Fruity cocktails count as health food

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
http://www.lpsg.org/Fruity cocktails count as health food, study finds

WASHINGTON (Reuters) -- A fruity cocktail may not only be fun to drink but may count as health food, U.S. and Thai researchers say.
Adding ethanol -- the type of alcohol found in rum, vodka, tequila and other spirits -- boosted the antioxidant nutrients in strawberries and blackberries, the researchers found.

Any colored fruit might be made even more healthful with the addition of a splash of alcohol, they report in the Journal of the Science of Food and Agriculture.

Dr. Korakot Chanjirakul and colleagues at Kasetsart University in Thailand and scientists at the U.S. Department of Agriculture stumbled upon their finding unexpectedly.

They were exploring ways to help keep strawberries fresh during storage. Treating the berries with alcohol increased in antioxidant capacity and free radical scavenging activity, they found.

Any colored fruit or vegetable is rich in antioxidants, which are chemicals that can cancel out the cell-damaging effects of compounds called free radicals.

Berries, for instance, contain compounds known as polyphenols and anthocyanins. People who eat more of these fruits and vegetables have a documented lower risk of cancer, heart disease and some neurological diseases.

The study did not address whether adding a little cocktail umbrella enhanced the effects. :biggrin1: :tongue:

spacer.gif

I believe I will have a strawberry daquiri...for medicinal purposes.:biggrin1: :tongue:

Find this article at:
http://www.cnn.com/2007/HEALTH/diet.fitness/04/20/nutrition.cocktails.reut/index.html

Blocko

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Fruity cocktails may be healthy, but I can tell you that it doesn't feel that way when you drink five or six long island ice teas followed by a sloe comfortable screw against the wall or two - and I've done a long and detailed study on this :biggrin1:.

Unless you dance a lot. That makes it all better.

Heather LouAnna

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Straight, 40% Gay
One screwdriver, please. Can I also get some shaved candied orange rind on the top with mandarin oranges floating around in it, all in a martini glass. Grey Goose, please kthx.

A Cosmo wouldn't be so bad either.