GA Bar Owner Sells Shirts Depicting Obama as Chimp

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
For those still too ignorant to comprehend why some white people hate Barack Obama perhaps this story will enlighten you.

Group protests at Cobb bar, calling Obama T-shirts racist. Mulligan's selling shirts with 'Curious George' picture

By CHRISTIAN BOONE
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Published on: 05/13/08

Marietta tavern owner Mike Norman says the T-shirts he's peddling, featuring cartoon chimp Curious George peeling a banana, with "Obama in '08" scrolled underneath, are "cute." But to a coalition of critics, the shirts are an insulting exploitation of racial stereotypes from generations past.

"It's time to put an end to this," said Rich Pellegrino, a Mableton resident and director of the Cobb-Cherokee Immigrant Alliance. He was among about 15 people who protested outside Mulligan's Bar and Grill Tuesday afternoon against the sale of the "racist and highly offensive" shirts.

"There's no place for these views, not in this day and age," he said.
Word of the controversy drew native Mariettan Pam Lindley, 47, to show up in support of the protesters.

"I don't want people to think this is what Marietta is all about," she added, pointing at tavern.

Two protesters, who stationed themselves near the tavern entrance, approached Norman and asked him to stop the T-shirt sales. He told them he won't and asked them to leave his property, though the confrontation did not escalate.

Just down the street from Marietta's famous Big Chicken, Mulligan's has carved a provocative niche in an increasingly multicultural area, thanks to its owner's ultra-conservative political views. If you live in Marietta, it's impossible not to know what's on Norman's mind, as he posts his views on signs in front of Mulligan's.

Among his recent musings: "I wish Hillary had married OJ," "No habla espanol -- and never will" and the standard "I.N.S. Agents eat free." "I'm saying out loud what everyone in this town whispers," Norman said in an interview before Tuesday's protest.

Whatever residents think of the signs, organized opposition to his blunt commentaries -- ongoing for 16 years -- had been nonexistent. No longer, says Pellegrino, who, though familiar with Norman's politics, said he was still surprised by the stark imagery of the Obama T-shirts.

"There's a lot of people hurt by this," he said.

Norman said those offended are "hunting for a reason to be mad" and insisted he is "not a racist."

Norman said he sees nothing wrong with depicting Obama as Curious George. "Look at him . . . the hairline, the ears, he looks just like Curious George," Norman said. He said he did not design the shirts himself but bought them through a Web site.

He said he views it as just coincidence that the character on the T-shirt is a monkey. Norman also said proceeds raised from sales will be donated to the Muscular Dystrophy Association.

The Southern Christian Leadership Conference, the Nation of Islam and the Georgia Association of Latino Elected Officials were among the organizations represented at Tuesday's rally.

"Mulligan's is promoting and selling racially offensive T-shirts, and Marietta and Cobb County residents and taxpayers abhor and cannot condone, any longer, this type of divisive and incendiary behavior in our community," said Jerry Gonzalez, executive director of GALEO.

The Muscular Dystrophy Association has come out against Mike Norman and says that they will be refusing all donations from him and his establishment. :cool:

People like Mr. Norman rarely have an original thought. :mad: I'm sure he got the idea for the t-shirts by listening to Rush Limbaugh in March of this year.

Racist incidents give some Obama campaigners pause

bek2335

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
njqt466:
The biggest outrage to me in this story is not that Mr. Norman is such an abomination as a human being, it's that he has the face to say he's NOT A RACIST!!! I reminds me of a book I read a long time ago called The Loss of Innocence by Sheldon Kopp. In it, he talks about how emotional dishonesty is really what evil is.
I guess I'm just getting old, but I feel so disheartened lately about the state of affairs in the world. Perhaps the Reign of Bush has just worn me down, but I feel hopeless much more often than I would like. I want Mr. Obama to win the election so badly, and yet I fear what some evil creature might do to him.

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Hmmm. Is it racist also, that George W. Bush has also been depicted as a chimp, and called "Chimpie"?

I've seen both, lotsa times.

I can't wait for Vivendi Universal to get hold of this for copyright infringement.

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response

sexplease

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I was listening to Tom Lykus today and the did an hour on this Obama Monkey Tshirt.
There's pages of stuff insulting our closest relatives.
here's one and a quote from it.

I was born year of the monkey. Lucky for me

Google Image Result for http://www.flyingsquirrelbaby.com/images/home/rotate/frontpromo_lrg_curious.jpg

"
Here's more ammo... (none / 0)

Bill Clinton: A young W.C. Fields (Nose what I mean?)

George H.W. Bush: "Read my lips!" "WHAT lips??"

JFK: Howdy Doody on steroids

LBJ: "You Ain't Nothin' But A Hound Dog!"

Hubert Humphrey: His head once appeared as a baloon in the Macy's parade

Bill Frist: A gay Mr. Rogers

Tom DeLay: The only reason Groom & Clean is still in business

Mitt Romney: Give him a pipe and he's a ringer for Norm Appleton (for all you Old School National Lampoon readers...)

Nixon: ...too easy... "

bek2335

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
DC Deep,
Perhaps if you were a member of a group of people who have been oppressed for over 300 years, you wouldn't see reactions to such things as "knee jerk". I suspect you are a white man. I am a white woman, and just like I don't think men have any business telling me what it's like to live as a woman, and to define my experiences for me as either acceptable or unacceptable, I don't think white people have any business telling African-Americans what it's like to live as a black person.
That's like telling someone with appendicitis that he or she is not really in pain because you've never had appendicitis and don't know what it feels like.

D_Aston Asstonne

Account Disabled
Media
A white man can just as easily resemble a chimp.

George W. Bush or Chimpanzee?

I think I know where Mr.Norman got the idea but looking at his other musings I would say his t-shirts are racially motivated. Not cool.
I truly believe Mr norman just has one helluva sense of humor,trust me...marietta ga is bout a stones throw away from hotlanta and a mixing pot for all races,being racist would be social suicide.sense of humor folks.:biggrin1:

HyperHulk

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
For those still too ignorant to comprehend why some white people hate Barack Obama perhaps this story will enlighten you.

Interesting. I read through the entire story and couldn't see anywhere an explanation of "why some white people hate Barack Obama." What I read seemed to be a manifestation of that hatred but not an explanation for it. To comprehend why some people hate Obama would suggest that concrete reasons by these people are offered. They are not offered here.

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
DC Deep,
Perhaps if you were a member of a group of people who have been oppressed for over 300 years, you wouldn't see reactions to such things as "knee jerk". I suspect you are a white man. I am a white woman, and just like I don't think men have any business telling me what it's like to live as a woman, and to define my experiences for me as either acceptable or unacceptable, I don't think white people have any business telling African-Americans what it's like to live as a black person.
That's like telling someone with appendicitis that he or she is not really in pain because you've never had appendicitis and don't know what it feels like.
Are you an idiot, or is that just your knee-jerk reaction to my post?

You suspect I am a white male. Do you know that for certain? Do you know for certain whether or not I am a member of a group of people who have been oppressed for over 300 years?

I'm not terribly concerned what you think, but please point out to me where I told ANY AfAms what it's like to live as a black person.

Do us all a favor, and drop the vicarious self-righteous-indignation crap. If you choose to be offended, that's your prerogative. Just don't be offended on behalf of others.

(Oh, and by the way, I have had appendicitis.)

(Oh, and by the way, if you use the phrase, "African-Americans," then your use of "white people" is offensive - use the phrase "European-Americans" instead.)

dong20

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
It seems to me that only the person creating and selling the shirts knows their motivation, and that motivation only applies to them. For us it's interpretation, and I can't help but wonder that an automatic assumption of racial motivation (by some) says something about those making that assumption as it does of those creating the image. After all, some may consider comparing Bush to a chimp is offensive to chimps.

Essentially, the way I see it, people can choose to be offended by the shirts or not, it's their choice. That choice doesn't necessarily make them right, or wrong - merely offended, or not. Interestingly (or not), I see nowhere in the linked article (it took a Google) relating to Mr Norman being white - was this merely assumed by the OP, or was it determined?

IMO, whatever the motivation, I think it's in poor taste and probably elicited the exact response desired - media coverage for his bar. After all, the race card is double sided, even when it's not. In the absence of proof, assuming prejudice is a form of prejudice. Until Mr Norman stands up and says it was intended as a racial slur, then assumption is all it is.

(Oh, and by the way, if you use the phrase, "African-Americans," then your use of "white people" is offensive - use the phrase "European-Americans" instead.)

Of course, strictly speaking (i.e. not using the terms as euphemisms) not all 'African Americans' are black (or from Africa) just as not all 'European-Americans' are white. Also, you forgot Antipodeans (they're mostly white too).:tongue:

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
<...>
and I can't help but wonder that an automatic assumption of racial motivation (by some) says something about those making that assumption as it does of those creating the image. After all, some may consider comparing Bush to a chimp is offensive to chimps.
That's precisely the point I was trying to make, dong. Thanks.
Of course, strictly speaking (i.e. not using the terms as euphemisms) not all 'African Americans' are black (or from Africa) just as not all 'European-Americans' are white. Also, you forgot Antipodeans (they're mostly white too).:tongue:
Also close to the point I was making. I was just pointing out that nauseatingly PC people often miss their own mark. Feeling compelled to refer to one racial group as a continent-hyphenated-American, but not another racial group, is laughable.

B_jacknapier

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
I have to correct my mom sometimes when she talks about people of color. She always says "african-american" even if they're Jamaican, simply African, etc.

Kind of funny.

Flashy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
well, yes, most of his statements and shirts etc. seem to have a racial/ethnic slant...

but this is America...it is his right to be a bigoted ass if he wants to be.

Doesn't make it right, it is in fact pretty distasteful, but he has a aright to say what he wants.

I also support those who are exercising their rights to protest against him.

I just find it ironic that the Nation Of Islam is there protesting "prejudice". After all, they seem to hold quite a bit of it towards my type of folks (jewish) not to mention against whites and homosexuals of any race.