From 1000 AD to 1999 AD

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by Sklar, Feb 12, 2007.

1. Sklar

Gold Member

Albums:
    OK, this was bothering me back that the turn of the millenium. Who or what do you think had the most significant reach and impact of that last millenium?

For me, I think the Chinese had the most impact. In regards to person impact, local impact, governmental impact and global impact.

The Chinese inveted fireworks which led to guns.

The Chinese also invented paper. Ts'ai Lun, is credited with inventing paper circa 104 AD.

I think just in those two inventions, the Chinese forever changed the way the world worked.

Anyone else have a vote?

2. Heather LouAnna

Gold Member

Albums:
    Egyptians invented paper, as taken from wikipedia.

"The word paper comes from the Greek term for the ancient Egyptian writing material called papyrus, which was formed from beaten strips of papyrus plants. Papyrus was produced as early as 3000 BC in Egypt, and sold to ancient Greece and Rome."

Ts'ai Lun is credited with inventing it, yes, because he improved on it.

I'm gonna go with the Romans as far as inventions go. It's up for debate of course, and not to be agreed upon.

3. B_big dirigible

B_big dirigible New Member

Depends on how one defines paper. If it's anything flat which you can write on and make airplanes out of, then papyrus is paper. If you include the pulping process in the definition, then papyrus ain't.

4. B_Ray6955

B_Ray6955 New Member

Cleveland, Ohio -- won't chat with pipples whose p
    Between the years 1000 and 1999, there are several major technologies/inventions of note: mouldboard plow, expansion of the use of mills; flying buttress; moveable type; one-point perspective; longitude; steam engine; development of factory system; and many more. The list since the late 1800s to 1999 is rife with those we all know.

The one invention/technology during this period which I believe is responsible for great advancement in society is the Jacquard loom.

RAY

5. D_N Flay Table

D_N Flay Table New Member

6. fortiesfun

Gold Member

I think there is a genuine argument that Shakespeare had the most cultural impact of the last millenium, shaping almost everything about our literary discourse for the ensuing four hundred years. (The King James translation of the Bible also has a significant claim, but the committee that created it accomplished little else of note collectively or individually, so I gotta go with the playwright.)

7. swordfishME

swordfishME Member

Whoever "invented" sliced bread. 'cause if they had not n other invention/research/ artistic creation would have mattered.

8. Lordpendragon

Gold Member

9. kamikazee_club

kamikazee_club New Member

Hmm,...tough question. I guess if one can consider an invention as the realisation of a concept then perhaps the concept that has lead to the greatest changes over the period would be the adoption of true scientific methodology. Granted this began before the start of the second millenium but has taken it's greatest strides during it. This includes modern mathematical methods such as Calculus which underpin our understanding of so much.

In short, almost everything, from paper to TIVO:smile: to space travel has fallen (directly or indrectly as a result of accidents and inspiration) out of scientific methodology. That includes the cultural and artistic advancements already mentined which are of course equally vital. After all, music is just a form or mathematics and literature requires print material to succeed!

10. dolf250

dolf250 New Member

For me it comes down to the engine. The steam engine, the internal combustion engine, a rotary engine, the little electric engine that will power your new car (if you gave a damn about the environment.)

They made it possible to move people/products in mass quantity. Weather the early steam engine and rail lines bringing supplies and people to new continents or the steam ship making intercontinental travel and immigration easier and more attractive they have shaped the world.

They have also made it possible to engage in a “decent” war. No engine, no way to power a missile, tank, truck or fighter. Let's face it, WWI with it's engines was a turning point in how war was fought and the numbers of men we could kill in a day; and thanks to a train and ships, replace in a day. Weather train or car, they allow cities to function and therefore have caused the urban/rural balance to shift and with it many social changes have taken place. Really; without the subway and buses NYC would not function with everybody riding their horse to work.

It has also led to the need for crude, a major driving factor in everything from politics to war (again) and commerce.

I know it took many technological advances to get to the engine, but that would win my vote for the most influential advancement.

I guess you still have the printing press to consider. I allowed ideas to be spread across thousands of miles economically. The ability to produce electricity, and the telegraph would also have strong cases because of what was developed though the original invention. But, somebody else can argue for that one- I'll stick with the engine in it's many forms.

11. chico8

chico8 New Member

I vote for moveable type. The spread of technology is the most important factor in the advancement of civilization. Without inexpensive, consistent means of transmitting that technology it wouldn't get very far.

12. JustAsking

Gold Member

Pre 1000 AD
    - Deliberate crop planting.
    - Animal husbandry.

Post 1000 AD
    - Double entry booking in finance.
    - Scientific method.
    - Printing Press.
    - Plow

- I could argue for the invention of the clock, as it revolutionized maritime navigation.

13. Love-it

Gold Member

Electricity: the basis of communication technology; power transmission and storage.

14. ManiacalMadMan

Gold Member

Initially the National Labor Relations/Wagner Act of 1935 which was then revised in The Taft-Hartley Act of 1947.

So I guess I will go with Taft-Hartley

15. Mem

Mem
    Gold Member

The lightbulb, invented in NJ.

16. CUBE

Gold Member

Albums:
    The Cathloic Church in my opinion. It shaped the face of Europe, got rid of "lesser religions," started a dozen Crusades, demoted females from previous times, influenced art, upset a once delicate balance that worked in The Holy Land...etc etc

17. frizzle

Gold Member

Whoever invented football. Best invention ever.

18. Mem

Mem
    Gold Member

By football I assume you mean soccer. Since you are in the UK.

19. avg_joe

Gold Member

Electricity and Internet !!!

20. southwest

southwest New Member

education & lpsg

Draft saved Draft deleted