Mythical Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
I've thought about this too, and my guess is that some guys simply don't want to go through the hassle of undressing and redressing, especially if they haven't brought a change of clothes, don't have time to shower at the gym, etc. At least at my gym, I personally have never seen anyone use the sauna in clothes and then go take a shower. The people who do this are usually in and out quite quickly. Are the guys at your gym staying in for long periods or doing repeated sauna sessions?

Before I start my workout, I will stretch in the sauna - usually 5-7 minutes - in all my gear (sans shoes), but always do so standing up. After my workout, I go completely nude. My gym is at a university, so on occasion you will see the sports players come in wearing layers upon layers of clothing, presumably under the assumption that they'll "sweat off" more weight.

Reactions: JasonBulge

Sailingbear

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Treyburn, North Carolina, United States of America
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
My gym clothes before workout are clean. I spend 5 to 10 minutes in sauna before workout usually in my gym shorts then go out on the floor and work out with a warm body. In the morewinter it just feels good to be warm, in the summer time I might skip the sauna warm up and hit it aftwards for 20 to 30 mins. After my workout I wear a towel nothing else but flip flops and go in the sauna spend 20 to 30 minutes and then take a cool shower

Reactions: Saint Raphael

bothhands

Loved Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
We just have a dry sauna at my gym. it's a 2 person and I've never seen anyone coming out naked or even toweled, shirtless but always shorts. I'm thinking out of respect more then anything.

txviewer

Loved Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
I saw this happen on a cruise I took back in 2018. Sorry, but if you go into a sauna then you either a) need to be nude or b) only wearing a towel. Like one person commented earlier, it ruins the whole vibe.

My old gym was full of homophobic crazy old men, not educated at all, and they would all wear underwear into the sauna/steam area, if you went naked, they would all freak out... funny thing is that there was tons of gay sex going on at the same time... more homophobic environment makes people even hornier i guess

Okay. It's interesting that some people are defending those that way clothing in the sauna, which defeats the purpose of the sauna itself. But I do think it's more of a cultural thing. Saunas in Europe (especially Germany, which has A Sauna culture) are far more strict on having nothing but a towel wrapped around you when entering the sauna. The USA has no such restrictions. Plus, I think that Europeans are more comfortable with the idea of being almost or completely nude because of the the fact that nudity and sex aren't inextricably linked to each other, and therefore have the taboo taken out of it, whereas in the USA, seeing a guy nude in a locker room implies that you like him because nudity is solely associated with sex, hence many guys are uncomfortable with being naked in front of other men and will bend off backwards for nobody to see them completely naked. I don't think it's fair to bash either culture, but I do think that we should try to understand people's thought process rather than boil it down to "he's dumb" or "he's weird". If a guy from the USA visited a German sauna, he'd have to get naked. And if they opposite happened, the German would have to understand that not everyone is comfortable with being naked.

Mikes8

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I am the kind of guy who uses the steam and sauna fully naked with just a towel wrapped around my waist, but I see lots of people coming into the sauna fully clothed before or after their workouts.
First of all I find it not hygienic, and slightly annoying, then, why do they do that?

I agree, they smell,some even leave there gym clothes to dry!! but i throw them in the TRASH!! The only ones i consider is the high school guys on the wrestling Team that have to weigh in the next morning. most of the wear a plastic sweat suite, The other assholes are looking to lose wight?? Get out on the floor and work out!!!

D

deleted972301

Okay. It's interesting that some people are defending those that way clothing in the sauna, which defeats the purpose of the sauna itself. But I do think it's more of a cultural thing. Saunas in Europe (especially Germany, which has A Sauna culture) are far more strict on having nothing but a towel wrapped around you when entering the sauna. The USA has no such restrictions. Plus, I think that Europeans are more comfortable with the idea of being almost or completely nude because of the the fact that nudity and sex aren't inextricably linked to each other, and therefore have the taboo taken out of it, whereas in the USA, seeing a guy nude in a locker room implies that you like him because nudity is solely associated with sex, hence many guys are uncomfortable with being naked in front of other men and will bend off backwards for nobody to see them completely naked. I don't think it's fair to bash either culture, but I do think that we should try to understand people's thought process rather than boil it down to "he's dumb" or "he's weird". If a guy from the USA visited a German sauna, he'd have to get naked. And if they opposite happened, the German would have to understand that not everyone is comfortable with being naked.

After living in Europe for a few years, I agree with this statement.

Lookinginconshy

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
Most people just do not understand the proper use and purpose of sauna. Sauna is to relax, sweat out toxins in your skin, helps regulate your blood pressure, refresh your mind and a social venue. It is not a weight loss venue as you only lose water - exercise and kitchen is for that!

Proper ritual is shower before entering so you are clean, go in dry and unclothed, no footwear, sit on or be covered loosely by a towel. You may wear a felt sauna cap if you like, be quiet and respectful, enjoy a quiet conversation if one is happening otherwise sit quiet, stay 10-15 minutes, go out and take a cold shower or jump in a icy cold dip pool ( dunk yourself 3x), sit 10 minutes outside the sauna, Drink some water, enter the sauna for another 10 to 15 minute session and repeat the process several times (3 minimum). If your sauna has 3 level seating, sit on the 2nd or top level as the lower level the temperature is too low for any good.

Wearing clothing defeats the purpose of evenly warming your body, not allowing sweat to escape and restricts air flow. Also be respectful - NO PHONES, no music, No doing dances or exercises, no staring and no pouring water on the rocks without asking others if they are ok as it raises heat Very high that some may be sensitive too. Also have the sense to get out of the sauna if you feel light headed.

I’m Northern Eastern European and here sauna is like a sanctuary and a ritual often shared with friends, business associates and whole families. My family enjoy sauna several times weekly very much both at home and the public sauna. Same ritual home or public.

there are some very good Informative sauna videos on YouTube if you are interested or serious about sauna.

Sorry for length.

WilliamG

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Cammer
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
I kind of envy those that enjoy the sauna. In all my years, I've never used a gyms sauna. I change into my gym clothes and go workout. I go home in my gym clothes (towel on the drivers seat. Why? Always a crush for time (after work - still need to eat). Also, some gyms just don't have what I would call a clean sauna. But these days? May stick with my at home workout for a while.

D

deleted972421

Most people just do not understand the proper use and purpose of sauna. Sauna is to relax, sweat out toxins in your skin, helps regulate your blood pressure, refresh your mind and a social venue. It is not a weight loss venue as you only lose water - exercise and kitchen is for that!

Proper ritual is shower before entering so you are clean, go in dry and unclothed, no footwear, sit on or be covered loosely by a towel. You may wear a felt sauna cap if you like, be quiet and respectful, enjoy a quiet conversation if one is happening otherwise sit quiet, stay 10-15 minutes, go out and take a cold shower or jump in a icy cold dip pool ( dunk yourself 3x), sit 10 minutes outside the sauna, Drink some water, enter the sauna for another 10 to 15 minute session and repeat the process several times (3 minimum). If your sauna has 3 level seating, sit on the 2nd or top level as the lower level the temperature is too low for any good.

Wearing clothing defeats the purpose of evenly warming your body, not allowing sweat to escape and restricts air flow. Also be respectful - NO PHONES, no music, No doing dances or exercises, no staring and no pouring water on the rocks without asking others if they are ok as it raises heat Very high that some may be sensitive too. Also have the sense to get out of the sauna if you feel light headed.

I’m Northern Eastern European and here sauna is like a sanctuary and a ritual often shared with friends, business associates and whole families. My family enjoy sauna several times weekly very much both at home and the public sauna. Same ritual home or public.

there are some very good Informative sauna videos on YouTube if you are interested or serious about sauna.

Sorry for length.
He writes the truth! All very good information here, thank you for posting. Only question I have... when someone pours water on the rocks, I don't think the temperature increases, rather, it's the humidity that increases immediately giving the impression that it gets a lot hotter. It's the same idea as the heat index the weather forecaster talks about.

Lookinginconshy

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
[QUOTE="beachforme, post: 33129811, member: 972421
Only question I have... when someone pours water on the rocks, I don't think the temperature increases, rather, it's the humidity that increases immediately giving the impression that it gets a lot hotter. It's the same idea as the heat index the weather forecaster talks about.[/QUOTE]
You are most likely correct..it is like steam coming off a tea kettle. - it stings and can be uncomfortable for a few minutes.