Garden Photos.

They are native to south Texas and the Copper Canyon areas of Mexico. But they do great here in Dallas. I never water anything I plant and considering it will be 100 degrees (38 C) for 3 months, it takes a tough species. I plant natives almost exclusively.

Good idea. Much better to plant stuff that likes the conditions rather than struggling to keep things alive that just aren't suited to it. Those daisies do sound pretty tough lol.

We have to plant stuff here that like it damp with not all that much sun.

BirdinMo

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Good idea. Much better to plant stuff that likes the conditions rather than struggling to keep things alive that just aren't suited to it. Those daisies do sound pretty tough lol.

We have to plant stuff here that like it damp with not all that much sun.[/QUOTE]

A moss garden!?!?! I love moss gardens! I have no shade for one or else thats what I would do. I have full sun all day.

A moss garden!?!?! I love moss gardens! I have no shade for one or else thats what I would do. I have full sun all day.

It's cool once you get used to what'll grow lol. Mainly ferns, fatsia, astilbe, etc. Some Philadelphus too. :) and loads of ivy, lol.

joyboytoy79

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Our peach tree burst into bloom last week, and I managed to get a few photos before the wind blew all the petals off over the weekend. I love peach trees: pretty flowers that smell heavenly, and then fruit that tastes just as good!

Peach Solo 1.jpg

Peach Solo 2.jpg

Peach Duet.jpg

Peach Chorus Bee Solo.jpg

And here's the Irises at the base of the peach tree. They look so nice, but I wish they'd bloom at the same time as the peach.
iris pot.jpg

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
JBT thanks for these posts. Love them. The tree outside my window should be flowering next week so I'll post when it does. Keep them coming everyone this is my second favorite season.

karldergrosse

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
JoyBT: Beautiful peach blossoms, esp. photo with bee! This has been an odd spring here with wonky, unpredictable weather. In normal years my peach, pear, and crabapple trees are solid with bloom, but only a relatively few scattered blossoms this year. Have a number of mini-irises, slightly different in color from yours, growing around an old oak at the edge of the woods. Will post a picture of them when they bloom later (do you keep yours somewhere warm in order to get them to bloom so early, or is it an early-blooming variety?).

Bird: Great idea about a moss garden! You can see one variety of naturally occurring moss covering the boulders (which are much larger than they appear in the photo without anything to indicate scale) in my rock-garden-site (Link 51)--but it only clings to the rock. Spanish moss doesn't grow here, of course--wish it did: quite dramatic. Do you have any suggestions for other types to fit my site? I have a few examples of resurrection fern that grows on old trees, which would complement mosses, but it can't be moved without killing it. Maybe I'll try transplanting some fiddlehead ferns from deeper in the woods to the rock garden--hadn't thought to do that before.

Quercusone: Have you tried adding Indian Blanket to your other flowers for an extra dash of bright color? As I'm sure you know, they grow wild and in profusion over much of Central Texas, and seem pretty drought-resistant. Can't remember, but I'd think that they are to be found in the Dallas area?

Joll: Maybe you could suggest some mosses that might grow in the American Upper South? As for one plant you mention having plenty of, I'm reluctant to report that I have to eradicate much English Ivy around here. It climbs everything it can dig its wiry roots into, smothering to death smaller trees and giving huge trees the very devil of a time to survive. But I do have a lush patch of 25 or 30 square yards away from trees, where it makes an interesting attraction (and saves that much mowing!). Would love to have a few of your "planters" left over from the curling-stone days! I'm an ardent rock hound.

Karl: Yeh ivy's a real pain. Ours has grown loads since the back garden pic was taken. It's roots are a problem in that little plant bed thing. It's starting to strangle the climbing rose that's there - and the bluebells look a bit knackered too this yr :(

Not too sure of any moss types. We've got some in the front garden but think it's just 'bog'-standard ;)
Ferns do well here tho - maybe Harts Tongue Fern would suit your area?..what are the conditions exactly? Heucheras are cool too. And I LOVE gunnera - much too big for here tho.
Can you get roses to grow round yours? Didn't used to like 'em, but they grow a treat here, heheh. Love wild ones especially.

PS: On a random note here - do any other fellow garden-luvvas think Saruman was a real tw*t for digging up the cool garden near his tower in LOTR? haha :p

karldergrosse

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Joll: Thanks for suggestions--will look into them at nurseries. Don't know Harts Tongue Fern--have mostly Fiddleheads in my woods, so far as I know. Need to go on a hunt in the far-back acreage, which I've not been into for years...maybe different ones there. Yes, I have a few domestic rose bushes--one of my favorite flowers. But I do my best to eradicate wild ones, since they are not at all bashful about taking over anything and everything in their path...huge areas...if left unchecked. (Think: Sleeping Beauty...Dornroeschen in German, = Little Thornrose.) The vine-like stems grow to at least 10 or 12 feet, and the whole complex can climb at least to that same height...make passage through them impossible. Perhaps English wild ones are different from ours...not so much a pest?

P.S. Have never readd LotR nor seen the movies, except for an animated one. Thus can't respond with an opinion. (And speaking of that series, have you been back to the "This or That" thread since I last posted...?)

joyboytoy79

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Karl,

Thanks for the compliment! The Irises are Iris reticulata 'Cantab'. They bloom at the same time as snow crocus. I love the color (big fan of blue) and they smell pretty too, although only in the early morning/late evening. That picture was actually taken March 13th. In warmer areas, they're known to bloom in late february. Lovely plants.

Do the wild roses you're talking about get big bunches of little white flowers? If so, it's Rosa multiflora, and it's an exotic invader. They're actually native to China, Korea, and Japan, but they've taken over in the eastern half of the US. Like Kudzu, they were brought for erosion control (among other things) but liked their new home so much they just kinda took over. I've had many nasty run-ins with the thorns. Good luck with your eradication!

I can't really tell from your picture how much sun your rock garden area gets... but some ideas for a moss garden:

Golden Moss Sedum acre (Full sun)
Irish Moss Sagina subulata (Full sun, but tolerates light shade)
Scottish Moss Sagina subulata 'Aurea' (Full sun)
Peacock Spikemoss Selaginella uncinata (Partial shade)
Staghorn Clubmoss Lycopodium clavatum (Part to full shade)
Corsican Mint Mentha requienii (Part shade, but tolerates full sun)

I think you're probably in USDA zone 7 right? If so, all of the above are hardy in your area. Don't worry about the corsican mint becoming a pest. It's too small to survive without cultivation. Hope that helps give you some ideas for your moss garden!

faceking

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Will have to bookmark... as I have hundreds of roses on one bush alone due in a month... and 'wild' artichokes are starting come in. Zero clue how those show up, but they do.

karldergrosse

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
JoyBT: Much appreciate your thorough answers with beautiful photos!--will look into them. My rock-garden site doesn't get a lot of sun for very long each day, but more than my photo shows. We had a run of gray overcast for about a week, so I had to take photos regardless. -- Am thinking also of creeping phlox, both colors--do you like it?

Jeez, I'm not sure about the USDA zone, as dumb as that sounds. All I know is that we lie in the narrow middle band (east to west) of the three shown for the US.

In the meantime I've noticed a lovely gray moss that grows in Brillo-like pads on tree twigs. Will experiment to see whether I can successfully move some of it to strategic spots.

My mini-irises are now several inches tall, about their full height, but don't show signs of flowering yet because they are always late bloomers. For one thing, they want warmer weather than we've been having--and probably more sunlight, given our many days of rain and overcast.

Yep, you've nailed the roses right on the nose, to mix metaphors...described them perfectly. And I do need the luck--it's been a long (and often bloody, as you mention) battle. Another exotic that's extremely troublesome here is Japanese honeysuckle--also deadly to other vegetation...but with beautiful blossoms and swooningly sweet scent, especially on summer nights. It's especially difficult to eradicate because of its hardiness and my dogged resolve to pull it by hand--don't want to introduce herbicides into the environment. Then there's poison ivy, which I also pull by hand--wearing a mask because of its blistering volatile oil; but of course birds are constantly dropping seeds all over. You also mention kudzu, which I fortunately do not have--none within several miles, so far as I've seen. It's the worst killer of other plants, even huge trees, that I've ever run across. There are wide swaths of forest in this region that have been rendered desolate and erosion-prone by it, hanging in long, ugly ropes in the winter and concealing the skeletons in summer. But there's a new exotic killer that's just been here two or three years, at least on my property...and may become as devastating as kudzu. I call it strangler vine (nobody's been able to give me a name for it), since it acts much like tropical strangler fig: climbs and twines itself tightly around any stem or trunk, literally squeezing its victim like a boa constrictor...doesn't budge at all as the sapling grows. Can't describe it, really, though its leaves are very attractively shaped and a brightish green, its roots a light brick reddish. As with poison ivy, it's quite hardy and birds scatter it relentlessly. To continue my litany, there's the prolific herald of spring, which I believe is also an exotic. Can grow at least 12 or 15 feet high, spreads prolifically from seeds, and crowds out just about any other vegetation, including wildflowers...and sucks up the moisture of light rains with its shallow, wide-spreading roots before the water can sink into the ground. And finally, the wimply little wild onion...grows and spreads like the inedible weed that it is. I'll have to use a little targeted herbicide on them, or lose even the forest floor and its desirable flowers and vegetation to their pushy, almost carpet-solid numbers if left unchecked. Farmers hate it, by the way, because it spoils cows' milk when they feed on it.

Long-winded, I know. But I like to present my woes and to garner advice wherever I can find it. And find a great deal of it I did from you--thanks a million. Much appreciated!

BirdinMo

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
JoyBT: Much appreciate your thorough answers with beautiful photos!--will look into them. My rock-garden site doesn't get a lot of sun for very long each day, but more than my photo shows. We had a run of gray overcast for about a week, so I had to take photos regardless. -- Am thinking also of creeping phlox, both colors--do you like it?

Jeez, I'm not sure about the USDA zone, as dumb as that sounds. All I know is that we lie in the narrow middle band (east to west) of the three shown for the US.

In the meantime I've noticed a lovely gray moss that grows in Brillo-like pads on tree twigs. Will experiment to see whether I can successfully move some of it to strategic spots.

My mini-irises are now several inches tall, about their full height, but don't show signs of flowering yet because they are always late bloomers. For one thing, they want warmer weather than we've been having--and probably more sunlight, given our many days of rain and overcast.

Yep, you've nailed the roses right on the nose, to mix metaphors...described them perfectly. And I do need the luck--it's been a long (and often bloody, as you mention) battle. Another exotic that's extremely troublesome here is Japanese honeysuckle--also deadly to other vegetation...but with beautiful blossoms and swooningly sweet scent, especially on summer nights. It's especially difficult to eradicate because of its hardiness and my dogged resolve to pull it by hand--don't want to introduce herbicides into the environment. Then there's poison ivy, which I also pull by hand--wearing a mask because of its blistering volatile oil; but of course birds are constantly dropping seeds all over. You also mention kudzu, which I fortunately do not have--none within several miles, so far as I've seen. It's the worst killer of other plants, even huge trees, that I've ever run across. There are wide swaths of forest in this region that have been rendered desolate and erosion-prone by it, hanging in long, ugly ropes in the winter and concealing the skeletons in summer. But there's a new exotic killer that's just been here two or three years, at least on my property...and may become as devastating as kudzu. I call it strangler vine (nobody's been able to give me a name for it), since it acts much like tropical strangler fig: climbs and twines itself tightly around any stem or trunk, literally squeezing its victim like a boa constrictor...doesn't budge at all as the sapling grows. Can't describe it, really, though its leaves are very attractively shaped and a brightish green, its roots a light brick reddish. As with poison ivy, it's quite hardy and birds scatter it relentlessly. To continue my litany, there's the prolific herald of spring, which I believe is also an exotic. Can grow at least 12 or 15 feet high, spreads prolifically from seeds, and crowds out just about any other vegetation, including wildflowers...and sucks up the moisture of light rains with its shallow, wide-spreading roots before the water can sink into the ground. And finally, the wimply little wild onion...grows and spreads like the inedible weed that it is. I'll have to use a little targeted herbicide on them, or lose even the forest floor and its desirable flowers and vegetation to their pushy, almost carpet-solid numbers if left unchecked. Farmers hate it, by the way, because it spoils cows' milk when they feed on it.

Long-winded, I know. But I like to present my woes and to garner advice wherever I can find it. And find a great deal of it I did from you--thanks a million. Much appreciated!

I'm on my way to seach for a list of plants that might work for you, I will E-mail it to you in a bit. On the other hand creeping phlox is so beautiful! I think there are 3 colors, Purple. Pink and a blue-ish color. I have seen them at Wal-Mart here. Thinking of buying it but I don't know yet. On my way to search now.

AquaEyes11010

Expert Member
Media
New Brunswick (New Jersey, United States)
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Beautiful pics. I'm jealous if you're able to grow the "night-blooming cereus" outside year-round. Incidentally, while that's one of the common names for that plant, it's true Latin name is Epiphyllum oxypetalum. There is another plant whose genus is Cereus, and it is also a cactus, but an upright columnar type. It also has large white fragrant flowers that open at night, but the plant itself looks very different.

I'm going to be moving to Buffalo (USDA Zone 6) in June, so I'll be even further away from being able to grow that outside (I'm on Long Island now, USDA Zone 7). But it's one of the plants on my wish-list for inside. The plant is ugly enough to be interesting, and those huge fragrant flowers make growing the plant worth it. If anyone remembers an episode from Dennis the Menace where Mr. Wilson had a night-party to watch the bloom of a rare tropical plant open, the "star" of the occasion was this species. Gorgeous.
:)

This thread is a fine idea--thanks, BirdinMo and MickeyLee...!!!

Spring is pretty well advanced here now, but the dogwoods are a little slow to reach their full blossom; jonquils have been plentiful. I keep a good variety of flowers in beds and pots in the immediate yard and house: roses, peonies, camellias, hyacinths, columbine, Christmas cactus, portulaca, pansies, amaryllis, miniature lilies, airplane plant, hibiscus, bougainvillea, and a number of others. But what I like most is keeping my woods in a close-to-natural state, nurturing many indigenous plants and placing innocuous non-natives at strategic points.

(1) Grassy area with iris (and dogs).
(2) Yellow trillium.
(3) Night-blooming cereus.

joyboytoy79

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
OK, I'm gonna tackle this as much as possible. Maybe we need a gardening forum?

Love creeping phlox. It's another of those plant's that's too little to survive without cultivation, but with minimal care it does amazingly well. It's actually two different species with very similar habits - Phlox stolonifera and Phlox subulata. They actually come in 7 solid colours and endless bi, tri, and "splash" colour combinations. One of my faves is Phlox subulata 'Candy Stripe.' The flowers look like someone dropped little peppermint candies all over some lush moss.

A lot of people don't know their hardiness zone, and that hardly makes them dumb! There are many more than three hardiness zones for the US (11 of them, actually) and then each zone is broken down into 2 subzones, just to add more confusion. The Great Smokies straddle zones 6b and 7a. I suggest you take a look at the map i've included and estimate your zone from it. It's good info to have if you ever order plants from a catalog (and never order from catalogs that don't include hardiness information - they're not reliable):

USDA Hardiness zones for South Eastern US

Ahh, if it looks anything like this it's not a moss at all, but rather a lichen (which is a strange hybridization between fungus and algae). Here's a list of filamentous lichens in your area. That site doesn't show pictures, but you can google any of the names to find exactly which one you have. If you have lichens, it means your in an environmentally happy area, since lichens DO NOT tolerate polution.

Lichens are very fragile. I'd recomend you break off the twig it's attached to as gently as possible, and then tie that twig to the twig of a tree you want it on. If you're successfull, in a couple of years you'll have lichen colonizing the area where you introduced it.

Now the really fun part!

Yep, you've nailed the roses right on the nose, to mix metaphors...described them perfectly. And I do need the luck--it's been a long (and often bloody, as you mention) battle. Another exotic that's extremely troublesome here is Japanese honeysuckle--also deadly to other vegetation...but with beautiful blossoms and swooningly sweet scent, especially on summer nights. It's especially difficult to eradicate because of its hardiness and my dogged resolve to pull it by hand--don't want to introduce herbicides into the environment.

Multifloras are evil. This site has some very good recommendations for control. Just be very persistent, because it does take a long time to kill the bastards. As for the honeysuckle - it is a close relative of the native Coral Honeysuckle Lonicera sempervivens. If you have japanese honeysuckle, you may also have coral honeysuckle. They look the same until they bloom, and then you can tell the native one easily because it has longer, more trumpet shaped, and very noticibly coral orange flowers. It also smells nicer, IMHO.

Then there's poison ivy, which I also pull by hand--wearing a mask because of its blistering volatile oil; but of course birds are constantly dropping seeds all over. You also mention kudzu, which I fortunately do not have--none within several miles, so far as I've seen. It's the worst killer of other plants, even huge trees, that I've ever run across. There are wide swaths of forest in this region that have been rendered desolate and erosion-prone by it, hanging in long, ugly ropes in the winter and concealing the skeletons in summer. But there's a new exotic killer that's just been here two or three years, at least on my property...and may become as devastating as kudzu. I call it strangler vine (nobody's been able to give me a name for it), since it acts much like tropical strangler fig: climbs and twines itself tightly around any stem or trunk, literally squeezing its victim like a boa constrictor...doesn't budge at all as the sapling grows. Can't describe it, really, though its leaves are very attractively shaped and a brightish green, its roots a light brick reddish. As with poison ivy, it's quite hardy and birds scatter it relentlessly.

Poison Ivy is one of those double edged swords. Believe it or not, it's a native and ecologically important species. Definitely pull it out of any cultivated areas, and anywhere else you explore regularly. Just leave some in more wild areas so the birds and animals that rely on it can still have some food.

I'm glad you don't have Kudzu! We have some of it in our area, but it's at the very northern limit of its range, so the winters seem to keep it relatively in check. Still, i've seen a handful of trees that have been smothered.

I think the "strangler vine" you mention is probably Oriental Bittersweet Celastrus orbiculatus. It's well known for girdling trees. A lot of nurseries still sell it as an ornamental. It is kinda pretty, but it's habit of killing everything it comes in contact with is far from pretty. If that isn't it, this site has a list of exotic vines in your area:

SERAMBO - Exotic Species - Vines

To continue my litany, there's the prolific herald of spring, which I believe is also an exotic. Can grow at least 12 or 15 feet high, spreads prolifically from seeds, and crowds out just about any other vegetation, including wildflowers...and sucks up the moisture of light rains with its shallow, wide-spreading roots before the water can sink into the ground.

I'm clueless about this one. I've never heard of "herald of spring," and can't find any info on it anywhere. Do you have any pictures?

And finally, the wimply little wild onion...grows and spreads like the inedible weed that it is. I'll have to use a little targeted herbicide on them, or lose even the forest floor and its desirable flowers and vegetation to their pushy, almost carpet-solid numbers if left unchecked. Farmers hate it, by the way, because it spoils cows' milk when they feed on it.

Wild Onion Allium canadense is actually native. There's a myth about it being garden onions that reverted to their wild form and became a weedy pest - simply not true. Now, just because it's native doesn't mean it's good. By all means, get rid of what you can. It spreads like chives do, by making baby bulbs from old bulbs, hence the carpetlike habit. It needs too much light to make it in dense shade, so I wouldn't worry about it crowding out woodland wildflowers, but in dappled shade and full sun it's in hog heaven and can easily outcompete desired flowers. And yes, it does make cows milk taste like onion! YUCK!

OK, so, now that i've hijacked the thread.... let's get back to posting pictures of flowers/gardens!

quercusone

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
JoyBT:
Quercusone: Have you tried adding Indian Blanket to your other flowers for an extra dash of bright color? As I'm sure you know, they grow wild and in profusion over much of Central Texas, and seem pretty drought-resistant. Can't remember, but I'd think that they are to be found in the Dallas area?

I seeded Indian Blanket in part of my backyard and they looked great for 3 or 4 years. But then we had a severed drought...like we have every 5 years or so....and the Indian Blankets couldn't take it. And like I said, I don't water but maybe....and thats a big maybe.... once a year...in August. So no more Indian Blankets.

Right now I'm amending an area of my garden with lava sand and am going to plant an Ocotillo, Candelilla and Nolina that I bought when I was down in the Big bend area (Chihuahuan Desert) a couple of weeks ago.

Quercusone - would love to garden in a hot, dry climate. Would be cool growing loads of cactus, yucca, etc - stuff that looks cool but takes care of itself. Every bit as stunning to look at as traditional flowers, imo.

Joyboytoy79 - wow - u certainly seem to know yer onions, plant-wise!!! Have you ever been to the UK, to one of the big gardens or shows? (Chelsea & Hampton Court are cool - plus the Eden Project, and Heligan Gardens) :p

The tree outside my window is finally blooming, it's very beautiful, but means I am just days away from taking allergy medication.

Looks cool! Meant to comment on your first photo - looked very modern and urban cool :p I like the cityview.

joyboytoy79

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
The tree outside my window is finally blooming, it's very beautiful, but means I am just days away from taking allergy medication.

Ugh. Yes allergies suck. Loratadine and I have a rather intimate relationship when the pines start to drop pollen everywhere.

Looks like you have something hanging in your Bradfords.... underwear?

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Ugh. Yes allergies suck. Loratadine and I have a rather intimate relationship when the pines start to drop pollen everywhere.

Looks like you have something hanging in your Bradfords.... underwear?

Oh my I just noticed that, It's a plastic bag! Here is a better shot from the bedroom window.

Attachments

Last edited: