Funeral Threads

MidwestGal

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I've been to a funeral this morning (my aunt who I hadn't seen for some years) and I was quite glad to see that everyone was in dark colours - black, navy, brown, I prefer this tradition but find that many people now go to funerals in ordinary clothes - bright colours, flowered garments, even jeans.

Do you think it's a sign of respect to stick to dark, sober clothing or do you think the days of mourning clothes are long gone?

I think it completely depends on the person who died and their family. When in doubt stick with something classic such as dark colors.

At my dad's funeral most of his friends wore their Buckskin's and came in costume. My dad was buried in his Buckskin's.

I have a funeral to go to in the morning if I am up to it and I will be wearing black pants and a nice sweater.Though honestly, the neighbor that died wouldn't have cared, she liked everyone comfortable.

I am sorry for your loss.

ManlyBanisters

Sexy Member
Media
And if anyone sends one of those wreaths with a ribbon that says "Jesus Called" and has a telephone in it...I will come back and haunt you!

*furiously jots down reminder*

I have always wanted to be benevolently haunted - oh, but please don't do a poltergeist number on the crystal tumblers, they were my grandmother's.

Thanks to all the people who offered their sympathy, I hadn't seen my aunt for some years but when I was younger I was very close to her, so at the funeral it was the aunt of my younger years I recalled, not the one I hadn't seen or been close to for a while, and I think at funerals we also recall all the other people we've lost.

I agree, and it can go further than that - one of my grandfathers died when I was very young, too young to remember him. My grandmother didn't pass away til I was in my late twenties - since her death I have found my self not only missing her but somewhat inexplicably missing him. I suppose it would be more accurate to say that I am noticing his absence in my life.

I think, from the sound of it SP, your aunt would have been very happy that you were sitting there remembering the younger her. That is something I actually enjoy (if that word is not inappropriate) about funerals, certainly of older people - that you have a range of people from all stages of a person's life show up and remember a different 'version' of the deceased. The childhood friends / siblings remember the child, adult friends and collegues remember the 'away from home' adult, relatives of the same generation may have seen a different side, younger relatives remember a mischievous aunt or favourite uncle maybe - all the different ways the person was in the different relationships of their life meeting up. It's quite beautiful.

B_dumbcow

Experimental Member
Media
My friend died recently and was too far young. To her funeral, the dress code was bright colours only and to celabrate her life, which we all did. I really liked the idea of celebration of life over the mourning of a lost life.

On the other end of the spectrum, a great-aunt of mine died also last month. The funeral, like my great aunt, was very traditional and formal. Only close family attended, and we were all in black ties and all that jazz. We got into hired, long black cars and followed the coffin to the service.

the latter was much more depressing, the former was far less depressing, though admittedly more sad (due to her age)

I do wear dark clothes to funerals, if no dress code is specified, but I have made it very clear that I want my funeral to have everyone dressing in bright clothes, and a nice little jazzy number playing in the background when they take me away. Though, I'm not intending to die for at least another 50 years yet. Maybe by then, It'll be the norm to dress in bright colours at funerals.

D

deleted213967

When I die? I want a horse drawn hearse, pulled by two Clydesdales in full dressage. I want (To quote Juanita Moore in Imitation of Life) a brass band playing. High stepping, sending me home to glory. I want people at the gathering after to laugh, joke, remember the good and save the tears. Laughing me to glory is much better than whisking me away on a veil of tears.

Yep, but the lady saved up for that fanfare ending...Did you?

naughty

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I am a traditionalist when it comes to funerals. For my own, I want to have an early evening viewing followed by a funeral service. The next morning, I want to have a private graveside service for close family and friends only. At the funeral service, I don't want a lot of preaching. At that point, I can't be preached into heaven. The way I lived my life preached the sermon for me, so just some prayers and some Scripture readings that would provide some comfort to the mourners is all that's needed. Now as to music...well, it's gonna be a shoutin' good time. I want there to be lots and lots of music, all of it upbeat. I know that if I am to die at anytime in the near future, the whole music department from my church will turn out and when over 300 choir members get to praisin', it's going to be a Homegoing Celebration.

For my grandmother's funeral back in April, I took charge of everything being that I'm also a mortician. She wanted to be cremated after having a viewing and church service. Living in south Florida, she did not own a lot of black, nor would she want to be buried in all black. I dressed her in a very dressy print blouse that was red, black, gold, with a black skirt. She looked like she would be going to a nice dinner party. The service was supposed to be upbeat, but because of the god-awful musicians, it was way too somber for my tastes. A letter to the church's pastor and the Archbishop of Miami got some people jumping and we got all the honorariums paid to the church refunded and I got a personal apology letter from the Archbishop.

We are now looking at a funeral for my grandfather in the fairly near future. We're preparing ourselves early, because he's starting to decline very quickly and has some major surgery in the past few months that knocked him for a loop. When we have his funeral, I think I am going to dress him to go out in a sort of business casual type of outfit. Slacks, dress shirt and sport coat, no tie--he spends most of his time in shorts, why dress him in clothes that he felt are too stifling. I will have a conference with the Pastor of the church before his funeral and I will have one of my friends do the music, so we don't have to deal with the horrendous cacophony that my mother and I laughed through at my grandmother's funeral.

We requested no flowers for my grandmother because there was not going to be a burial. We purchased some stunning urn arrangements to go on pillars at the ends of the casket and a matching casket spray made of all her favorite tropical flowers, including Bird of Paradise, which was her overall favorite flower. We requested memorials to be sent to a charity because the money spent on flowers could go to something for perpetuity.
My grandmother always said that she wanted to enjoy the flowers while she lived, because she wouldn't see them at her funeral. I made it a point to always send her flowers throughout the year.

For my funeral, please send all the flowers you want, and on my casket, I want a floral explosion done in all white with tropical greens draping down over the cherrywood.

PS. And if anyone sends one of those wreaths with a ribbon that says "Jesus Called" and has a telephone in it...I will come back and haunt you!

Naughty makes a note to send the "Jesus Called Keshawn, but his cell was busy" wreath. As for the haunting, please do! LOL! :wink:

ManlyBanisters

Sexy Member
Media
Naughty makes a note to send the "Jesus Called Keshawn, but his cell was busy" wreath. As for the haunting, please do! LOL! :wink:

Nuh-uh, lady! I got first dibs on that! \/ \/

*furiously jots down reminder*

I have always wanted to be benevolently haunted - oh, but please don't do a poltergeist number on the crystal tumblers, they were my grandmother's.

Tell you what - you have him when he's alive... I think that'd suit y'all better :wink:

prepstudinsc

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
No Response

You can send me one of the wreaths that Rickey Smiley talks about in one of his prank calls--collard greens and Krispy Kreme donuts. :biggrin1:

naughty

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Nuh-uh, lady! I got first dibs on that! \/ \/

Is this the international sign for vampire? As for dibs you've got a nice meaty Scorpio in hand right now. One per customer! Besides I had dibs before you even came to the site! LOL!

Tell you what - you have him when he's alive... I think that'd suit y'all better :wink:

Well, if he's goin' where he says he's goin', we'll have double the fun! LOL!

naughty

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
You can send me one of the wreaths that Rickey Smiley talks about in one of his prank calls--collard greens and Krispy Kreme donuts. :biggrin1:

THe thought of that combination is positively foul. Can you imagine the type of gas that could generate? It might kill you a second time! :eek:

naughty

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
No. However i was able to play name that tune till the wee hours of the morning.:biggrin1:

Lends a whole new meaning to the song, "PLay that funky music white boy, Play that funky music right, Play that funky music white boy, lay down a boogie and play that funky music till you die...":biggrin1:

Don't even ask how I remember the words to that heinous song! LOL!

Mr. Snakey

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Lends a whole new meaning to the song, "PLay that funky music white boy, Play that funky music right, Play that funky music white boy, lay down a boogie and play that funky music till you die...":biggrin1:

Don't even ask how I remember the words to that heinous song! LOL!
Hey it had a good groove too it. Not a bad song at all