chris4869

Sexy Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Sorcerer,
Choppy video and audio usually mean your computer is not fast enough to process the DVD data. Wrong drivers can also do that too since your computer is using the "generic" drivers that are not optimized for speed.

To check your audio and video card drivers:
  1. Right-click on the "My Computer" icon on your desktop and choose the Manage option.
  2. Click on "Device Manager" on the left pane.
  3. Check your "Display adapters" and "Sound, video..." for any "X" or "!". If you have "X" or "!" then you need to download the proper driver for it.
You can always update both drivers, but I have a feeling that your computer is just too underpowered. It's time to upgrade bud.

LeeEJ

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
It won't be time to upgrade if the computer used to play them fine...

LeeEJ

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
This one isn't an old beast. I got it new a little over a year ago. It played them fine when I got it.

Right -- I mean, computers have had DVD drives for quite a few years now, and they should continue to work for the life of the computer, barring a hardware failure.

I would be pissed as all hell if a computer of mine started crapping out like that on the software side.

dcwrestlefan

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
When I play DVD's, they seem to play slowly and the audio has some sort of rolling distortion. What's wrong? Drivers?

(karen from "will and grace" voice on)

oh honey. do you think your computer really gives a shit what you want? hehe. they are like cats. ask them to do something and they show you the middle claw. the world belongs to them, not us.

dvd movies don't work at all on my desktop, but do on my laptop. and my desktop is supposedly more advanced and faster. both dell.

mine started blowing chunks audio wise when i installed itunes for my ipod. yeh, it makes this weird propeller noise between tracks unless i start a new subdirectory for new music, but not all the time. wtf. i gave up and live with it. will be watching this thread in case someone techno oriented has answers.

Lex

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
This one isn't an old beast. I got it new a little over a year ago. It played them fine when I got it.

Chris, I'm not finding "Device Manager". I'll keep looking.

Windows XP SP 2
Home Edition
HP/Compaq
AMD Sempron Processor
3200+
1.80 GHz, 448 MB RAM

I say it's your RAM handsome. Playing mpeg video is much easier than uncoding a DVD.

When I bought my Dells a year ago, they came with 512 RAM, I upgraded to 1 GIG. Get some more. You can install it yourself and it will make your machine lightning fast.

And yes, OPEN WIDE.

fortiesfun

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
I was so disappointed to find out what this thread was about, and even more disappointed that all the best jokes have already been taken. (What a surprise. I got here after ChicagoSam and have to settle for sloppy seconds...)

chris4869

Sexy Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight

Chris, I'm not finding "Device Manager". I'll keep looking.

Windows XP SP 2
Home Edition
HP/Compaq
AMD Sempron Processor
3200+
1.80 GHz, 448 MB RAM

Socerer,
Your computer is pretty fast, so I say lets focus on something else. Lex might be right about your RAM too. I can't believe HP sells XP machines with 448 MB RAM. Whatever happen to the other 64 MB? =P

Your "Device Manager" might be hidden. Try expanding the "System Tools" by either double-clicking it OR click on the "+" sign next to the "System Tools". Once you find it, just click on it and your devices will appear on the right panel. Now that you mention your steaming video and divx video play fine, I think you should start testing your DVD drive. Try a different DVD disc (preferably not a burned copy). If you still have problems, you might have to swap out the DVD drive. Borrow one for the test if you can. A new one costs less than $50 nowaday.

I think Microsoft enables DMA by default for CD/DVD player since Windows 2000. Good luck. We're all here to help ya.

HUNGHUGE11X7

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Earth/USA/GA! DEEP IN YOUR THROAT,See vid TO SEE H
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
When I play DVD's, they seem to play slowly and the audio has some sort of rolling distortion. What's wrong? Drivers?

Your problem is either a slow processor or insufficient memory or BOTH. one thing you could try is save the video files FROM the dvd to your hard drive then DL a video player called VLC. Put VLC player in google and you will find it. Now try and view the files with VLC that may help a little cause it takes more CPU power and memory to run the DVD player than it does a file on your Hard drive.
Good luck

:banana:
HORSE