Sexy Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
it does look awesome. Will Wright is a great game designer, up there with Miyamoto, IMO. I have only played the Sims stuff a little bit, but still appreciate it.
I will be going to E3 tomorrow and friday, its always great.

-Kinkyman

JonahFalcon

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
kinkymanca said:
it does look awesome. Will Wright is a great game designer, up there with Miyamoto, IMO. I have only played the Sims stuff a little bit, but still appreciate it.
I will be going to E3 tomorrow and friday, its always great.

-Kinkyman

What's even more amazing is that it'll be ported to handhelds (DS, PSP) with no scaleback in scope. :eek:

kinkymanca

Sexy Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
JonahFalcon said:
What's even more amazing is that it'll be ported to handhelds (DS, PSP) with no scaleback in scope. :eek:

well, that would be nice. but knowing the industry, I will wait to see it actually happen. though it could be doable. the power in the DS and PSP is amazing. the big holdback will be the media format itself. they are both limited compared to the regular consoles, but the PSP does have an edge with the UMD format. even on standard DVD type discs, t hey are running into space issues with the 360, since it currently doesnt use HD type media. but, looking at how well the SIMS franchise ported over to the handhelds, I hold hope that the Spore title will come out well.

from the reports out of E3 so far, things arent going as most thought they would.
the into of the PS3 has had some not so sweet parts. prices, lack of digital out on the cheaper version, lack of vibration on the controllers, the controllers appearing to be just about the same as PS2 models, etc. I do admit that it looks awesome, and that it was the show stopper last year.

microsoft seems to be rolling its xbox live features like mad. upcoming support for keeping track via mobile phone, and mobile phone titles. combine that with the fact that phone game popularity has grown by around 50% lately, and they have a great potential market. also, many of the add ons for the 360 look cool, especially the HD-DVD drive. if they can retail that at the $100 price point, I think thay may be a blu ray killer.

the nintendo "wiii" is starting to look pretty cool. after E3 last year, I thought it was going to be a dead duck. but a month or two ago, a buddy got a hands on, and told me about the new controller set up. it was hard to fathom the idea, and that it would work very well. now, I am very impressed with it, and seems like alot of others are as well. hats off to the big N for truely bringing a fresh concept, and executing it well. now ithey need come up with some delicious titles, announce some specs (HD/digital out or not), and give it a price. the rumors of it being in the $200 to $250 range is nice. but again, we have to wait and see.

OK, enough of the geeky game talk from somebody who is well into adulthood.

-Cambo

JonahFalcon

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
The Wii's graphics, however, are ass. Just dreadful. It's not "next-gen" -- more like XBox 1. And the controller isn't enough reason to buy -- and in some cases, a downright hindrance (trying playing Madden at E3 with that controller.)

There are no 'space issues' with the 360. The Gear of War developers thought they'd have problems, but ended up needing very little space.

Most of the space on DVDs are taken up by prerendered cutscenes.

kinkymanca

Sexy Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
JonahFalcon said:
The Wii's graphics, however, are ass. Just dreadful. It's not "next-gen" -- more like XBox 1. And the controller isn't enough reason to buy -- and in some cases, a downright hindrance (trying playing Madden at E3 with that controller.)

There are no 'space issues' with the 360. The Gear of War developers thought they'd have problems, but ended up needing very little space.

Most of the space on DVDs are taken up by prerendered cutscenes.

you are right, the Wii graphics are lacking big time, far from next gen. just saying that the new controller has garnered alot of praise so far, while in the Sony camp there has been some dissapointment. that is still not going to put the Wiii over the top of the PS3, or 360, no way. if the Wiii releases in time for holiday season, and the PS3 initial shipments are hard to get your hands on, I bet that will help bump the Wiii sales.

but, N has many times been the runner up in what is considered great grahics, but still done very well. the super nintendo was considered to be less than the sega genisis, but the titles really pushed it. same with the N64 and the playstaion 1. the PS did out sell the N64, but there were some other factors at play there. with the PC being optical media, and burned games a reality, that was more incentive for people to buy that console. N64 titles were still very strong sellers, and N did make a lot of money. now the gamecube, yeah, OK. I think it looked decent, and there were some ok titles. but not many. combine that with the fact that you could not play DVDs on it, and later versions lacked a digital out port, and tha didnt help sales at all. N as a company has always done things differently. usually it works out ok, but not always. and the sega dreamcast, RIP. that thing looked awesome, but there just wasnt alot of popularity with it, both with consumers and publishers. many people didnt buy them because of a lack of titles, and publishers didnt develop for them because of the low sales numbers. just didnt pan out.

and yeah, the controller isnt everything. but this is such a departure from anything in the past, it is hard to predict how it will pan out. remember, N is banking on the Wiii being more of a "family" thing, with more emphasis being on just getting people together to do something, vs being the end all of the set top box. more "fun" gaming vs "kick ass" gaming, if that makes sense. and they are surely thinking of the Japanese market, where crazy role playing titles are far more popular than here. I dont think there will be much of an issue with the controller for that type of game. as for Madden, and others like it, tough call. who knows how they will implement that, or if they will even port the title to the platform. (it might already be true/announced that it is, but I have not kept on top of it all) just an idea, though. they might use half of the controller to move the player on screen using the motion capabilies. tilt it forward, left, right, back, and the character moves that way. then with the other half, you do your commands, block, throw, etc. again, I have no facts, just a guess. if they have a demo of it, I will give it a try.

as for the space issues, it is due to the prerendered cut scenes. if they put alot in, and in HD, that starts eating up space. some of the early 360 titles were very short. Gun is a perfect example. only maybe 20 hrs worth of game play. very cool game play, but still short. plus, that was a release title, so the learning curve for the developors. if they dont include alot of this type of stuff on the handheld ports, then there shouldnt be too many issues. besides, the handhelds dont support HD anyway.

and yes, Gears of War is amazing looking. sadly, I will probably spend way too many hours with that very soon.

-Cambo

kinkymanca

Sexy Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
damn, I type way too much!!!

one thing I really dont like is the trend of putting the consoles up on end. with the cost of these being so high, it is usally an older demographic buying them. as such, that older demographic would tend to have more of an entertainment center, rather than good old cinder blocks and plywood shelves. most entertainment centers are configured to use standard flat type components. I know mine wont work with an upright type console, at least not with all my other gadgets and boxes (surround sound/disc changer, DVD recorder, DTivo, other consoles, input selector, etc.).

-Cambo

JonahFalcon

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
"Tell me why you would buy a $600 PS3?" Peter Moore, a Microsoft vice
president, said in an interview. "People are going to buy two
(machines.) They're going to buy an Xbox and they're going to buy a Wii
... for the price of one PS3."

kinkymanca

Sexy Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I think there is ALOT of people of that opinion, me among them. I will admit that I will still likely buy a PS3, but most likely not until the first price drop. the $600 is a hard big chunk, and even then you need to buy the games. most people spent $200 in games and accessories when they bought the 360, so that would make the PS3 come out to $800. for a game system!!!!

the "cheaper" version of the PS3, just wrong in my opinion. no HDMI, no wireless support, and no flash reader, all just a bad idea.

no HDMI is a huge thing. as soon as movie publishers decide to start implementing HDCP on discs.

-Cambo

JonahFalcon

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
kinkymanca said:
I just found this:

http://www.tgdaily.com/2006/05/11/nintendo_steals_thunder_at_e3/

damn, not sure how early I actually want to get there. gonna be a long tough day.

-Kinkyman

No one in their right mind thinks Nintendo stole any thunder. Actually, Nintendo's presentation was a big "ho hum".

MS had all of the big wows: Gears of War (playable demo, no less!), Grand Theft Auto 4, Halo 3.

kinkymanca

Sexy Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
and the forza motorsports, that one looks sweet. like I said, MS has had some great stuff showing.

another thing that I think is dissapointing at the moment with the PS3 is no mention of online support. I'm sure that it will be there, but in what form? will it be free, or subscription based? the free PS2 gaming was nice, but XBL still won that war even with the cost. and of course, the game cube suffered without it.

I think that so many people are all horny over N because it isnt released yet. it was the same as the 360 last year. add in the novelty factor of the controller, and you get the crowds. of course, that doesnt meant after the show, when all is said and done, that MS and Sony arent going to be the clear market leaders. just because you have a novel product, and alot of people are all over it,in the beginning doesnt mean its all that great and is going to last. just look at the chalupa. I would rather some good pad thai over that any day.

-Kinkyman

kinkymanca

Sexy Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
see, that is exactly the type of title that N excels at, and is so popular in Japan. AC was a ton of fun, even though I am an adult. N banks on this factor. at this point, there is almost no chance of the Wiii coming out on top. but with AC type of titles, they can still be successful. almost 5 years after the lauch of the cube, and the company is still around.

-Kinkyman

JonahFalcon

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
kinkymanca said:
see, that is exactly the type of title that N excels at, and is so popular in Japan. AC was a ton of fun, even though I am an adult. N banks on this factor. at this point, there is almost no chance of the Wiii coming out on top. but with AC type of titles, they can still be successful. almost 5 years after the lauch of the cube, and the company is still around.

Just wait for Viva Pinata. And Spore.

kinkymanca

Sexy Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
JonahFalcon said:
Just wait for Viva Pinata. And Spore.

HAHAHA, I just saw something on G4 about Viva Pinata. looks much like the AC concept, and I must say, LOVE it. Spore does look cool, but I have never been big on alot of the "world building" games. Sims, black and white, etc. but just because it isnt my cup of tea, doesnt meant I think it sucks. I fully appreciate how good the game is, and know it will likely do well. who knows, I might end up really liking it. I wasnt big into AC at first, but my buddy convinced me.

-Kinkyman