Fun in Houston Texas

Elastic

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
When it comes to America people genrealy don't know much of Houston or Texas. We are a city in a state that's lw on the radar. When you ask people where Houston or even Texas is they don't know. That's if they've heard of it at all.

America has a bad habbit of think crazy sillyness about people they don't know. Sadly some are even in a huge part of their country.When it comes to Texas people have silly 19th century stereotypes in mind, Like we ride horses,carry guns,or wear 6 gallon hats. Being here and most people here know that's compltly stupid Like people would tell me when they go Up North people speak that they think we have oil derricks in our backyards. George W.Bush and King Of The Hill don't help the perpetuation of the stereotypes.

Texas is infact hi-tech,modern,and has one of the world's most diverse societies. Houston is the nation's 3rd gayest city and 4th largest.When they come here,ther're always suprised on how urban it is and that there aren't that many rednecks.

So if you've ever come to Houston or even Texas tell your opinion and what's your impression of The Lone Star.

Media
Sorry to say this but I was born and raised in Houston. After Six Flags was taken away and other cool stuff this place is garbage and full of trash. And it's hard to get a good job out here. Alot of people are moving away from this crap hole of a once so called great place. I mean what is up with Metro light rail? Houston is pretty late on that. And it's been causing problems. This place needs to stop acting cool or trying to emulate the style of other major fun popular cities.

Sorry for the rant but I am trying to get the hell up out this boring hell hole.

No wonder people never heard of this boring place.

HazelGod

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
people have silly 19th century stereotypes in mind, Like we ride horses,carry guns,or wear 6 gallon hats.

How long have you lived in Texas, that you don't even know the correct form of these stereotypes you're denouncing?

It's six-shooters and ten-gallon hats, dude.

Like I mentioned in the other thread...Houston has some neat areas, but overall it sucks balls. And I don't mean just in the Montrose district.

Media
How long have you lived in Texas, that you don't even know the correct form of these stereotypes you're denouncing?

Like I mentioned in the other thread...Houston has some neat areas, but overall it sucks balls. And I don't mean just in the Montrose district.

Hahaha good one. But really this place is horrible. For everyone reading this DONT COME TO HOUSTON!!

Eva

Experimental Member
Media
Crissy, I wonder about your age and life experiences due to your hatred of Houston. This city has always had a very good job market, even when the rest of the country was in the job-market toilet. The pay here is pretty damn good, depending on what you do, and the cost of living is dirt cheap. Your responses always strike me as that of a late-age teen who is just pissy about living in the same place most of her life.

For the record, Six Flags Astroworld here was a joke. Don't believe me? Check out Six Flags Magic Mountain in California. Astroworld in Houston was like a tiny, podunk, asshole carnival in comparison. I was shocked when I went and found that the park was teeny and in need of tearing down. I'm glad they finally did it. Sea World in San Antonio had better rides. (And not just the dolphins.)

I also find that most people know where Texas is and where Houston is. I don't know who you've been talking to Elastic, but seek out higher forms of life!

Elastic

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight

See that's just how untexan I am. I don't know a 6shooter or a 10 Gallon
hat. 1 traditional Texas was talking to me and I asked what was the difference between a bull and steer. He's like"I don't know a Texas that doesn't know what a steer is!". I'm like I'm a new modern texan who lives in the city. HE then explained a steer is a bull with it's nuts pulled off.

I talk to people from other parts of the country all the time. They're liek Houston..........where's that. I sometimes talk in voicechat and when they here me talked they're so shocked. "But you don't have a Southern Accent!"..I have to explaint o them most Texans talk normally with no Southern Draw.

Media
Crissy, I wonder about your age and life experiences due to your hatred of Houston. This city has always had a very good job market, even when the rest of the country was in the job-market toilet. The pay here is pretty damn good, depending on what you do, and the cost of living is dirt cheap. Your responses always strike me as that of a late-age teen who is just pissy about living in the same place most of her life.

For the record, Six Flags Astroworld here was a joke. Don't believe me? Check out Six Flags Magic Mountain in California. Astroworld in Houston was like a tiny, podunk, asshole carnival in comparison. I was shocked when I went and found that the park was teeny and in need of tearing down. I'm glad they finally did it. Sea World in San Antonio had better rides. (And not just the dolphins.)

I also find that most people know where Texas is and where Houston is. I don't know who you've been talking to Elastic, but seek out higher forms of life!

I disagree because I grew up with six flags here in Houston. All of my fond memories took place there and now those memories are torn down along with it. The only good things are downtown. Anywhere else around Houston sucks. The only interesting thing that was put here recently was the dinner movie grill. Now whoever came up with that made life a little better here in Houston. You sit in a theater with a table in front of you eat dinner and watch a movie. Great stuff but really other than that it's not fun here.

And the cost of living is not dirt cheap here in Houston. Have you seen rent for an apartment nowadays here in Houston? Back when I was a little girl rent was $400.00 a month for a two bedroom and bath. Now it's $900.00-$2,000 and that's not for a two bedroom either, some of those are single room apartments. You might as well rent a house here it's about the same. Don't even get me started on electricity here. The shit sucks.

Eva

Experimental Member
Media
I see you avoided the age question altogether.

I work downtown and I find that while it's an excellent work environment, everything closes at 6pm except the bars. The downtown bars are alright if you like dancing with cookie cutter barbie dolls (count me out) and paying $10 to park and have your car broken into anyway. I'd rather just go to a bar near my house so that I can take a cab. Taking a cab downtown runs over $30. Not worth it. Neither are any of the covers that downtown bars charge.

As for rent, you have to look around. I'm paying $575 for 1000 square feet, assigned covered parking, w/d, dishwasher, wet bar, fireplace, sunken living room, two porches, free cable, and central ac/heat. I don't live in the ghetto. I've found a lot of 2 bedroom places that are under $700 in several areas I'd be willing to live in.

Electricity is expensive everywhere.

quercusone

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
The downtown bars are alright if you like dancing with cookie cutter barbie dolls (count me out) . Neither are any of the covers that downtown bars charge.

When I come down to Houston I hang out downtown usually at the Flying Saucer....no cover, regular people, great beer selection...they have my IPAs on draft!

Eva

Experimental Member
Media
When I come down to Houston I hang out downtown usually at the Flying Saucer....no cover, regular people, great beer selection...they have my IPAs on draft!

That's the one bar I'll make concessions for, actually. I work a few blocks down from there so I walk over and get the pretzels for lunch. I also do most of our work happy hours there because everyone can get what they want (and I can order the expensive beers on the company's Diner's Club card). I know a dude who lives in the apartments above the Saucer. If I did that, my liver would give out in a month! (And then I'd be evicted because I'd spend all my rent money on beer.)

Crissy, what area are you living in? Are you going to school or working? What industry if you're working? I ask because I might be able to point you in the direction of a better job to hold you over and pad your bank account until you get the savings to move. Have you considered moving over to Austin? It's a rougher job market there but there are jobs out there. (My company actually pays less to ATX employees than the HTX employees because it's a smaller market and they've got more people who want to work in that city than the office can handle; kinda sucks since ATX cost of living is higher than HTX.) A friend of mine is pretty well connected in Austin as well, so I might be able to get some leads there as well.

Also, with you being 20, I imagine it would be a lot less fun in Houston than the 21+ crowd would find. Is your birthday soon? Do you actually like beer? (Many women don't.) I might be able to introduce you to a few good places to hang out that may make the remainder of your Houston days more bearable. Chances are, you've already heard of most of them as you've lived here far longer than I have, but the offer stands.

Oh! One thing I will say--queso outside of Texas is not worth the bother. I think there's a statewide mandate that crack must be put into any and all queso in Texas so as to make it more addictive and better tasting than anywhere else in the world.

Elastic

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
Downtown sucks. That place was so boring they're trying to rennovate it. All the action happens on The West Side down Westheimer. Also there's stuff up North on 1960.

Media
That's the one bar I'll make concessions for, actually. I work a few blocks down from there so I walk over and get the pretzels for lunch. I also do most of our work happy hours there because everyone can get what they want (and I can order the expensive beers on the company's Diner's Club card). I know a dude who lives in the apartments above the Saucer. If I did that, my liver would give out in a month! (And then I'd be evicted because I'd spend all my rent money on beer.)

Crissy, what area are you living in? Are you going to school or working? What industry if you're working? I ask because I might be able to point you in the direction of a better job to hold you over and pad your bank account until you get the savings to move. Have you considered moving over to Austin? It's a rougher job market there but there are jobs out there. (My company actually pays less to ATX employees than the HTX employees because it's a smaller market and they've got more people who want to work in that city than the office can handle; kinda sucks since ATX cost of living is higher than HTX.) A friend of mine is pretty well connected in Austin as well, so I might be able to get some leads there as well.

Also, with you being 20, I imagine it would be a lot less fun in Houston than the 21+ crowd would find. Is your birthday soon? Do you actually like beer? (Many women don't.) I might be able to introduce you to a few good places to hang out that may make the remainder of your Houston days more bearable. Chances are, you've already heard of most of them as you've lived here far longer than I have, but the offer stands.

Oh! One thing I will say--queso outside of Texas is not worth the bother. I think there's a statewide mandate that crack must be put into any and all queso in Texas so as to make it more addictive and better tasting than anywhere else in the world.

Well basically I work in the financial industry I work with debt negotiator's money is great but since I started working I have been paying off my bad debt. Although they don't know I have debt and I work with debt negotiators go figure. And I can't move to Austin unless I want to go the New York Film Academy and take my music lessons in San Fransisco. I mentioned this on the other thread that I am afraid to make the wrong decision on where to move it's either NY or CA. But I mean money isn't a really bad issue it's just that I am trying to save enough to live in those to states where it's way expensive

BTW my birthday has already passed it was July 28! And I don't drink unless it's a holiday/special ocassions. But it would be nice to hangout with new people for a change. Maybe show me around I guess. But I would feel weird to meet someone on here from Houston Lol! I can give it a try it's no problem.

HazelGod

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I dunno if it's still there, but Mrs. HG and I like to hang out @ Maxwell's Pub before we got married. If memory serves, it's at Shepherd & Alabama...a little hole in the wall with peanut hulls on the floor and some badass ESBs on tap.

Also, there was a club right off Montrose & Westheimer called South Beach...that place was the shit. 98% gay and lesbian patronage, underwear models in banana hammocks as club dancers, a DJ who should have been playing Ibiza, and faghags by the dozen that put runway models to shame...not to mention the regular "clouds" of liquid nitrogen they dropped on the dance floor throughout the night. Loved that place.