Squirrel1

Worshipped Member
Staff
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
I’ve found a few ads from the early to mid 1900’s that involve blacks in very stereotypical roles. I have been pondering for a week as to whether to post them or not. Although we would now find them extremely objectionable and unacceptable, they did exist and could show how backwards thinking and racist we were back them. What do you think?... if any one objects, I won’t post them.

Reactions: ActionBuddy

ActionBuddy

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I’ve found a few ads from the early to mid 1900’s that involve blacks in very stereotypical roles. I have been pondering for a week as to whether to post them or not. Although we would now find them extremely objectionable and unacceptable, they did exist and could show how backwards thinking and racist we were back them. What do you think?... if any one objects, I won’t post them.

Don't post them, please, @Squirrel1... We all know that they existed, and some still do. But, we don't need to perpetuate those old racial stereotypes, even if they are "only cartoons", by seeing them again. Even major corporations are trying to rid themselves of their history of racially stereotyped ads, like "Aunt Jemima" syrup, etc... Let it be a thing of the past. In these times, they are not "funny" at all. They are justly hurtful.

Whereas, on the flip-side, IMHO, the old ads, that are misogynistic or homophobic, seem very relevant today, as reminders of how far the general society has progressed from the dreadful past. I hope that doesn't sound hypocritical. I don't mean it to be so. We can laugh at how absolutely stupid advertisers were back then, but laughing about racism is unjustified.

Plus, it could get you banned from this site. Lets keep the Funny/sexy Old Ads, thread being about "funny/sexy". please.

I very much appreciate the fact that you asked us about this!

A/B

Last edited:
Reactions: Squirrel1

Squirrel1

Worshipped Member
Staff
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
Don't post them, please, @Squirrel1... We all know that they existed, and some still do. But, we don't need to perpetuate those old racial stereotypes, even if they are "only cartoons", by seeing them again. Even major corporations are trying to rid themselves of their history of racially stereotyped ads, like "Aunt Jemima" syrup, etc... Let it be a thing of the past. In these times, they are not "funny" at all. They are justly hurtful.

Whereas, on the flip-side, IMHO, the old ads, that are misogynistic or homophobic, seem very relevant today, as reminders of how far the general society has progressed from the dreadful past. I hope that doesn't sound hypocritical. I don't mean it to be so. We can laugh at how absolutely stupid advertisers were back then, but laughing about racism is unjustified.

Plus, it could get you banned from this site. Lets keep the Funny/sexy Old Ads, thread being about "funny/sexy". please.

I very much appreciate the fact that you asked us about this!

A/B
Thank you A/B. I’m glad I asked.

Reactions: ActionBuddy