gangsta rap invented to encourage black on black crime??

transformer_99

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
To me, what Alicia Keys describes, any black on black crime, is just a territorial microcosm of what we're seeing in any 3rd world nation or even in Iraq. The coupe has created a vacancy in the order of governance and the factions seeking control and power will resort to violence to secure what each feels is their rightful destiny, even if it's murder or larceny. And there will be the Alicia Key's of the world that would like to deflect responsibility and accountability on others. Isn't the human race wonderful ?

D_Prudence_Admonition_Drightits

Experimental Member
Media
This like the question does life imitate art or does art imitate life?

First, I would like to say I do not listen to or support gansta rap. I do not allow my son to listen to gangsta rap either. I don't think gansta rap was invented to encourage black on black crime, but it sure does not help the situation either. I dislike the way it glorifies crime and the degrades black women. It is very impressionable on young children- the next generation. Their minds are like sponges and unfortunately there are some parents out there that allow their young children to absorb this type of information. If there is not a strong parental guidance these children do grow up believing this is the way life is suppose to be; this is the way they are suppose to act otherwise they are labeled "punk".

Gansta rap represents such a small population in the black culture. I hate when it is used to be the representative of a whole culture. I have been to Watts and to Compton but I don't live there. That is not me, that is not my life.

I support musicians like Branford Marsalis
He is about supporting his community and the preservation of Jazz music...my type of music, my life.

naughty

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
This like the question does life imitate art or does art imitate life?

First, I would like to say I do not listen to or support gansta rap. I do not allow my son to listen to gangsta rap either. I don't think gansta rap was invented to encourage black on black crime, but it sure does not help the situation either. I dislike the way it glorifies crime and the degrades black women. It is very impressionable on young children- the next generation. Their minds are like sponges and unfortunately there are some parents out there that allow their young children to absorb this type of information. If there is not a strong parental guidance these children do grow up believing this is the way life is suppose to be; this is the way they are suppose to act otherwise they are labeled "punk".

Gansta rap represents such a small population in the black culture. I hate when it is used to be the representative of a whole culture. I have been to Watts and to Compton but I don't live there. That is not me, that is not my life.

I support musicians like Branford Marsalis
He is about supporting his community and the preservation of Jazz music...my type of music, my life.

C,

Save your breath. There seems to be an element that is going to believe what suits their vision of the world. Don't you love when people tell you about yourself?:rolleyes:

B_VinylBoy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
cinnamon & naughty - Actually, I think what cinamon said about this issue is spot on. A lot of the problems surrounding youth today circulate around the parents. If they're not strong individuals who enforce rules properly and teach them the difference between proper and improper behavior, the kids grow up influenced by all these negative sources and it affects them socially.

I remember when I was 8 years old being told that I could watch one of Eddie Murphy's standups for the first time. At first, my mom wasn't going to let me do it. Then she thought about it and said, "Fine. You can watch it. But if I hear you say anything from the show out loud then I'm going to pop you one in the mouth". Whatever that meant, it obviously worked because now I'm 35 years old and I still can't see myself swearing in front of my mom. :)

naughty

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
cinnamon & naughty - Actually, I think what cinamon said about this issue is spot on. A lot of the problems surrounding youth today circulate around the parents. If they're not strong individuals who enforce rules properly and teach them the difference between proper and improper behavior, the kids grow up influenced by all these negative sources and it affects them socially.

I remember when I was 8 years old being told that I could watch one of Eddie Murphy's standups for the first time. At first, my mom wasn't going to let me do it. Then she thought about it and said, "Fine. You can watch it. But if I hear you say anything from the show out loud then I'm going to pop you one in the mouth". Whatever that meant, it obviously worked because now I'm 35 years old and I still can't see myself swearing in front of my mom. :)

Good for you. Yes it is unfortunate that there are sectors of the black community that make up much of what we see televised and portrayed in movies. I find it sad that there are individuals on this board who feel this is all there is to the black community. Most black people I know live relatively boring lives , make relatively conservative decisions and go to work and take care of their families. It is those that have unfortunately been left behind in the waves out of the ghetto that gain the most attention of the media . I am not ashamed of black people or of being black but I want to make it known that they do not represent all or even most black people in America. The Cosby's do exist.

marleyisalegend

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
okay everybody's focusing on the sensationalism of a government conspiracy and cover-up and phil's bigotted comments about black people looking to cast blame on the white man is just continual examples of his generalizing black people into one category probably for his own pleasure because nobody is trying to cast the blame on the government except the person that was quoted. if phil actually puts down his "KKK: Nothing is wrong with hate and prejudice" pamphlet and read my posts he'd understand that the black community is just as at fault as anybody else, like parents who go out to the club while their 4th grader is struggling to read and compute. The government conspiracy is obvious bullshit but to say that black community is constantly trying to find other people to blame is outrageous. Do some blacks constantly lay blame elsewhere?? Yes, but your blanket statements about the entire race are ignorant and hold no merit and you obviously ignore the fact black intelligence has helped fuel the advancement of this country in more ways than you'll ever care to give credit for. There are many contributions black americans have made that make your life as comfortable and secure as it is but I realize there's nothing I can do to change your disgusting negative opinions that all black people are big-lipped, lazy, inarticulate fools so I'm gonna let you live in your fantasy world of white supremacy. ANYWAY, back to the original topic at hand, what do you guys think needs to happen to pull our youth out of this rut we're in?? It's obvious that as long as there is financial gain to be made, these rappers will never stop their minstrel show of waving guns around and praising materialism, so I guess the first major step would be to discontinue supporting these artists (and I use the term loosely).

Anybody else know how we could end the glorification of this lifestyle that's nothing but a burden on our community

Phil Ayesho

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
Whoa, fella. I don't think any rational black male would ever blame just "white society" for this phenomenon. That is, unless you want to imply, that the entire music industry is run by nothing but white men?
READ the thread title.
Who do you THINK it implies invented Rap to encourage black on black crime?

Sorry, but Hip-Hop culture is more than just a black thing now. It's crossed all social genres and all races.

Wrong.

Its a black thing to blacks...
When they see white kids hip hopped up... they think they are trying to borrow black culture.

Its their favorite stereotype... that other groups stole Jazz, Rock and Roll, Blues, etc.

And when I see white kids dressed up in gansta attire... I feel almost as sad for their idiotic affectations as I do for the back kids who dress that way.

People decry stereotyping.... while they pull on the uniform that tells the world how to think of them.

marleyisalegend

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
READ the thread title.
Who do you THINK it implies invented Rap to encourage black on black crime?

When they see white kids hip hopped up... they think they are trying to borrow black culture.

Its their favorite stereotype... that other groups stole Jazz, Rock and Roll, Blues, etc.

And when I see white kids dressed up in gansta attire... I feel almost as sad for their idiotic affectations as I do for the back kids who dress that way.

People decry stereotyping.... while they pull on the uniform that tells the world how to think of them.

who is the they you keep referring to phil?? seems to me like there's only one type of black person in your mind. every single post i've read of yours categorizes black people, puts them down, demeans them, and typecasts them. i can't believe it took me this long to realize that you're racist. the bickering back and forth was cute but now that i know you're on one level or another racist, i'm definitely gonna have to ignore you, spread your hate and ignorance elsewhere

Phil Ayesho

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
okay everybody's focusing on the sensationalism of a government conspiracy and cover-up and phil's bigotted comments about black people looking to cast blame on the white man is just continual examples of his generalizing black people into one category probably for his own pleasure because nobody is trying to cast the blame on the government except the person that was quoted. if phil actually puts down his "KKK: Nothing is wrong with hate and prejudice" pamphlet and read my posts he'd understand that the black community is just as at fault as anybody else, like parents who go out to the club while their 4th grader is struggling to read and compute.

My posts are not bigoted, Marley.

The title to this thread, and every post you have made are what is bigoted.

Hell, calling people who do not mouth black stereotypes bigoted, is bigoted...

I have backed up my assertions with argument, example and analogy. They are based upon real information.

You have yet to make a cogent argument at all.

The title of this thread, alone, is a ridiculous invocation of a racist agenda.

invoking racist accusations is not really an effective rebuttal. Nothing I have said here is racist, nor bigoted.

The idea that blacks, as a people, are equally flawed to whites, as a people, is a doctrine of equality.

If you don't have the education or the information to discuss the cultural dynamics involved directly, fine.

But I don't need you, of all people, calling me a bigot.

Not saying I am free of bigotry... mind you... just that I fess up to mine.

When you manage to face your own bigotry, your own stereotyping of others, then maybe you will be capable of understanding what I have said here.

faceking

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Marijuana, cocaine, AIDS/HIV, gangsta rap, meth....

When does it stop..... the government invented the NBA to get b-ball boiz DUIs like Melo and keep them down. There will never be another Jerry West... after all the logo is of a white man.

And of course Alicia backpaddles...

B_VinylBoy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Wrong.

We're going to have to disagree here. I seperate the music from the culture. Rap is nothing more than a voice for the culture that is Hip-Hop. There's many other elements that define Hip-Hop as a whole. The people who initially created the music had every intention for others to hear it, embrace it and eventually buy it. And if I recall, there were already Latino & White B-Boy crews as well as rappers, long before some cop decided to define NWA's music as "Gangster Rap" nearly a decade later.

The only reason why we see lots of this now is because Rap music is now mainstream. It achieved the same kind of mainstream success that Disco did in the late 70s. And of course, with the mainstream success comes the imitators and knock-offs. People who don't know any better attach themselves to these imitators because they only go by the glorified images that they see. But ask anyone who was involved with Hip-Hop in the beginning and they'd say the same thing. The whole gangster mentality was just a small component of Rap music... that is, until corporate influence came into the picture and marketed Rap music in this fashion for they thought it was the only formula to follow.

I don't see it as a bad thing at all. It's not the dress that defines oneself, it's their actions. The initial goal was to bring Rap music and Hip-Hop culture to the forefront and now it has. Now all we have to do is get kids off the BS and have them focus on quality music that isn't all about drug dealing, gun shots and big booty ho's. A tough one, I know... but it's possible. :redface:

faceking

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I don't see it as a bad thing at all. It's not the dress that defines oneself, it's their actions. The initial goal was to bring Rap music and Hip-Hop culture to the forefront and now it has. Now all we have to do is get kids off the BS and have them focus on quality music that isn't all about drug dealing, gun shots and big booty ho's. A tough one, I know... but it's possible. :redface:

Ehhhh
I have to somewhat disagree and say this is an indirect personification of the "badazz" lifestyle. I can't point enough pictures of rural America (whites, latinos, black, and especially mid-to-upper-class asians) ... who throw lame azz signs in pictures, flat caps tilted, girls posing to fight and so forth... the dress goes both ways... those whom wish to assimilate with, and those are just being fasionable, but BLATANTLY know the underlying tone.

I'm thinking circa '79... kids in Kansas with shaggy blond hair and a conch shell necklace (edit: longing to get hold of that Humboldt Purple Haired Indica (just makes your eyes red thinkin' about it, huh)]... thousands of miles from the burnout surf culture of California....

B_VinylBoy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Ehhhh
I have to somewhat disagree and say this is an indirect personification of the "badazz" lifestyle. I can't point enough pictures of rural America (whites, latinos, black, and especially mid-to-upper-class asians) ... who throw lame azz signs in pictures, flat caps tilted, girls posing to fight and so forth... the dress goes both ways... those whom wish to assimilate with, and those are just being fasionable, but BLATANTLY know the underlying tone.

I'm thinking circa '79... kids in Kansas with shaggy blond hair and a conch shell necklace (edit: longing to get hold of that Humboldt Purple Haired Indica (just makes your eyes red thinkin' about it, huh)]... thousands of miles from the burnout surf culture of California....

There's a difference between the crowds that were into Hip-Hop before it went mainstream and after. This music always had a high level of ego to it, but that was based more on skills (whether it be Rapping, dancing or grafitti) than bling.

Of course, when it wasn't about the "bad-azz mentality", it wasn't mainstream either. Now it's everywhere, and most of the people who market it have associated it with living the life of a gangsta. That's why people in rural areas act the way they do because they didn't get a chance to see acts like De La Soul, A Tribe Called Quest, Black Sheep, EPMD, and many other skill-based groups when the music was fresh and new. All we see now is Lil' John, G-Unit, Soljia Boy and many other formulated, paint-by-number rap acts where all they do is capitalize on an outdated and extremely negative formula. That's what mainstream America see as the face of Rap, so it makes sense that they would mimick that. If we want to fix that image, we should be getting fans of Rap to pay more attention to more conscious & thought provoking artists like Common, Talib Kwali, Akir, Phene & The Roots. Then things will change.

Either that, or we can scare them all away with Techno. :biggrin1:

naughty

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
There's a difference between the crowds that were into Hip-Hop before it went mainstream and after. This music always had a high level of ego to it, but that was based more on skills (whether it be Rapping, dancing or grafitti) than bling.

Of course, when it wasn't about the "bad-azz mentality", it wasn't mainstream either. Now it's everywhere, and most of the people who market it have associated it with living the life of a gangsta. That's why people in rural areas act the way they do because they didn't get a chance to see acts like De La Soul, A Tribe Called Quest, Black Sheep, EPMD, and many other skill-based groups when the music was fresh and new. All we see now is Lil' John, G-Unit, Soljia Boy and many other formulated, paint-by-number rap acts where all they do is capitalize on an outdated and extremely negative formula. That's what mainstream America see as the face of Rap, so it makes sense that they would mimick that. If we want to fix that image, we should be getting fans of Rap to pay more attention to more conscious & thought provoking artists like Common, Talib Kwali, Akir, Phene & The Roots. Then things will change.

Either that, or we can scare them all away with Techno. :biggrin1:

Thank you! Old School Rap! Bring it back!

HEavyMetal22

Just Browsing
Media
rap concerts suck anyways. why people pay money to see some dude give a half assed effort at entertaining is beyond me.

Im a huge hip hop fan and thats one thing that i have to agree on is that rappers cant perform on a stage at all id rather go to a rock concert than a rap concert any day of the week

HEavyMetal22

Just Browsing
Media
hip hop is a dieing breed of music

there is no diversity in it any more like back in the 90s and none of these rappers that are famous cant rap what so ever... and you wanna know what makes me sick is when all of these stupid retards who think they know everything about hip hop think that lil wayne, souljah boy, and all of these rappers are the best of all time

people dont know anything about hip hop music they hav to start listening to like a tribe called quest.... thats my group right there

i hope real hip hop comes bac one day

B_VinylBoy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Im a huge hip hop fan and thats one thing that i have to agree on is that rappers cant perform on a stage at all id rather go to a rock concert than a rap concert any day of the week

Go see The Roots live in concert and be amazed.
I saw them once during the New Orleans Jazz Festival a few years ago. A live band that play all of their instruments with a DJ, and can go from their own records to a rendition of any song. They even started rocking out "Smells Like Teen Spirit" right in the middle of their set, while the lead was freestyling on it. No pyrotechnicks, no huge army of homeboys all with mics screaming at crowds to get their hands up, no elevated stage full of booty hos in thongs (is this really a bad thing? Hee hee hee!). Just a group of musically talented brothers who can rock ANY style of music at any time, and it's all live.

Of course, this is only one Hip-Hop show worth going to. There's others, but they're few and far between.