Ft. Lauderdale visit

Bbucko

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Ft Lauderdale/Wilton Manors is one of the chief gay destinations in the world right now, on par with Provincetown and Sitges.

We have miles of gorgeous beaches, including gay gay gay Sebastian Beach in FtL and clothing-optional Haulover Beach in North Miami. Most of the best resorts (almost all of which are clothing optional) are located within a five minute walk of the beach.

The center of gay nightlife is in Wilton Manors, a separate municipality that is about a mile and half inland, and is focused on Wilton Drive. It's possible to hit as many as nine different bars/nightclubs in a ten minute stroll along the Drive. These range from friendly meeting spots to dance bars to cruise/leather dives.

South Florida's not known for its culinary delights, but there's a wide assortment of places around town from Central/South American to Caribbean (mostly Cuban) to Asian (Thai and Sushi places of varying qualities) to German, French and Italian. We also have an abundance of that time-honored American institution known as The Steakhouse, ranging from moderate to absurdly expensive.

Though strictly speaking you can get around without a car, the only way to do that practically is to stay at a guesthouse/resort in Wilton Manors and walk around from there. FtL is otherwise a very spread-out city of houses. Cabs, while plentiful, are expensive and may not stop for you on the street if you try and hail them. You cannot rely on public transit: the service, such as it exists at all, is undependable and is unlikely to go where you would like.

We're in our rainy season now, which means hot, humid mornings and afternoons with a tropical downpour most every afternoon sometime between 3:00 and 6:00. Evenings are sultry; sometimes it's hotter (and more humid) at midnight than at 4:00 in the afternoon.

Pack light. You won't need much clothing, especially shoes. Florida is extremely casual and shorts and sneakers (or sandals) are welcome almost everywhere.

Depending on how long you're staying and what your interests are, day trips up to the mansions of Palm Beach or an evening exploring South Beach in Miami might be fun, especially if you take the shore road (A1A) to get there. Otherwise you can keep yourself plenty busy right here.

PM me and I'll give you the particulars on specific guest houses/resorts, bars, etc. We can meet for a drink or dinner if you'd like.

Lex

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Bbucko is spot on. My hubby is from FTL and we hang with Bbucko whenever we get into town. There is a whole lotta fun to be had in Fort Bottomdale. On my first visit years ago, what surprised me the most was that no bar or club had a cover charge--they can't afford to do so as competition is so stiff. Great little beach and party town.

Bbucko

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Bbucko is spot on. My hubby is from FTL and we hang with Bbucko whenever we get into town. There is a whole lotta fun to be had in Fort Bottomdale. On my first visit years ago, what surprised me the most was that no bar or club had a cover charge--they can't afford to do so as competition is so stiff. Great little beach and party town.

Speaking of which: I'll be needing a fresh Lex/Bubba fix soon enough. Get your lush selves down here!

gymfresh

Expert Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Ditto Bbucko's excellent description of our Piece of Paradise.

Any suggestions for something amusing and exciting?

Well, if history is a guide you're a tad early for full-bore hurricane season, which is uniquely amusing and exciting. Terrifying, even.

Above and beyond the social entertainment options, which know no end, we also have other great attractions -- airboat rides through the Everglades, museums, mangrove parks, year-round sporting options like snorkeling, scuba, boating and paragliding. Las Olas and The Riverwalk are pleasant and the Jungle Queen riverboat ride is the most enlightening way to see the secret, inner Fort Lauderdale where the billionaires and their yachts live. The International Swimming Hall of Fame is here, as are charming old gems like Bonnet House. And the shopping -- second to none.

Give me a shout and if I'm in town we'll grab lunch.

Bbucko

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Ditto Bbucko's excellent description of our Piece of Paradise.

Well, if history is a guide you're a tad early for full-bore hurricane season, which is uniquely amusing and exciting. Terrifying, even.

Yeah: what tourist could resist 120 MPH winds, storm-surge flooding and the charming simplicity of life without electricity or running water? :tongue:

Above and beyond the social entertainment options, which know no end, we also have other great attractions -- airboat rides through the Everglades, museums, mangrove parks, year-round sporting options like snorkeling, scuba, boating and paragliding. Las Olas and The Riverwalk are pleasant and the Jungle Queen riverboat ride is the most enlightening way to see the secret, inner Fort Lauderdale where the billionaires and their yachts live. The International Swimming Hall of Fame is here, as are charming old gems like Bonnet House. And the shopping -- second to none.

Give me a shout and if I'm in town we'll grab lunch.

Thanks for the counter-post of things to do other than meet men or have a cocktail. It wasn't until I read your post that mine seemed...well...so focused on social pleasures :redface:

We feel the same and are working on it, handsome!

:biggrin1::biggrin1::biggrin1:

Bbucko

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
bbucko: I will email you as soon as I am there; is it worth going to the beach these days?

The beach is perfect right now, though the sun is so intense that an hour or two will probably suffice: bring an ultra-high SPF sunblock or be prepared to get some serious sunburn. The water will be almost bathtub-like warm and crystal clear, and at least down here the surf is always very mild.

I'm looking forward to a rendez-vous if one can be arranged.

Lex

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
The beach is perfect right now, though the sun is so intense that an hour or two will probably suffice: bring an ultra-high SPF sunblock or be prepared to get some serious sunburn. The water will be almost bathtub-like warm and crystal clear, and at least down here the surf is always very mild.

I'm looking forward to a rendez-vous if one can be arranged.

Ahh, Haulover, for its casual, nudity, and MmMMm, Sebastian, for it's muscle boy/daddy goodness.