wrong place. I agree. Friendship is not to be taken lightly, and sometimes I've had friendships that I didn't even know I had... until they weren't there anymore)

naughty

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
That is so very true. My aunt used to say, "If you have one friend then you dont have any friends to spare." Friendship is a gift someone else offers you. We may have various levels of friendship but they should all be treated with respect.

D_smack ash

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I had friends for yrs then found out they were not.It hurts when you care for people and then you find out they have used you slandered you.

Ethyl

Legendary Member
Media
Philadelphia (Pennsylvania, United States)
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I have many friends with different degrees of friendship, some need to be tossed away if they stop behaving like a friend should!

I agree. However, if you have a disagreement, extend your hand of friendship despite your difference and get snubbed, you soon find how easily discarded one is.

Gillette

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I agree. However, if you have a disagreement, extend your hand of friendship despite your difference and get snubbed, you soon find how easily discarded one is.

Ok, now that is stupid.

In my book friends can disagree, argue and tell each other off. You can't agree with anyone on every issue, you just need to remenber that you both agree that you care about each other.

D_Gunther Snotpole

Account Disabled
Media
I have only recently learned to discard a friendship.
Some, indeed, are not real or not useful ... and some 'friends' don't really understand what it means to really be one.
I've discarded two friends in the last couple of years.
The problem then is figuring out how not to construct a caricature of the person in your mind while remaining quite clear that they're not an addition to your life.
Very tricky stuff, I find.

kalipygian

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Some, indeed, are not real or not useful ... and some 'friends' don't really understand what it means to really be one.
The problem then is figuring out how not to construct a caricature of the person in your mind while remaining quite clear that they're not an addition to your life.
Very tricky stuff, I find.[/quot

So, you might have a couple openings.:smile:

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
You lose some, you gain others. They're not always of equal worth, but it happens.
The hardest part is realizng that the ones whom you lost were probably never really friends anyway . . .

Friendhip is not something to be taken lightly. If you can toss a friend away easily then you have no idea of what friendship is supposed to be.
That is all. I agree. However, if you have a disagreement, extend your hand of friendship despite your difference and get snubbed, you soon find how easily discarded one is. Tell me about it! I have twice lost friends who seemed highly offended at something I had said or done. I apologized , no dice. I was cut off cold. It hurts but I learned a valuable lesson. :frown1:

Ethyl

Legendary Member
Media
Philadelphia (Pennsylvania, United States)
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Very tricky stuff, I find.

Yes, indeed. You can try to pick and choose your friends carefully but sometimes things happen that you didn't expect. I had to drpp a friend recently but she was getting much more out of the relationship that I was, which was nothing in the end.

Unfortunately, i'm discovering some friendships end because of minor details. That's sad.

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
The odd (sad) thing about friends is that many times life takes you down seperate paths and you lose touch.

whatireallywant

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I had friends for yrs then found out they were not.It hurts when you care for people and then you find out they have used you slandered you.

Ooh, I have some stories about this! I have had "friends" who back-stabbed me and the situations involved were worthy of a Jerry Springer episode! :eek:

D_Gunther Snotpole

Account Disabled
Media
So, you might have a couple openings.:smile:

Oh, always, Kal, always.:cool:

Yes, indeed. You can try to pick and choose your friends carefully but sometimes things happen that you didn't expect. I had to drop a friend recently but she was getting much more out of the relationship that I was, which was nothing in the end.
Unfortunately, i'm discovering some friendships end because of minor details. That's sad.

But when minor details sink the ship, I usually suspect there were several leaks ... maybe there never was the full 'spark' of friendship, or it had burned down quite a bit before the small things capsized the whole tugboat.
Disagreements over minor things often mask unaddressed, underlying issues ... and it may be the case that you should let the friendship go rather than getting in with a screwdriver to do repair work.
Depends entirely on the case, of course.
Friendship should usually be fairly easy, I think.
If it needs too much work, that fact alone is eloquent.

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I had a work friend at a previous job that became a friend outside of work (not real close). I forget how he ended up hating each other at work, but he said "I know where you park your car at home" I took it as a threat and told the supervisor. He eventually got fired.
A few months ago I was in a shopping area in a nice section of the city I live in. He saw me and beeped and smiled from his car, I just waved and kept walking.