Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
Pansexual
Christmas is my jam. Christmas makes me carry on with this tedious mortal coil. The music, the cold, the scarves and gloves, the fairy lights EVERYWHERE, daily egg nog lattes at Starfucks. The feeling is everything.

I couldn’t give a f**k about Christmas Day. I celebrate the week of, I have a nice meal with my parents, open a present, get drunk and go to bed smiling. I cut out the big family Christmas a few years ago and never looked back.

Is it selfish? Maybe. But I want Christmas to be about me, not 10 screaming kids. Sorry bout it!

knobwaxer

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
for me its how stores shove merchandise in your face.
BUY! BUY! BUY! they say.

giphy.gif

But im with the rest of you. a nice holiday vacation sounds very nice. I was elated to read how most of you share the holiday season with your loved ones, cooking, drinking, fellowship, Tis the season of love and good will towards men/women. :)

MisterB

Worshipped Member
Staff
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Hubby and I were talking today about the upcoming Holidays and how kinda strange it still feels to actually be planning to spend Thanksgiving and Christmas together.

We got together in 1978. We spent our first Thanksgiving and Christmas Days together in 2013. Our last living parent, his Mother, died at 103 1/2 earlier that year. She was a really neat woman! We'd both gladly give up spending our Holidays together to have our parents still around.

Though we always celebrated both Holidays together. Just not on the actual date of the Holiday.

Reactions: Toddcc987 and g0nz0

LaFemme

Mythical Member
Staff
Verified
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
Hubby and I were talking today about the upcoming Holidays and how kinda strange it still feels to actually be planning to spend Thanksgiving and Christmas together.

We got together in 1978. We spent our first Thanksgiving and Christmas Days together in 2013. Our last living parent, his Mother, died at 103 1/2 earlier that year. She was a really neat woman! We'd both gladly give up spending our Holidays together to have our parents still around.

Though we always celebrated both Holidays together. Just not on the actual date of the Holiday.
The actual date of the holiday doesn’t matter. It’s being together that counts. Due to different in-laws and split families, travel, etc, there have been many years we celebrate Christmas or Thanksgiving on totally different dates. Who cares? Do it when it works! :)

Not enthused about holidays either, myself. Too stressful, too hectic, traffic gets worse than usual, and everywhere you go, stores blare the same dozen Christmas songs ad nauseum again and again.

I think the days being shorter also has an effect on one's mood; less sunlight influences the body's hormones and chemistry.

palakaorion

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
So long as my in-laws are living, and so long as my niece and nephew still like to spend time with Uncle Palaka, I'll keep doing the family Christmas gig. If/when both those things are no longer true, I'll give serious consideration to some kind of me-time vacation instead.

Reactions: Tight_N_Juicy

I used to dread the holidays, but we have simplified things over the years which takes the dread and stress out of it.

1. A $25 spending cap per person on gifts for immediate family only, and dollar store Christmas cards (you're only going to look at it once and then throw it in the recycling bin, so why spend $10 on it?). We all have everything we need, so why go ass over end in debt buying things for people they don't need or want? My favorite is restaurant gift cards. None of us need more stuff, but a dinner out is always welcome and sometimes desperately needed.

2. Taking turns with Christmas dinner. My wife's family is extremely good about this (mine not so much). This year is our turn, so her family and mine will be coming over. Next year it's her sister's turn, and the year after that is her other sister's turn, so we go over there. This is fair in regards to cost and workload. No one should be burdened every year hosting and paying for dinner on Christmas Day. My family is welcome when we are hosting, but when it's my wife's family hosting, they can fend for themselves. I don't fall for the guilt crap from my family. There's nothing stopping them from hosting a dinner if they want to see us that badly. That of course shuts them up immediately. Because we were at my sister-in-law's place last Christmas Day, my family did their own thing. We saw my dad and step mother a week later and went to an inexpensive restaurant for our meal. We had dinner with my mother on Christmas Eve at her place. My sister does sweet fuck all for anyone, so I didn't see her at all which was fine with me. My dead beat brother who treats family like something to take off the shelf and play with when he feels nostalgic (and then ignore for the next year) thankfully lives on the other side of the country. All others are "not my problem". My mother is really bad for this. She always wants to have people over on Christmas Day who mean nothing to me. I tell her to go ahead and have her own Christmas with them, and I'll see her after Christmas. It's not my problem that some of her friends have deadbeat kids who ignore them over the holidays. That may sound cold, but it's non-stop with my mom. I would end up having a houseful of people over who mean nothing to me making it uncomfortable for my wife and I, and also costing us money to feed and create extra work to cater to and clean up after.

The first year in our first house we bought, we hosted 3 dinners in a row - Christmas Eve, Christmas Day and Boxing Day. I was ready to slit my throat by Boxing Day. Never again! The first year in our new country home, my cousins weaseled an invitation to Christmas Day dinner, so it was a mad house. Between my immediate family as well as my wife's immediate family plus my cousins and their kids, there were about 30 people over. That was three years ago, and we still haven't received an invitation to their place for Christmas Day dinner despite their promise to us that they would "host next time". Needless to say I don't feel any guilt by saying "never again" in regards to them not being invited over. You really have to draw the line and stand your ground or people will take advantage. Everyone loves a free meal and not having to do any work.

Last edited by a moderator:

pp_ryder

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Just at a big box home "improvement" store today. Full bore, all-out Christmas stuff all over the department. 90˚ forecast for tomorrow (in the NE where it should be freezing or below well before the holidays.)

Reactions: MisterB

Tight_N_Juicy

Mythical Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
Pansexual
I've never put up a tree, not one time since I moved out on my own.

No decorations, no music... I just don't care and haven't since long before the year I moved out of my parents house. That was a pretty long time ago.

I am fine with those who love the holiday season, I just get annoyed as fuck that it's not ONE SEASON. It's half the damn year we have to hear/see Christmas crap everywhere.

There are already decorations and trees in the grocery stores. I can't avoid the ever too frequent view of my own brain as my eyes roll into my jaded skull.

Then there are the people who literally get Offended if you don't return their holiday cheer. If you are one of these people, please understand this: I'm not trying to keep YOU from celebrating. Do your thing, it makes no difference to me. Just like my lack of need to celebrate has NO affect on YOU. Stop trying to force everyone to say "Merry Christmas". Some of us sincerely don't care how upset you are about it, because you're the one who's getting completely irrationally angry about a "war on Christmas" that doesn't even exist. It's ridiculous.

LaFemme

Mythical Member
Staff
Verified
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
I've never put up a tree, not one time since I moved out on my own.

No decorations, no music... I just don't care and haven't since long before the year I moved out of my parents house. That was a pretty long time ago.

I am fine with those who love the holiday season, I just get annoyed as fuck that it's not ONE SEASON. It's half the damn year we have to hear/see Christmas crap everywhere.

There are already decorations and trees in the grocery stores. I can't avoid the ever too frequent view of my own brain as my eyes roll into my jaded skull.

Then there are the people who literally get Offended if you don't return their holiday cheer. If you are one of these people, please understand this: I'm not trying to keep YOU from celebrating. Do your thing, it makes no difference to me. Just like my lack of need to celebrate has NO affect on YOU. Stop trying to force everyone to say "Merry Christmas". Some of us sincerely don't care how upset you are about it, because you're the one who's getting completely irrationally angry about a "war on Christmas" that doesn't even exist. It's ridiculous.
Yeah, I don’t do that. No Merry Christmas’ and no annoying music. I don’t get upset at all by the ‘war on Christmas’. Lots of people don’t celebrate for a variety of reasons. It’s all fine by me. I work with a few Muslim people. Christmas is not their thing, either. I know people who grieve through the holidays. Christmas is a knife through the heart. I just leave holiday stuff alone.

Tight_N_Juicy

Mythical Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
Pansexual
Christmas is a knife through the heart..

Sure will be for me this year.

I don't celebrate at my house, but I shared my Christmas story with you all last year in RLG about how I specifically waited a week after confirming my pregnancy to tell my family because it was right before Christmas when I found out. I was already 6 weeks along.

My entire family was so happy, crying with excitement for us. This year, I don't even want to see them. Not because I don't love them, they live two minutes away. I just don't want to do anything at all this year.

Kinda part of why I'm already frustrated with the season.

For those of us who can't bring the joy forth on holidays anymore, I just had to vent a little.

I do look forward to Dia De Los Muertos this year though. I kinda wanna get one, and put it next to her urn: f8fdbfd4-a62f-484c-83cc-4ee3e3a927f0-Barbie_DeLosMuertos_1.jpg

:heart:

LaFemme

Mythical Member
Staff
Verified
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
Sure will be for me this year.

I don't celebrate at my house, but I shared my Christmas story with you all last year in RLG about how I specifically waited a week after confirming my pregnancy to tell my family because it was right before Christmas when I found out. I was already 6 weeks along.

My entire family was so happy, crying with excitement for us. This year, I don't even want to see them. Not because I don't love them, they live two minutes away. I just don't want to do anything at all this year.

Kinda part of why I'm already frustrated with the season.

For those of us who can't bring the joy forth on holidays anymore, I just had to vent a little.

I do look forward to Dia De Los Muertos this year though. I kinda wanna get one, and put it next to her urn: View attachment 7193971
:heart:
You should do that. Dia De Los Muertos will be her day. A day you can openly celebrate her. I’d totally buy her that.