Garage space vs garages used for cars

How many garage spaces vs garage spaces parked in

• No garage or car-port (street or parking garage)

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • 1 car - use 0

Votes: 3 14.3%
  • 1 car - use 1

• 2 car - use 0

• 2 car - use 1

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • 2 car - use 2

Votes: 7 33.3%
  • 3 car - use 0

• 3 car - use 1

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 3 car - use 2

• 3 car - use 3

• 4 car - use 0

• 4 car - use 1

• 4 car - use 2

• 4 car - use 3

• 4 car - use 4

• > 5 garage spots, answer in forum

• Total voters

supersecretlemur

Expert Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Valley of the Sun Mobile Home Park (United States)
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I am curious... how much garage space people have and how many people actually park cars in those spaces?

I live in suburbia and while most houses have 2 car garages (some 3) most people park, 0-1 cars in their garages.

So how many garage spots do you have, how many vehicles do you park in there, and why? This can also apply to people with car-ports instead of garages. If you have >2 spots and only 1 car, but have the space to park another car in there, then that would be 2 spots, 2 cars, even though you don't actually have two cars in there (etc.).

Thanks for your answers in advance.

Last edited:

supersecretlemur

Expert Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I'll start, I have a 2 car and park 2 cars in there.

Currently actually only 1, since I don't have another car right now, but the space is clear.

Reasoning: It is a car garage, not a storage pit for stuff that I don't use. I actually have workout equipment and woodworking equipment in there too, but pull the car out if I'm working on that. Having cars in the garage here in Phoenix helps the temperature down - don't see how people don't use what they have to help with this, honestly, as car temperatures get up to ~140 inside if sitting in the sun.

Last edited:

supersecretlemur

Expert Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
It is a small 2-car garage and too tight to get a sedan and pickup into it so the sedan gets the garage and the pickup sits in the driveway.
It does seem that many standard garages don't fit trucks anymore.

twoton

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
We moved in to this house, a modest sized suburban "colonial" 16 years ago. It's a one car garage with a two car driveway. We have two cars. When we moved in, I vowed there would always be space in the garage for a car. That lasted about three years.

Ever since then, the garage has been full of stuff. I clear it out a few times a year, but there's never enough space for a car.

EllieP

Worshipped Member
Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
We bought a house with a 3-car garage because Cap got another truck, but he couldn't get rid of his old one. It "lived" in the garage untouched for over three years. I swear I didn't browbeat him into finally sending it to the old truck's home, but he finally realized how silly it was to keep.

We had a golf cart there for a while to just ride back and forth to the market, but it hardly got used ( and neither of us golf) so it went, too. There's a riding lawn mower and accessories there now.

supersecretlemur

Expert Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Am I the only one that thinks it is weird to have a multi-car garage and not use it for vehicles?

I can understand one spot being used for storage (even if it is only a single car garage, so no cars in the garage) but two spots, both being used for storage? It's not like it is a wall of stuff... it is just all spread out... junk. Like if they got some rubbermaid containers they could park at least one car in there.

It is amazing what you see when you start walking around your neighborhood for exercise. :tongue:

bar4doug

Loved Member
Media
Am I the only one that thinks it is weird to have a multi-car garage and not use it for vehicles?

I can understand one spot being used for storage (even if it is only a single car garage, so no cars in the garage) but two spots, both being used for storage? It's not like it is a wall of stuff... it is just all spread out... junk. Like if they got some rubbermaid containers they could park at least one car in there.

It is amazing what you see when you start walking around your neighborhood for exercise. :tongue:

They began as a place to store your vehicle... keep it out of the elements. But they've morphed into a place to store the stuff we consume.

My parent's kept their car in theirs. Then they added the lawn equipment. Then they built a loft in it to store other seasonal items, like the Christmas tree, holiday decorations, and eventually more and more stuff.

Now my dad's garage is like his workshop. Table saw, bicycle storage, plus everything else BUT a car...

Funny... we spend 30k+ on a car, have the means to keep it out of the elements, yet we store stuff that might cost 1/10th of that in the garage instead...

Maybe it's the desire NOT to have to open the door, move the car, close the door, or have to car-jockey other vehicles...

twoton

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I was looking around our neighborhood. We're about the only house with a one car garage. However, it would be nearly impossible to park two cars in the "two car" garages.

More and more of the new houses (starting around 5 years ago) have three car.

vince

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
One car, one truck, several motorcycles and one big ass garage that was a horse stable. It has two sets of doors that swing outward but it could easily accommodate another set. All the vehicles mostly stay inside and there is a little space to tinker on the bikes. I built a separate workshop on the other side, with a guest house in the loft.

I've never liked keeping stuff around we don't need, so if it doesn't get used, it goes to the flea market. Except for tools. Don't fuck with the tools...

supersecretlemur

Expert Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
They began as a place to store your vehicle... keep it out of the elements. But they've morphed into a place to store the stuff we consume.

My parent's kept their car in theirs. Then they added the lawn equipment. Then they built a loft in it to store other seasonal items, like the Christmas tree, holiday decorations, and eventually more and more stuff.

Now my dad's garage is like his workshop. Table saw, bicycle storage, plus everything else BUT a car...

Funny... we spend 30k+ on a car, have the means to keep it out of the elements, yet we store stuff that might cost 1/10th of that in the garage instead...

Maybe it's the desire NOT to have to open the door, move the car, close the door, or have to car-jockey other vehicles...
I have no problem with using the garage as storage... but do it smart. Get cabinets or ceiling racks.

I was looking around our neighborhood. We're about the only house with a one car garage. However, it would be nearly impossible to park two cars in the "two car" garages.

More and more of the new houses (starting around 5 years ago) have three car.
There are quite a bit of garages that I've seen that are narrow here in Arizona, too. Either cars have gotten wider over the years or garage design had some serious oversight at one point in time.

One car, one truck, several motorcycles and one big ass garage that was a horse stable. It has two sets of doors that swing outward but it could easily accommodate another set. All the vehicles mostly stay inside and there is a little space to tinker on the bikes. I built a separate workshop on the other side, with a guest house in the loft.

I've never liked keeping stuff around we don't need, so if it doesn't get used, it goes to the flea market. Except for tools. Don't fuck with the tools...
That is kind of what started this all in general. I did some spring cleaning (entire house) and really bucked down and was like "what do I still really need?" TBH, not a ton. And absolutely, never mess with the tools (I actually use mine quite a bit anyways). So when I go on my walks and see more than half the people not parking in their garage because the entire floor is covered by 1 foot of trash I kind of go - WTF would you not organize that into bins, cabinets, or overhead storage and get back 90% of your garage?

And that is aside from the point that they could probably donate or sell most of it instead of just having it aimlessly clutter.

edonline

LPSG Legend
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
One car garage which I use since I don't drive on a daily (sometimes weekly) basis. It's just slightly bigger than my Jeep Cherokee but I keep some auto supplies and odds-and-end in it. The only thing I would change would be a new garage door since the existing one is getting cracks and possibly make it automatic (although I've heard that manual doors are more secure). All of the houses nearby have garages but I would say maybe four out of five houses actually use the garages. The others park their car(s) outside either out of convenience or out of convenience, having converted garage areas to patio areas, deck spaces or converting the garage itself.