Further Attempts at Transparency

Lex

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Lightning said:
Also, Pecker-man, you'd do well to just stop banning my new accounts. I'm going to keep making new ones until I don't feel like letting you know it's me. Then I'll resume posting whatever the fuck I feel like, but incognito.

pjn3d1
Sigh. Creating a new email address for each new account you create is a lot of effort to intentionally be assinine and juvenile.

I wish you had used that energy in a postivie way rather than piss away your membership here the way you did. Watching you be banned (both times) was the saddest thing I have ever had to do here as moderator.

We've seen this part of this story before--It was called DMW--so we know how it will end. Loved by many, yet no longer here.

See you on MySpace, Chase. DMW is there as well. Look him up!

Lordpendragon

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Lex said:
We rarely go back and delete entire post histories as it make threads very difficult to read. The owner does not support this action, FWIW.

ApopLEXy - sorry.

No, I mean just the single post that is out of order, though I admit that it would be tiresome.

ClaireTalon

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Lex said:
Sigh. Creating a new email address for each new account you create is a lot of effort to intentionally be assinine and juvenile.

I wish you had used that energy in a postivie way rather than piss away your membership here the way you did. Watching you be banned (both times) was the saddest thing I have ever had to do here as moderator.

We've seen this part of this story before--It was called DMW--so we know how it will end. Loved by many, yet no longer here.

See you on MySpace, Chase. DMW is there as well. Look him up!

I guess I have to make you a public compliment, Lex. The way you handle this matter is great, I couldn't do it better, and I have command experience. So thumbs up for you, man!

As much as many here love Spladle/Chase/Lightning, I get an image of an immature guy. I may be wrong, I have had only few run-ins with him, and never a really bad one, but I think if someone deals out his sarcasm as easily as him, he has to be able to handle being tapped on his fingers for this. Sarcasm per se is a good feature, I love it, but what I've seen from him is not the sarcasm that's funny, or that invites to be countered.

In soccer sports, there's a rule that players complaining about the referee's decision get the red card and are sent off the place. Taking this as example, banning spladle was only consequent after he has made the whole drama public, and chosen the dramatic way out, too.

DaveyR

Retired Moderator
Media
Sexuality
No Response
ClaireTalon said:
I guess I have to make you a public compliment, Lex. The way you handle this matter is great, I couldn't do it better, and I have command experience. So thumbs up for you, man!

As much as many here love Spladle/Chase/Lightning, I get an image of an immature guy. I may be wrong, I have had only few run-ins with him, and never a really bad one, but I think if someone deals out his sarcasm as easily as him, he has to be able to handle being tapped on his fingers for this. Sarcasm per se is a good feature, I love it, but what I've seen from him is not the sarcasm that's funny, or that invites to be countered.

In soccer sports, there's a rule that players complaining about the referee's decision get the red card and are sent off the place. Taking this as example, banning spladle was only consequent after he has made the whole drama public, and chosen the dramatic way out, too.

I agree Claire - Taking the Rap for something and moving on gracefully comes with age and maturity more often than not. The younger and less mature react to a slapped wrist by rebelling - whether or not it is justified. I think we all witnessed that latter here.

I just want to qualify what I have said in that I have had little or no interraction with Chase. Had I been on the receiving end of his wit or been one of his close pals on here then I would probably view this quite differently. We are seeing these differing reactions in this thread. Lets keep that in perspective.

B_Stronzo

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Until last night's escapades with his re-invention I'd have vouched for him until the end of time.

What he did by creating new identities took his credibility away.

Again, I've never had any real interaction with him. But I thought him bright and clever and an addition to the board in his way. And I think his banning needed to be worked through. I still believe that.

At least we've all had an opportunity to see how the thing has played out and this thread has served to help everyone see where the other stood in things in a more general sense to boot.

It can't be a "bad thing".

B_dxjnorto

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
Something no one has hit on yet in this thread is the difficulty of interpreting language when it is highly vernacular and no body language is available. Ordinarily people totally rely on body language in such situations.

Emoticons help some--that's probably why we have so many. If you care to browse all available--somewhere near 450 according to my unofficial count.

rob_just_rob

Sexy Member
Media
dxjnorto said:
Something no one has hit on yet in this thread is the difficulty of interpreting language when it is highly vernacular and no body language is available. Ordinarily people totally rely on body language in such situations.

I think I touched on it in the other thread - the one LightningStrike/Spladle started when he posted his initial warning.

I don't think it can be stressed often enough that inflection, tone, body language, emphasis... all these things are absent from text-based conversations. Smilies do help. But misunderstandings are almost inevitable, particularly when tempers are already running high.

ClaireTalon

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
dxjnorto said:

Emoticons help some--that's probably why we have so many. If you care to browse all available--somewhere near 450 according to my unofficial count.

Maybe this sounds stupid, but when I read a post on here, or an e-mail, I always have the impression that the writer is actually reading it to me, and I can hear his tone and his emotions out between the lines. This has mislead me in more than one case, often I've taken things as sarcasm when they were meant well originally, but mostly I've judged the writer's emotions correctly. However, with many of Spladle's posts, this has given me the impression of him doing a "Wild Weasel" attack: Swoop in, drop your shit, and head out again.

hung_me

1st Like
Media
What should be done?

Scrap the moderating team. This place was doing fine before Rob_E enlisted the help of several long-time members, and it would be fine still today, without them. At least before there wasn't anybody getting the brunt end of the stick because titles weren't attached.

As soon as there are labels, there is discrimination and elitism. Seriously, the moderating thing was a bad idea.

dolf250

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
During Stronzos' temporary ban I remember wishing that there would be a list of bannings and reasons and links to the offending posts. Though i do not really know how to feel about baning a member who had contributed so much at least I there is no doubt as to the reasons. I cannot see that there was much choice- but it still saddens me to lose any of our long time members, despite the drive by shirtings. Part of me thinks that we are capable of defending ourselves. Should somebody attack me personally I have no trouble saying “shut up bitch” without needing a mod to get involved. At the same time I would hate to see the board degenerate into threads attacking one another and always feeling the need to defend oneself. I guess I have mixed feelings because I hate to see someone banned and yet, at least in this case, I know he did it to himself.

B_NineInchCock_160IQ

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Lex said:
So, where does this leave us? Free speech for those we admire and like, restricted speech for everyone else? ChimeraTX, anyone?!?

Hey whatever happened to that guy? Arguing with him in one thread was the last thing I ever did before leaving these boards the first time. Distaste at the idea of having to deal with him was part of what factored in to me coming here less. Did he get banned? I know and could tell from even his early posts that he was a deeply bigoted ignorant racist masquerading as a sensible and reasonable intellectual... did this facade finally break down and then he got himself banned?

edit: nevermind, did a search, answered my own question.

jeff black

Expert Member
Media
hung_me said:
What should be done?

Scrap the moderating team. This place was doing fine before Rob_E enlisted the help of several long-time members, and it would be fine still today, without them. At least before there wasn't anybody getting the brunt end of the stick because titles weren't attached.

As soon as there are labels, there is discrimination and elitism. Seriously, the moderating thing was a bad idea.

The only problem with your idea, Hung_me is that the mods offer a bit of control for the site. Should we get spammers or trolls, they have usually banned them within 24 hours or so. To eliminate them entirely, would probably add some more chaos to the board.

Rob_E probably doesn't have the time to come in every day for 6 hours a day and go through all the threads. I am not sure the best way to handle things, but I know that attempting to govern the site may be alot harder than it sounds.

D_Sheffield Thongbynder

Experimental Member
Media
jeff black said:
The only problem with your idea, Hung_me is that the mods offer a bit of control for the site. Should we get spammers or trolls, they have usually banned them within 24 hours or so. To eliminate them entirely, would probably add some more chaos to the board.

Rob_E probably doesn't have the time to come in every day for 6 hours a day and go through all the threads. I am not sure the best way to handle things, but I know that attempting to govern the site may be alot harder than it sounds.

I agree with you, Jeff. The site does need some monitoring. How much is the question that seems to get people up in arms. Out of curiosity, would you have banned either Stronzo or Spladle?

MASSIVEPKGO_CHUCK

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Aside from Mr Spladle's departure, let's not try & forget one simple and if not tacit thing; Without some sort of watching over, the trolls, flamers, etc. would all run rampant with complete and utter carte blanche.

This isn't really a fascist ideal either, there folks. It's simply an online version of the safety patrol. And lets face it, we can only do so much to stop the flamers and trolls before we tire of their antics.

jeff black

Expert Member
Media
COLJohn said:
I agree with you, Jeff. The site does need some monitoring. How much is the question that seems to get people up in arms. Out of curiosity, would you have banned either Stronzo or Spladle?

I am beginning to realize something about the site.

We can either have it laid back, with everyone allowed to voice their opinion (that includes trolls, racists and spammers etc) OR We decide that everyone be treated equally and a comment that can be taken offensively is served as a warning.

The people in charge felt that Spladle's comments were too numerous and too vulgar. He was banned.

Stronzo has crossed the line a few times in the eyes of some people, and he was temporarily banned.

It is easy for me to sit here and preach and judge as I don't have to live with the concequences. Had I been a moderator, I may have done it differently, but the chances are, I wouldn't.

I loved Spladle. His comments made me laugh and his brutal attacks on those who "deserved" it, were always swift and (mostly) justified. We can't have it both ways... it is just a matter of everyone geting off the fence and picking their side.

We either have Free speech for all, or No free speech but a place that is free of trolls.

Take your pick.

BTW, I am only calm like this for the time being. Should they decide to ban other members for similar premises with no reason other than disgust that those members have stood up for what they believed in., I may not feel so kindly towards the system.

EDIT: Chuck backs up my opinion well.