Fucking Computer

WessexEN

Experimental Member
Media
If you look out of the window of a passing train,
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Socerer,
Your computer is pretty fast, so I say lets focus on something else. Lex might be right about your RAM too. I can't believe HP sells XP machines with 448 MB RAM. Whatever happen to the other 64 MB? =P

Its been "stolen" by the IGP, the specs indicate its probably a budget PC, so a quick way to cut cost, is instead of the Intergrated Graphics Processor (IGP for short) having some of its own dedicated ram, it takes some off the main memory, whereas GPUs (Graphics Processing unit) usually has its own dedicated ram.

HTHs

RoyalT

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Try shutting down everything except WMP.

Or use Media Player Classic to play movies. It is a lot better than Windows MP.

Download K-Lite codec pack and install the DVD decoders especially. MPC comes with K-Lite. Or play your DVD's with PowerDVD or any other DVD playing software.

Free-Codecs.com : Download K-Lite Codec Pack 2.83 FULL, K-Lite Codec Pack 2.83 STANDARD, K-Lite Codec Pack 2.83 BASIC : K-Lite Codec Pack is a collection of codecs and related tools

Alternatively copy the .VOB files to your hard drive. Rename the end to .MPEG or .MPG and they'll play. Use a video joiner program to join them.

Could also be an integrated graphics card. I bought a cheap Geforce graphics card and turned off the integrated graphics.

MPC > VLC

Failing this, buy a DVD player :biggrin1:

kamikazee_club

1st Like
Media
Alternatively copy the .VOB files to your hard drive. Rename the end to .MPEG or .MPG and they'll play. Use a video joiner program to join them.

You can't and they won't.

You can't usually do that (most commercial DVDs are copy protected) and even if you could they won't just rename and play as you say because they are not in MPEG format, they are in VOB (Video Object) format. They need to be ripped/converted to your hard drive. You would also need the IFO file to make sense of the chapters/subtitles etc as the VOB files are not necessarily logically structured.

To add to the confusion some VOB files are merely encrypted MPEG2 files encyrpted to prevent copying, this may be what you're referring to. But either way you can't just copy them and play them without the right tools.

Failing this, buy a DVD player :biggrin1:

That will work, sure but involves expense and rather defeats the point don't you think?

Personally I'd back up all my vital data, and use the system restore disk. patch the system up to date and restore data and install a good DVD software player though for day to day use WMP works fine. It may take an hour or two but how long have you wasted already?

RoyalT

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I've played .VOB files before by renaming them. Maybe it was a copied DVD I made...or someone made. But I did play VOB files as .MPEG

I think it was a copied DVD though...but maybe DVD Decrypter + renaming would work?

Anyway a DVD player is best. Lots of cheap brands will play anything. Even my TV/DVD combi plays anything.

kamikazee_club

1st Like
Media
I've played .VOB files before by renaming them. Maybe it was a copied DVD I made...or someone made. But I did play VOB files as .MPEG

I think it was a copied DVD though...but maybe DVD Decrypter + renaming would work?

Anyway a DVD player is best. Lots of cheap brands will play anything. Even my TV/DVD combi plays anything.

Sounds the most likely, some of the copy protection on DVDs is a pain. An unencrypted MPEG renamed a a VOB would when re-named back prob play fine. Usually that's what a ripper does (in loose terms).

I agree a dedicated DVD player would be fine but that solution doesn't solve his problem, I have a old P3 laptop which plays DVDs fine so his PC should have no problems. Sometimes a wipe and reset is easier than hours of messing round trying to solve a problem and maybe failing or making it worse!

WessexEN

Experimental Member
Media
If you look out of the window of a passing train,
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Personally I'd back up all my vital data, and use the system restore disk. patch the system up to date and restore data and install a good DVD software player though for day to day use WMP works fine. It may take an hour or two but how long have you wasted already?

Or better yet, copy your vital data to an external medium, get a windows installation disk if your PC came with one and do an entire reformat of the computer. This should alievate most problems, as it seeems like your OS is clogged with crap basically. Programs that have downloaded themselves to your computer, not properly uninstalled programs (I.e. deleting a program), etc, these add to time taken to do things by the PC.

HTHs, even if it is a slight repeat. :)