Fundamentalism and indoctrination of kids

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by tygrrr, Sep 19, 2006.

1. tygrrr

tygrrr New Member

There is an interesting discussion going on about fundamentalism as such, but I decided to put this in a separate thread since it has a special focus on kids: I watched a youtube clip from a Bible Camp for kids (Pastor Becky Fischer's Bible camp in North Dakota) that contained the following: speaking in tongues, weeping for salvation, praying for an end to abortion and worshipping with a large cardboard cutout of President Bush kept very visibly in the room.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=co1_9lR9EpM

I found it quite shocking to watch - this certainly is a long long way from Sunday school teachings as I experienced them myself.

Pastor Fisher says: "I want to see them as radically laying down their lives for the gospel as they are in Palestine, Pakistan and all those different places - because, excuse me, we have the truth."

Watching this clip made me think that this is actually akin to child abuse. The way I see it, children should be protected from experiencing something like this. - Do you agree? - Any other thoughts?

2. hot-rod

Gold Member

There's no such thing as "gospel".....This shit was written by people just like you and me. These people were high on something....opium poppies, maybe?

3. joyboytoy79

Gold Member

Albums:
    Wow.

This is sick on so many levels. Children are impressionable. One of the great things about being a child is that it's so EASY to believe things. Children don't need to be handed something to believe in, as pastor Becky seems to think. There's plenty out there for them. What really bothers me though is that some of these kids seem to think it's OK to "die for god." It's only a small step before that "die" turns into "kill."

Yikes.

4. Gillette

Gold Member

Albums:
    Holy Shit

5. jakeatolla

Gold Member

Albums:
    This is wrong on so many levels.
    But, why is no one comming out against
    Hamas for doing the same thing ?

I don't recall ever seeing a thread castigating
    muslims for brainwashing their children against
    Jewish people and wanting to push Israel into the sea ?

Deep down , people are people no matter where they live.
    We're all fucked up and flawed, and the same no matter
    what Religion we choose to believe .

6. rob_just_rob

Gold Member

Well, to be fair, the mainstream press has had plenty of stories about radical Muslim clerics inciting violence and indoctrinating the young. The story cited in this thread is new to me, so I'm glad it was posted.

Bottom line: Christian, Islamic, Hindu, Jewish... fundamentalists of ANY faith are pretty damn scary.

7. D_Sheffield Thongbynder

Succinct and accurate. What a sad state of affairs.

8. Lordpendragon

Gold Member

My personal Christian friends have closed the door on this subject with me.

However I hope that the Christians (or other faiths) will have a look at this if only to understand why moderate non-believers get so worried about what is going on.

9. Gillette

Gold Member

Albums:
    This is enough to scare the crap out of Christian believers too. Anyone with more than a single synapse firing should get the willies from seeing that.

I have to wonder if the parents who sent their kids to this "church camp" knew precisely what would be going on. If they did know in advance and still chose to send their kids, then I really, really despair for the future of this planet.

10. Pecker

Pecker Retired Moderator
    Gold Member

You're going to find extemists on both ends of this argument. Who is to judge which is right and which, if any, is wrong?

11. B_Stronzo

B_Stronzo New Member

that was an extremely disturbing watch...

Increasingly we become and us and them society. What remains with me after watching that is the blond boy speaking in "tongues" so vulnerable and easily swayed to believe that shit's real.

Why isn't this "child molestation"? I say it is.

12. dudepiston

dudepiston New Member

Good point, here, Pecker, but I think ethicists & philosophers throughout the ages might have a thing or two to say about right vs. wrong. There really IS a solid, unshakable right, and an equal evil to balance it out.

One measuring stick we might use to judge extremists on both sides is "purity of intent." The Muslims I have spoken to who seem more 'radical' in their beliefs give much lip service to advancing their religion but upon closer inspection, these more radical Muslims seem to believe that by either converting the infidels or killing them that they will get amazing rewards, some of them sexual in nature, in the after-life. They will forgo earthly pleasures to have these amazing experiences when they die, things that are forbidden in this life. Conversely if we really get down deep into the psyche of the fundamentalist Christian (and I did, I attended a fundy church during college) some similiar ideas emerge: i.e., I'll make it to heaven, I'll build my heavenly mansion if I convert so-and-so, if I don't do this, don't do that. This seems fundamentally selfish to me, and indicates that the intent behind the behaviors is rarely pure - that is, unselfish, and truly in the other persons' best interest.

13. Lordpendragon

Gold Member

I think the proposition is that they would both be equally wrong in terms of exposing young unformed minds to this level of indoctrination / mind control via mass hysteria.

14. Gillette

Gold Member

Albums:

It is always wrong to teach religion combined with combat. Religion is supposed to be about loving your fellow man.

Seeing the boy in camoflage face paint in a fighting stance made my blood run cold.

And I'd like to know what the purpose of the girl breaking mugs with a hammer was. What was written on them?

15. Lordpendragon

Gold Member

"Break me with a hammer." :banghead2:

16. Gillette

Gold Member

Albums:
    Ha

17. Lordpendragon

Gold Member

Come on Razors - surely it was worth a HA Ha?

18. Gillette

Gold Member

Albums:
    Will you accept a Bwa Ha Ha?

19. Gillette

Gold Member

Albums:
    Amen.

20. Lordpendragon

Gold Member

Something else that disturbs me very deeply, is that they certainly know that there will be a fucked up fall out rate in later years and they don't care.

Draft saved Draft deleted