Game of Thrones

TexanStar

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Wait. So it was the boy in the wheelchair who won the throne? (asked by a non-viewer lol)

Yeah. There were really only 3 interested parties among the major characters and 2 of them bought the farm. Bran won by default :p

DiomedesXVI

Mythical Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Nevertheless we can feel pretty certain if the show had female writers they would not have sent the two main female characters off the way they did. And to literally hand everything over to the men to resolve everything. It's a fantasy series and they could have done anything they wanted including slaying misogyny which in the end they didn't.

'Game Of Thrones' Built Up Its Female Characters Just To Watch Them Fall | HuffPost
I mean, we can say this or that mighta coulda possibly maybe woulda potentially happened. But it’s still conjecture. Having women writers would give different styles, but there’s absolutely zero guarantee they wouldn’t have ignored those characters just the same. Being a woman writer doesn’t mean she won’t have the same flaws as the male writers do.

But what we have is what we have, and unless someone is willing enough and has the backing or budget enough to produce a revamped version of the show, then not much else can be done except wait and hope that GRRM will 1) actually finish writing his damn novels, and 2) give the characters a much more satisfying reasonable ending.

Reactions: ronin001

halcyondays

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
I saw a few partial episodes over the years. It was too violent for my tastes.

So I'm left wondering what the appeal was which attracted tens of millions of avid viewers. Violence? Sex? The fantasy world? Mythic creatures like dragons? The soap opera of power dynamics? The "reality TV" hook of who will be eliminated next?

I loved reading The Lord of the Rings trilogy but didn't like Jackson's movies because they were so overloaded with combat.

What say ye?

After so many year building up to the final episode I was left dissatisfied.
Probs. Like what women would feel like after a hookup with 98 percent of of the men on this site.
A big flat MEH. Is that it?

Duty is the death of love.

Beedie Tijii

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I saw a few partial episodes over the years. It was too violent for my tastes.

So I'm left wondering what the appeal was which attracted tens of millions of avid viewers. Violence? Sex? The fantasy world? Mythic creatures like dragons? The soap opera of power dynamics? The "reality TV" hook of who will be eliminated next?

I loved reading The Lord of the Rings trilogy but didn't like Jackson's movies because they were so overloaded with combat.

What say ye?
The A Song Of Ice And Fire books are better than the TV show. I have been reading them for a second time since the show ended and it's crazy how much great content HBO changed unnecessarily or left out.

ActionBuddy

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
No Response
OK, then... Now, it's really over and done with... Even though a high percentage of GoT fans were not totally happy or thrilled about it's final season, (myself, included), it still received an all-time record number of Emmy nominations: 32!... And, took home an impressive 12.

Since the final episode, many of us have re-watched the entire series, dabbled with offshoot video games, or possibly delved into "reading the books"... *yawn*... So, now, I'm curious about what you die-hard GoT fans have been watching since?

But, instead of kicking a dead horse here, in this GoT-centric thread, let's move on.

I've started a new discussion thread here in the Et Cetera, Et Cetera Forum, titled:

What TV series are die-hard 'Game of Thrones' fans watching now?

A/B

Alepe

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight

ActionBuddy

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
No Response
This isn't about the show, but, I thought this article might interest some of you GoT fans:

Smithsonian Magazine:
Dire Wolves Weren't Actually Wolves, DNA Analysis Reveals
Ancient DNA extracted from fossils shows the beast split off from Canis lupus and coyotes nearly 6 million years ago

Dire wolves have lunged into the public imagination through their enormous and fearsome fictional representation in Game of Thrones. Though the show exaggerates their size—they were only about 20 percent larger than today’s gray wolves—these prehistoric canines were very real and very deadly hunters that roamed North America until roughly 13,000 years ago.

But now, new research published this week in the journal Nature reveals that the real animal diverges from what you may have seen on TV in a more fundamental way. When researchers sequenced the extinct predator’s genome, they found it wasn’t a wolf at all but instead a distinct lineage that split off from the rest of the canines some 5.7 million years ago, reports James Gorman for the New York Times.

The startling result upends the notion that the dire wolf was a sister species to the gray wolf and adds precious evolutionary detail to a species that was once a common sight in North America. (More than 4,000 of the creatures have been pulled from the La Brea tar pits in Los Angeles alone, reports Angela Watercutter for Wired.)

To reveal the dire wolf’s true evolutionary identity, researchers extracted DNA from five fossils between 13,000 and 50,000 years old and sequenced their genomes. The team ultimately recovered around a quarter of the nuclear genome and a full complement of mitochondrial DNA from the samples, writes David Grimm for Science.

Though the bones of the dire wolf are so similar to today’s gray wolves that paleontologists sometimes have trouble telling them apart, the genes told an entirely different story when researchers compared them to those of living canine species.

“Even though they look like wolves, dire wolves actually have nothing to do with wolves,” Angela Perri, a zooarchaeologist at Durham University and one of the study’s lead authors, tells Science.

In addition to not being part of the wolf’s evolutionary tribe, the dire wolf DNA also showed that the species’ lineage is separate from the other living branches of the canine evolutionary tree, including African jackals, coyotes and dogs.

“These results totally shake up the idea that dire wolves were just bigger cousins of gray wolves,” Yukon paleontologist Grant Zazula, who was not involved in the new study, tells Riley Black for Scientific American. “The study of ancient DNA and proteins from fossil bones is rapidly rewriting the ice age and more recent history of North America’s mammals.”

A/B

ActionBuddy

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
No Response
This could be exciting... But, I wish he would just sit down and finish the books of "A Song of Ice and Fire", for gawd's sake!

Hollywood Reporter:
George R.R. Martin Signs Massive Five-Year Overall Deal with HBO

George R.R. Martin is founding a new content kingdom at HBO. The Game of Thrones author just signed a massive overall deal to develop more programming for the network and its streaming service, HBO Max. Sources say Martin's contract spans five years and is worth mid-eight figures.

The news comes on the heels of a surge of Game of Thrones prequels being put into development. All told, the network has five projects based on Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire fantasy world in the development stage and one (House of the Dragon) that's been greenlit to series.

There is much more to read in the above article about upcoming programs. Curious about whether the producers/directors of G.o.T. will be involved in any of them?

George-R.-R.-Martin-Getty-H-2021-1615345134-928x523.jpg

A/B

Last edited:

6inchcock

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
This could be exciting... But, I wish he would just sit down and finish the books of "A Song of Ice and Fire", for gawd's sake!

Hollywood Reporter:
George R.R. Martin Signs Massive Five-Year Overall Deal with HBO

George R.R. Martin is founding a new content kingdom at HBO. The Game of Thrones author just signed a massive overall deal to develop more programming for the network and its streaming service, HBO Max. Sources say Martin's contract spans five years and is worth mid-eight figures.

The news comes on the heels of a surge of Game of Thrones prequels being put into development. All told, the network has five projects based on Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire fantasy world in the development stage and one (House of the Dragon) that's been greenlit to series.

There is much more to read in the above article about upcoming programs. Curious about whether the producers/directors of G.o.T. will be involved in any of them?

View attachment 32071561

A/B

Be nice to see the Ned (Sean Bean) character prior to getting duped and losing his head.

ActionBuddy

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Be nice to see the Ned (Sean Bean) character prior to getting duped and losing his head.

I would also like to see a GoT prequel series. We got tidbits of scenes of what went on before the HBO series "time" began, but it would be great to have the whole story of very young Ned's generation flushed out. Before the House of Targaryens was defeated. I would be more keen to see that than a new story, in that same world, which takes place 500 years before or after the time in GoT. I guess partly because I am rather attached to the storylines of those older characters, before their marriages and offspring.

Although, I would also love to see a series based on the time and situation when the wall was needed to be built in the North. I don't even know if George R.R. Martin has written anything extensive about that time period, which, I think was 1,000 years prior, but with his permission, like with GoT, someone else could.

A/B

Last edited:

ActionBuddy

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
No Response
ScreenRant.com:
Every Upcoming Netflix Show From Game Of Thrones Creators Weiss & Benioff
Game of Thrones David Benioff and D.B. Weiss signed a multi-film and television deal with Netflix in 2019. Here are all their upcoming projects.

Game of Thrones creators David Benioff and D.B. Weiss are working on several upcoming Netflix projects, and here's what we know about them so far. In 2019, following Game of Thrones derided season 8, the showrunners signed a five-year, $250 million writing, producing, and directing deal with the streaming service. According to Variety, the competition to lure the creative duo away from HBO was fierce and came down to a three-way bidding war between Netflix, Amazon Studios, and Disney. Before signing Weiss and Benioff, Netflix had successfully forged agreements with other powerhouse talents Shonda Rhimes, Ryan Murphy, Jenji Kohan, Brad Falchuk, and Janet Mock.

Even before Game of Thrones reached its conclusion, Weiss and Benioff were lining up their next projects. In 2018, THR announced the twosome would be writing and producing a new trilogy of Star Wars movies for Disney's Lucasfilm. the first of which was set to be released in 2022 (In October 2019, Weiss and Benioff would no longer oversee the films due to their new commitment to Netflix.) The duo was also developing the controversial slavery sci-fi drama Confederate for HBO. The series took place in an alternate timeline, with the South successfully seceding from the Union and slavery remaining a lauded and integral institution (In January 2020, Confederate was canceled.) In the wake of their deal with Netflix, Weiss and Benioff signed on to produce a film based on the graphic novel Lovecraft for Warner Bros. Since announcing the deal in December 2019, the untitled project appears to have stalled.

ScreenRant.com:
What Went Wrong With Game Of Thrones Season 8
Game of Thrones became one of the most beloved TV series of all time, but its final season is one of the most hated. What went wrong in season 8?

A/B

ActionBuddy

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
No Response
There are rumors on this thing called the Internet, that even the former producers/writers/directors of HBO's "Game of Thrones", would like to try to re-make the very hurried and disappointing, final season.

I'm not holding my breath, waiting for that to happen, but it would be interesting to view, if they went for it.

Most of the original cast have said that they have "moved on", to other projects.

A/B