GAH! Vista boot-up issues. Anyone available to help?

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by IntoxicatingToxin, Jun 15, 2009.

1. IntoxicatingToxin

Gold Member

I just sent this email to a friend, I'm trying to get as much advice as fast as possible because I really need my laptop for tonight. lol. If you can help, that would be fabulous!

2. Mr. Snakey

Gold Member

Do it again and start windows normally. That's it. Upon futher read of the information you provided something else is going on there. Be very careful installing or uninstalling memory. Make sure you are grounded. If not it can damage the computer. Memory has to be installed in a stacked way. The least amount going first. If not your computer (may make noise) and not even start. So check the memory is installed as i said and try starting windows normally.

#2 Mr. Snakey, Jun 15, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2009
  3. HellsKitchenmanNYC

Gold Member

Albums:
    This sort of happened to me a few months ago. I started a thread. Lots of responses but nothing did the trick. Then I noticed at the bottom right of the dcreen was a small prompt asking me to upload an update. I went nuts for 2 days and when I uploaded the update my Vista laptop worked again. I soooooo miss XP.

4. duplo

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    If The Normal start does not Work Hit the F8 key ( allot ) until another menu shows up, with allot more choices. Pick "LAST KNOWN GOOD CONFIGURATION" and then You laptop should boot up normaly :smile:

Best of Luck

5. IntoxicatingToxin

Gold Member

I can't download any updates because I can't get to my desktop. The computer doesn't get that far.

I tried that about 8 times with both sets of RAM in, never worked.

6. IntoxicatingToxin

Gold Member

Just an update. I got bored with the same thing happening over and over and over when I tried to fix my laptop, so I said fuck it and installed XP. Guess what? Does the same fucking thing. So now I have XP on my laptop instead of Vista, but I can't get Windows to load now. Giving me the same shit. So I'm guessing now that it's a hardware issue! Now I just have to figure out what.

7. AllHazzardi

AllHazzardi Member

Albums:
    What you might be experiencing is a hard-drive head failure. The read/write head of a hard-drive is one of the most sensitive pieces, if the stabilizer went bad or the laptop was jostled strongly while the hard-drive was operating, it can cause the read/write head to become damaged.

More often than not, the "symptoms" of head failure are data corruption(write head failure), excessive fragmentation(write failure with partial read failure), and in severe cases, failure to boot(read failure).

You can run a hard-drive test if you hook it into another computer, but if that option is unavailable, replacement hard-drives aren't that expensive these days. If there's important data on the drive that you need to salvage, you can take it to any tech support business that offers data recovery, but it does run a pretty penny.

Hope this helps, there's no way to be 100% positive that this is the cause, but it'll at least give you other possible directions to pursue to figure out exactly what's wrong.

8. HellsKitchenmanNYC

Gold Member

Albums:

How did you put XP on a Vista system? I was told this would never work as Vista is too different to work w/XP layed on top of it. I wish you luck and COMPLETELY understand your frustration!

9. Mem

Mem
    Gold Member

Do yo have the boot up disk that came with the computer? or system recovery disk? If not see if a friend can download a Vista or XP recovery disk from your computer manufacturer via a Torrent site.

10. B_dxjnorto

B_dxjnorto New Member

You can buy Vista Home from Newegg for $89 free shipping last time I checked. You can try wiping the hard drive and starting fresh. Assuming the hard drive or motherboard is not bricked, this will wipe the slate clean, just like having a new machine.

11. HellsKitchenmanNYC

Gold Member

Albums:
    If she can get he machine to work!

12. Mem

Mem
    Gold Member

How is she reading this? :biggrin1:

13. HazelGod

Gold Member

Albums:
    Windoze... :rolleyes:

OK, kids, here's how you determine if the problem is hardware related or not.

Download the Ubuntu Linux Live CD.

If the computer boots and runs from that CD, it's unlikely a hardware issue. My recommendation at that point is to click the icon on the desktop to install the OS to your hard drive, let it import your previous Windows settings, and then be done with microshit once and for all.

#13 HazelGod, Jun 16, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2009
  14. IntoxicatingToxin

Gold Member

This seems to be what we've figured out, I think. Got some "live" help from a computer nerd friend of mine, he said he thinks it's the hard drive. Can't get it to work for shit.

Put the XP disc in, deleted the partitions, then created a new one, then completely reformatted and installed XP. lol

It didn't come with a boot disk or system recovery disk.

I tried that twice, no luck.

On my desktop computer. :wink:

15. IntoxicatingToxin

Gold Member

Ya know. I was just talking to a friend last night about installing Ubuntu. *sigh* But, if it is in fact my hard drive like it honestly seems to be, then that won't help. :frown1:

16. HazelGod

Gold Member

Albums:
    If it is your hard drive, then booting and running from the CD will allow you to run fsck against the HD to determine if the problem lies there...and if it does, whether the problem is with the existing filesystem (corruption, etc) or if there an underlying physical defect.

EDIT:
    It will also give you the ability to backup/copy all your data files from the drive without having to load Windows.

#16 HazelGod, Jun 16, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2009
  17. HellsKitchenmanNYC

Gold Member

Albums:

I d/l this for future problems and all it did was give me an ISO kinda picture thing that you are somehow supposed to be able to burn to a disc but I can't seem to find out how. Hmm anyone know what this is all about? It's an 'image' or such.
    Thx in advance.

18. vince

Gold Member

Albums:
    If you are using vista there may be a program called Magic Disk or Magic ISO. There was on my Sony vista system. Anyways, you need a program like that to burn the ISO image to a cd or (better) DVD disk. Then you install the program from that disk. There are many programs out there and some are freeware. Google "ISO Burner"

I did it to install Windows 7 RC beta on my Sony laptop. What an improvement from vista! I've been using it for 7 weeks now and have had NO issues. No crashes, no lockups, it boots and shuts down crazy fast. It's like getting an all new high powered computer. AutoCad runs like a dream on Win7. AutoCad is the reason I don't use a Mac and I've never had such is good AutoCad experience before. Microshit may have finally got something right.

19. HazelGod

Gold Member

Albums:
    Here's a free Windows program for burning ISO images to disc.

20. HellsKitchenmanNYC

Gold Member

Albums:
Draft saved Draft deleted