Expert Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Was just wondering, considering the fact that stuff generally becomes more acceptable over the course of history and we've become more comfortable with ourselves and our bodies (generally fuckin' speaking of course), what's going to be considered taboo in like, 100 years time?

I mean, a woman showing off her ankles used to be the historical equivalent to a waitress at Hooters' - and swearing has completely changed over the years. Where words like "damn" and "crap" became relatively tame, words like "cunt" and "fuck" stepped in to take their place.

So what's going to be taboo (or offensive, if that's your interpretation) in the future? Will there be anything left? Will we completely abandon the notion of things being taboo?

I've been smoking weed most of this morning, you see.

molotovmuffin

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Seriously...in a 100 years...sex is gonna be taboo....and so will conception.... it'll all be virtual...and test tubes...

flame boy

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I believe the word "Blargflap" will be the ultimate in offensive words.

Pink Sock will become an olympic sport and "fetish sex" will involve robots and rolling pins.

D_Ezdras Dingledonger

Experimental Member
Media
I'm not very good at envisioning the future. I usually settle on some sort of version of the Jetsons. In keeping with that theme, I suspect future taboo will include the molestation/fondling of your personal robot maid. Beyond that, I'm stumped.

Jason

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Taboos can be broken down, as many sexual taboos. But new ones can also be created. Our society is creating new taboos around death. When a relative is dying it is no longer necessarily the case that all relatives including children will for a while sit around the death bed. Often death is a process which takes place in hospital without loved ones present and the last breath is unwitnessed.

A century ago very, very few people got to be of age (21) without witnessing death. Now I think it is pretty much the opposite. Indeed many people live their whole life without seeing death.

molotovmuffin

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I'm not very good at envisioning the future. I usually settle on some sort of version of the Jetsons. In keeping with that theme, I suspect future taboo will include the molestation/fondling of your personal robot maid. Beyond that, I'm stumped.
Don't worry...your near future has me in it:wink:

Riven650

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Taboos can be broken down, as many sexual taboos. But new ones can also be created. Our society is creating new taboos around death. When a relative is dying it is no longer necessarily the case that all relatives including children will for a while sit around the death bed. Often death is a process which takes place in hospital without loved ones present and the last breath is unwitnessed.

A century ago very, very few people got to be of age (21) without witnessing death. Now I think it is pretty much the opposite. Indeed many people live their whole life without seeing death.

Very good point Jason. And it seems to me that we're instead watching more and more glamourised death on tv; ie. csi type tv shows. Seems a little weird to me.

Bbucko

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Taboos and stigmas are fear-based. As long as people fear things, there'll be a taboo to institutionalize it for public consumption.

b.c.

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Was just wondering, considering the fact that stuff generally becomes more acceptable over the course of history and we've become more comfortable with ourselves and our bodies (generally fuckin' speaking of course), what's going to be considered taboo in like, 100 years time?

I mean, a woman showing off her ankles used to be the historical equivalent to a waitress at Hooters' - and swearing has completely changed over the years. Where words like "damn" and "crap" became relatively tame, words like "cunt" and "fuck" stepped in to take their place.

So what's going to be taboo (or offensive, if that's your interpretation) in the future? Will there be anything left? Will we completely abandon the notion of things being taboo?

I've been smoking weed most of this morning, you see.

Where'd you get the idea that stuff is generally becoming more acceptable and we're becoming more comfortable with our bodies??

Pendlum

Cherished Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
Taboos and stigmas are fear-based. As long as people fear things, there'll be a taboo to institutionalize it for public consumption.

Well said.

If I had to guess, I think two easy ones would be androids designed for sex, and virtual sex, you know VR helmets and what not. And if you want to go Star Trek, holo deck sex, assuming you aren't just plowing a crew mate on the virtual desk of someone you hate or something.

D

deleted3782

I think we often make our Victorian ancestors out to be more prudish than they really were. They did the same stuff then that we still do now, but they were closed-minded and judgmental about it. I live in a small southern US city, and I know some of the "taboo" things that were common 100 years ago here...white men having secret relationships with black women...sometimes resulting in bastard children, homosexuality, secretive hermaphrodites, lots of affairs...all things we hardly bat an eye at today. I know from newspaper accounts and historical records that bad things happened too...including pedophilia, incest, rape...things that we still consider in negatively. What has changed is that western society has begun to differentiate between acts that are consensual versus those that are not. That's where a new line is being drawn.

I doubt that this line will move much in the next 100 years, but I think the proportion of western society that transitions across this line to accept consensual sex will increase over time.

That being said, another measure of the twentieth century has been an elevated awareness of the diversity of sexuality. Where the idea of drag or swinging were taboo 50 years ago...they are found in Anytown USA now. But, they have been replaced with sexual practices such as dogging, cuckolding, and bondage that remain unknown and taboo to a large percentage of the population (not members of this site, of course).

That all said, I think we can expect to see more of the same trends...increased acceptance of consensual sexual practices, and greater awareness of specialized sexual acts.