Fuji - Compact Flash Error?

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by B_ScaredLittleBoy, Nov 19, 2007.

1. B_ScaredLittleBoy

B_ScaredLittleBoy New Member

I promise this is the last camera thread! :tongue:

But I just tried using this Compact Flash card I bought (Transcend 4GB) and I get a card error in the Fujji Finepix SLR7000 every time!

Is it the camera or the card? I think the camera is an old model - maybe it can't cope with 4GB/the transcend card?

Thanks peeps.

PS I turn the camera on with the CF in and it says card error. SD works fine. The CF card is in correctly too.

2. VeeP

Gold Member

Albums:
    Well, I know with SD when they went from 2GB to 4GB they went from plain SD to SDHC (= "High Capacity") which is a different technology and the device must support SDHC in order to use the card. Don't know if they same holds true for CF, however...

3. snoozan

Gold Member

Try another CF card, and get another brand. If the one you have is a Lexar, for example, get a Lexar or another brand. Also, can you format the card in the camera, or are you getting the error and can't do anything with the card? You may want to try formatting the card in your computer before you put it in the camera. If you do all of the above and you still get the error, it's probably the camera, in which case, take it back if you can. I forget if you said if it's used or not, but as a rule I warn against buying camera bodies (digital especially but even film) that are used. In fact, there's not much electronic or camera equipment I feel comfortable buying used.

I don't think this is the case-- I've had to do some tweaking to get a12MB CF working in one of the cameras I use, but as far as I know there wasn't a change in the cards that would affect compatibility. I'm not 100% sure, but I've used new CF cards in a 5 year old camera. If this is the case, there may be a firmware update for the camera that can take care of it.

4. B_ScaredLittleBoy

Hmm. I don't wanna buy another card because its not my camera and don't want to be spending another £30 an another card that might not even work.

Maybe there's a setup you have to do in the camera to get it to work? Although I think since it has a CF slot any CF card should work.

Although I think I recall in the listing it didn't have Fuji listed in the list of compatible manufactuers. But another listing said it worked with Fuji.

Is it possible its a CF card that for some reason works with most brands except Fuji? Cos that's fucked up!

5. geitjeshoeder

geitjeshoeder Active Member

Maybe it's possible to upgrade the firmware or try and format the card in a pc reader and make 1 partition of 1024mb and try it again. Some camera's can't cope with 4GB. Also try to format it as FAT16 in stead of FAT32 or NTFS. In some cases some nideks will even accept HFS formatted 4GB CFs

6. B_ScaredLittleBoy

Thanks. I had a feeling it might be incompatible with the camera. So you don't think the card is one that won't work with Fuji? It does seem strange that there'd be a card that will work with other brands but not Fuji...

I'll get a reader then format it. Windows can do that right?

EDIT: Ooh my PC has a reader for every memory card type. Isn't that handy?

Also just noticed that in my PC it goes in the opposite way that it went in the camera?

But when I put it in the camera it went in easily and seemed a good fit. Trying to put it in the other way (the way it is in my PC) didn't work and required force and even then it wouldn't go in...

Hmm.

Wait! Windows Xp doesn't let me partition the drive, only reformat it. AND the capacity is read as 3.79GB...

Is there some software I can use to partition/reformat it?

Thanks.

Its formatted FAT32 right now. I'll format it to 1Gb FAT16 and see if it works tomorrow.

7. B_ScaredLittleBoy

Okay I managed to format it to NTFS (found a DOS command). Now to partition it. I read other people had problems with FAT32 Sandisk cards. FAT16 and NTFS seem to work okay for some reason.

Draft saved Draft deleted