GA Bar Owner Sells Shirts Depicting Obama as Chimp

D

deleted15807

Obama is 50% white.....and 50% black. And that equals...black. I've always found that interesting. Is there something more powerful in that 50% black that simply overwhelms the 50% white?

_avg_

Sexy Member
Media
Interesting. I read through the entire story and couldn't see anywhere an explanation of "why some white people hate Barack Obama." What I read seemed to be a manifestation of that hatred but not an explanation for it. To comprehend why some people hate Obama would suggest that concrete reasons by these people are offered. They are not offered here.
THANK YOU.

The bolded portion of your OP, njqt, does not really shed any light, I feel, if it were intended to. Saying he resembles Curious George is not inherently racially charged.

HyperHulk

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Obama is 50% white.....and 50% black. And that equals...black. I've always found that interesting. Is there something more powerful in that 50% black that simply overwhelms the 50% white?

Have you ever heard of an Octoroon? That is the term for someone who is 1/8 of African descent and used to be, in some places, the legal definition for a Black person. If you were 1/8, you were Black. Makes not sense but it conforms with people who are racially motivated against people of African descent. To answer your question then, it may be the cultural racism in the 50% black that seems to overwhelm the 50% white.

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
A white man can just as easily resemble a chimp.
George W. Bush or Chimpanzee? I think I know where Mr.Norman got the idea but looking at his other musings I would say his t-shirts are racially motivated. Not cool.
That's all I'm saying. :cool:

Well, I agree, but I think the reaction is also a bit knee-jerk...
In other news, if George & Obama both look like chimps, does that mean George & Obama look alike???:eek:
This was the wrong thread upon which to play devil's advocate. At least I hope that's what you were doing. If not it makes you sound like just another ignorant, white, southern male. :frown: As I have previously known you to be a well-educated, cultured, and intelligent man; I am extremely shocked and disappointed that you wouldn't see the racist intent of Mr. Norman's act.

The fact that the charity he chose to send proceeds from the sale of these shirts to, has rejected the funds should make his thinking clear.

Perhaps if you were a member of a group of people who have been oppressed for over 300 years, you wouldn't see reactions to such things as "knee jerk". *snip*
I don't think white people have any business telling African-Americans what it's like to live as a black person.
I agree, 100%, but it's easy to be judgemental, when you are on the outside looking in.

Why does everybody jump on the racist bandwagon, maybe he's referred to him as a monkey because he thinks he's stupid. I mean for goodness sake i'm sick of people jumping 10ft in the air the moment race is even mentioned.
Will you please get over the whole slavery thing?
Excuse you. You ignorant, English, fucktard child! :angryfire2: You don't know a G-D thing about the suffering of my people then or now!! I will thank you to read a book on the subject or shut up before posting such stupid tripe in the future.
I feel very guilty as England was a major part of it but at the end of the day.
Yeah right. :rolleyes: You feel bad, but it doesn't affect you, so you don't care. I get it. I have had similar thoughts on different topics myself. The difference is as an adult, I have the good sense to keep such thoughts to myself.

The black people who live in America today certainly have a much better life than those who live in AIDS/war infested countries where governments opress as in send the troops in to shock them into acting their way.
:12: You are comparing apples and oranges. In order to have some relevance try comparing the Black American slaves to the refugees in Darfur and elsewhere across that contient. The similarities are frightening I assure you.

the reason this is considered racist is because blacks have always been linked to monkeys. "monkey monkey wheres your tail" is heard by blacks quite often. it is not meant to be cute or funny, this tshirt was meant to strike a racist chord.
Thank you! Thank God somebody understands.:cool:

mista geechee

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
As I asked before, does it call up the same sense when an Other-Than-African-American-Or-Other-Nationality person is compared to a chimp? As in my previous reference to George W. "Chimpie" Bush? Bush is about as white-bread American as you can get, and I am only one of hundreds of thousands who thinks he is actually kind of chimp-like... in both appearance and aptitude. Is that as offensive as the Obama comparison?

it has nothing to do with bush being compared to a chimp. it has everything to do with blacks being referred to as porch monkey , yard ape , jungle bunny or any other form of early jungle dwelling primate. that's why the chimp thing is found to be offensive. especially since it happened in georgia.

if a hispanic person was called a monkey (or chimp) they wouldnt care , but when you start making jokes about them and high-tide and/or oranges, then it becomes offensive because its related to negative stereotypes of their community.

D_Aston Asstonne

Account Disabled
Media
well, yes, most of his statements and shirts etc. seem to have a racial/ethnic slant...

but this is America...it is his right to be a bigoted ass if he wants to be.

Doesn't make it right, it is in fact pretty distasteful, but he has a aright to say what he wants.

I also support those who are exercising their rights to protest against him.

I just find it ironic that the Nation Of Islam is there protesting "prejudice". After all, they seem to hold quite a bit of it towards my type of folks (jewish) not to mention against whites and homosexuals of any race.
Very well put.But then again..this is america,sadly the land of the double standard.

mista geechee

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
yea thats true. this is america we're talking about. not like its some moral country. hell it was built on hypocritical pilgrims who bit the hand that fed them when they killed the indians. then had the nerve to impose their own laws on teh indians lands and tell the indians where they can live and what customs are suitable. shit, you think 9/11 happened because of bin laden and the middle east? nah, that was karma for slavery and the hostile takeover of america. sorry if i dont sound to patriotic but i dont really have to much respect for the "american dream/way" and the american flag. and i am certainly gonna get killed for this one. but oh well here goes. USA deserved 9/11. deserved every bit of it. you cant do shit like what the pilgrims and 16th century euro's did and expect to get awat with it. USA deserved the first wtc attack in 94. deserved the oklahoma city bombong. columbine. all that shit. hell, USA should be thankful that no one decided to give this country a taste of its own medicine and come take this bitch over again and spread smallpox and measles and all that shit. the more i realize what this country is about and how is was REALLY built, i cant salute the stars and stripes. and i feel especially deeply for the families of the soldiers that had to lose their loved one's because of the sins of their fore-fathers and current leaders. nearly 4100 as of today. a dam shame.

this country is pretty much based on racism.

but i dont see the big deal about white boy or black person or none of that shit. i label myself black so i dont care if anyone else does. its when i start hearing blue gums and shit about mississippi wind chimes that gets me pissed. and i dont understand why some white people get offended when someone says white boy. its not like white people are opressed in this country or have it so bad.

TinyPrincess

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay

He could have been 80% white and 20% black and he would still have been black.

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
This was the wrong thread upon which to play devil's advocate. At least I hope that's what you were doing. If not it makes you sound like just another ignorant, white, southern male. :frown:
Gee, thanks. You are so thoroughly enjoying playing the victim here, you completely missed what I was saying. You read my words, but have no clue what they meant.

Ms.Teacher

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Personally, I think depicting George Bush as a chimp is an insult to chimps who are a highly intelligent species.

I disagree. A comment like that makes it even more acceptable for that man to be selling Obama chimp t-shirts. You want it both ways. How about a t-shirt with a pic of Anne Frank and the caption "God Bless Hitler"?

PiercedAndFit

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
It seems strange to read all this...have any of you read about the things our forebears said and did during political campaigns of the past? Those guys went beyond 'mean' speech.

Let's face it, the government can destroy any of us with the stroke of a pen these days ... I recall one of the first George Bush's tax increases whiping out the domestic boat industry and ruining luxury car markets for a couple of years. With that kind of power the wonder should not be about men resorting to these double standards so 'their' candidate wins but asking why more vicious, cruel, and mean-spirited debates are not occurring.

HyperHulk

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
I disagree. A comment like that makes it even more acceptable for that man to be selling Obama chimp t-shirts. You want it both ways. How about a t-shirt with a pic of Anne Frank and the caption "God Bless Hitler"?

None of what you wrote makes sense. I never said they should sell shirts with George Bush as a chimp. I like and respect chimps. George Bush is an idiot and will go down in history as our worst president. Ever. The damage he has done is incalculable. I am well within my rights for believing that. I also never said anything about the guy selling the Obama shirts. Yes they are clearly racist. So what? It's his right to sell them. I don't have a problem with it because I prefer my racists to be out in the open. Then I can decide to not eat at their restaurants or shop in their stores or whatever. I can make decisions. So please do not presume to tell me what I want.

As for the Anne Frank comment, awful. I have no idea where you're going with that so there's really no need for me to comment. That doesn't represent my views and is not analogous to anything I've written. If you want to sell a tshirt with Anne Frank and the caption, god bless hitler, then by all means, do so. You will just have to deal with the consequences of what emanates from that.

B_jacknapier

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
Gee, thanks. You are so thoroughly enjoying playing the victim here, you completely missed what I was saying. You read my words, but have no clue what they meant.

That's her style, through and through. She accuses others of ignorance, when in fact the pot is calling the kettle black.

amadeupname

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I think the t-shirt was intended to be a racial comment--given cultural history I doubt there is any other realistic way of looking at it. Even if there was a political motivation the politics is eclipsed by the race issue.

Having said that though, protesting just gives the guy what he wants, publicity.

Shouting down and shaming does not work if it just results in someone going underground with their perspective, but not changing. People who think the shirt is funny will continue to think that, they just may not say anything about it if there is enough outrage.

While I acknowledge the usefulness of maintaining a certain standard of public behavior, the violation of which is met with ostracism, as a means of preventing the rise of socially acceptable racism, unless this bar owner is merely a small part of a wider trend, then to give him publicity instead of ignoring him, amplifies his point of view and inspires others who fancy themselves freedom fighters against political correctness.

In short, I believe that people like this should be merely ignored as much as possible since their isolated farts will soon dissipate into the cultural wind without any real effect.

B_jacknapier

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
In short, I believe that people like this should be merely ignored as much as possible since their isolated farts will soon dissipate into the cultural wind without any real effect.

The problem is, even if they are ignored by those outside of the racist set, there is still tons of support from other people who find racist humor amusing. I don't think this guy is doing it to make people angry- I think he wanted to amuse the racist patrons of his bar.