Garden Photos.

BigDallasDick8x6

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I'm a plant whore too. Buy, buy, buy!!! Then I come home and have nowhere to plant them. My neighbors see me circle the year, plant in hand, a dozen times looking for a space in any of the gardens to put one more thing. LOL

Here are some pics from previous years. Not a lot to see yet, even in Dallas (except the irises). The first one is a xeriscape corner where the sprinkler system just lightly covers.

The 2nd pic is from the day the garden club visited. The sailboat was filled with 360lbs of crushed ice (from eighteen 20lb bags) and used as the buffet table to keep the food cold on a summer day. After dark, a floodlight shining on the back of the sail made a dramatic effect and lit up the entertaining area. Martha, eat your heart out Baby!!!!

Attachments

midlifebear

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
We've got a tropical vine cactus with similar blossoms to those karldegrosse's night blooming cereus. It's an old German cultivar (circa 1900), cascades 2 meters from our second floor balcony to the first floor terrace and once a year (in about 6 weeks) it will explode with more than 1,000 blossoms over a period of three weeks. The blossoms are HUGE and brilliant scarlet. I wish I had a photo to share, but they are all stored on CD's somewhere. However, it blooms during the day and blossoms last two or three days.

BigDallasDick8x6

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
BigDallasDick, great garden...BTW you certainly know how to throw a party!

Thanks! Come visit me sometime -- wow will we have a party. Bring a bottle of baby oil.... :wink:

I haven't read this whole thread yet; I was planting all day because we are supposed to get rain tonight and tomorrow morning so I had to get ahead of that. I look forward to seeing everyone's pics tomorrow while I'm stuck inside.

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Thanks! Come visit me sometime -- wow will we have a party. Bring a bottle of baby oil.... :wink:

I haven't read this whole thread yet; I was planting all day because we are supposed to get rain tonight and tomorrow morning so I had to get ahead of that. I look forward to seeing everyone's pics tomorrow while I'm stuck inside.

Sounds like a great plan. Do you have a slip-n-slide?
/www.rockettube.com/watch/01a09085ef09c97da159/Oiled-Up-Slide

AquaEyes11010

Expert Member
Media
New Brunswick (New Jersey, United States)
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
It's probably another type of Epiphyllum cactus. They are commonly called (as a group) "orchid cactus" for their beautiful flowers. There are cultivated hybrids in many shades of red, orange, pink, yellow and combinations. These generally aren't fragrant. The white-based species and cultivars are, but they generally open at night (their pollinators are bats and moths). Do a google search for "Epiphyllum" and I'm sure you'll find some beauties that you might want to try. Logee's Greenhouse in the US has a few, including the "night blooming cereus" and another white-flowered species that is also fragrant but smaller and with interesting leaves.
:)

We've got a tropical vine cactus with similar blossoms to those karldegrosse's night blooming cereus. It's an old German cultivar (circa 1900), cascades 2 meters from our second floor balcony to the first floor terrace and once a year (in about 6 weeks) it will explode with more than 1,000 blossoms over a period of three weeks. The blossoms are HUGE and brilliant scarlet. I wish I had a photo to share, but they are all stored on CD's somewhere. However, it blooms during the day and blossoms last two or three days.

taken this morning

I like the texas species anisacanthus - looks like a cross between a honeysuckle and a fuschia lol.

I love the whole idea of using plants that are native to your area, and should therefore thrive. Also, I'm quite lazy and if you choose plants that suit your area it means you usually have to do sod-all to keep 'em alive :p

(lots of meadow cranesbill round here/ thrift - maritimus / ferns / heathers / valerian etc).

midlifebear

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
Although I was once an avid gardener, having torn out all the front lawn and strip along the road, tilling it all deep and planting excessively lush perennial, biennial, annual extravaganzas with huge blotches of color (none of that nice tidy flat of marigolds planted in a row for me crap), I've become more appreciative of natural deserts and their blooming cycles. In the sagebrush steppe the springs are stunning. My private driveway (1.5 miles) is carpeted on either side by naturally occurring "pinks", a dimorphous member of the dianthus (carnation) famility in pink and white. And the foothills are covered with sulphur-colored lupine native to only that part of the world. Sagitatta baslamoriza blooms profusely for about a month, mixed with globe mallow and on the high desert mountain ridges you have to be careful not to step on all of the bitteroot -- a wild flower that "just shows up" as if it is lying on the soil less rock (no leaves until after the bloom fades). Then the western scourge of cheet grass covers the foothills and low mountains with a light mauve color as its seed heads bloom and mature. Nasty plant, but pretty. The sagebrush finally takes over with new gray/green leaves and nothing much else happens until late August when brilliant green clumps of match week explode into screaming yellow blossoms that capture the alpen glow very well after sunset -- the sunlight hits overhead clouds and reflects upon the landscape after the sun has gone down.

But my favorite deserts are the Sonoran and Chihuahuan deserts. Ocotillo, a plant that otherwise looks like a loose clump of tall dead spine-covered branches is really very stunning. So much so that it's a common feature in many Las Vegas front yards as a architectural plant. It blooms early spring after heavy rains putting out miniature green leaves and scarlet blossoms, usually smaller than the spines. And to get a real sense of how beautiful the Sonoran desert and surrounding desert land is you really need a subscription to Arizona Highways, because the Painted Desert only come to life in a big way every 5 to 7 years. Therefore, most people miss it. And the Chihuahuan desert is remarkable for the giant varieties of opuntia cactus (and a few Organ Pipe-related cactus) that tower several meters from weathered and scarred trunks.

And when it comes to Texas, the world really needs to give a serious thank you to Lady Bird Johnson who created the Texas Wildflower Conservancy that spawned the careful appreciation of even the most dull red necked Texan about the wildflower movement making certain that all the highways and disturbed byways of Texas were reseeded with native Texas wild flowers, especially Bluebonnets (a variety of lupine) that distracts everyone's attention in mid spring throughout most of the hill country and as far west as Big Bend. It's definitely worth a flight to Austin or San Antonio around the end of March just to rent a car and glide along the wide Texas highways outside of the cities. Hell, even the sides of the freeways are spectacular during the right three or four weeks of spring. Sadly, the flash of color last only about a month, then Texas returns to . . . well, Texas.

AquaEyes11010: You were right on. It seems we're the proud owners of one of the biggest examples of Epiphyllum Ackermanii that has absolutely no rot or disease and hangs from our fifth floor balcony to our fourth floor terrace in the "gay" l'eixample neighborhood of Barçelona. Tourists stop across the street for at least three weeks and take photos of it. According to the California Cactus Club lady I met at the somewhat disappointing botanical garden here in Buenos Aires yesterday, it's probably a remnant of the original hybrid because we have no problems with it (no fungus, pests, or sun-scarring). Even more interesting is that our particular cactus is somewhat famous. She has seen it as well as scores of other "cactus freaks" who travel the world in groups just to look at odd and interesting cactus hybrids, all of which started originally in the Americas. She claims that the newer Epiphyllum hybrids that come in every color except blue tend to require a lot of attention and are prone to root rot. Still, I would like to get my hands on a copper-colored variety. Apparantly a north east exposure without too much sun is perfect for it. And to think we never water or otherwise fuss with the damn thing. It also blooms a second time in September, but only pops out 30 or 40 blossoms.

Last edited:

quercusone

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I like the texas species anisacanthus - looks like a cross between a honeysuckle and a fuschia lol.

I have some of those in my garden. It self seeds and so I dig up and pot the volunteers and give them away or plant them in other places.

And Bigdallasdick, I have many things blooming right now (Late march/ early april)....Engelmann Daisy, Cherry (autumn) Sage, Pink Guara, candytuft, Hinkley Colombines, Victoria Blue Salvia, yellow santolina, 4 nerve daisy, pink evening primrose, Texas Betony....all blooming like gangbusters right now.

BigDallasDick8x6

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
And Bigdallasdick, I have many things blooming right now (Late march/ early april)....Engelmann Daisy, Cherry (autumn) Sage, Pink Guara, candytuft, Hinkley Colombines, Victoria Blue Salvia, yellow santolina, 4 nerve daisy, pink evening primrose, Texas Betony....all blooming like gangbusters right now.

Sounds great! I was exaggerating when I said "nothing" blooming right now besides irises. I've also got blooming at the moment Raspberry Ripple autumn sage, Katy Road Pink rose, Cremoisi Superieur rose, an unknown red climber, New Dawn rose (a sport of Dr. Van Fleet and the first patented plant), Sombreuil rose, cymbidum orchid, yellow milkweed, blue salvia, 4 nerve daisy, white winecups, Margarita rosita and Margarita banana portulaca, Indian hawthorn, oxeye daisy, alfalfa (for the butterflies), the ubiquitious (in my yard) pink oxalis, etc. but they are all spread out and not bunched together where they would make a good picture so that's why I used an old one.

Have added a lot to my mint collection lately. I have spearmint, peppermint, orange mint, candy mint, chocolate mint, grapefruit mint, wintergreen, and my favorite -- red stemmed apple mint. This mint has both spearmint and peppermint oils as well as apple nuances and colorful red stems. I'm leaving some mints out but don't feel like going outside looking at tags at the moment. To keep them from being invasive (or even just growing together) I have them in clay pots partially sunk in the soil but tilted in, on small berms on each side of a garden pathway with stepping stones. So when you walk the path your ankles brush against the leaves and release the scent. In the shade I have pennyroyal between the stones, changing to varieties of thyme as it moves into the sun, so you walk on those as well as brushing the mint. Where the shade moves to part shade I have lemon balm on each side. Smells great to walk that path!

I recently planted a Charles Grimaldi brugmansia from Logee's at the end of that fragrant path where it terminates in my yellow and orange garden (I garden by color). Never grew this variety before but supposedly THE most fragrant of the brugs. Can't wait to see (and sniff). It will be quite a showstopper if it does what the pics show.

And! and! and!!! (I am very excited LOL).......I saw I really great idea to add to my Japanese garden. There was a large (24 inch?) shallow black bowl at Nicholson Hardie with planted with Scotch moss and Irish moss in the pattern of the yin and yang. The light green and dark green of these two plants worked perfectly for this. But being Nicholson Hardie they wanted $124. So I am making my own. Got a nice muted mustard yellow terra cotta bowl (20 inch) at Lowe's for $34. And the "moss" was $2.50 each and I only needed 3 of each color. A considerable savings.

Recently added a Meyer lemon (already had key lime) and the Mandarin orange trees were in bloom at Lowe's and smelled so wonderful I had to buy one. (Fragrances are a weakness). Also $34. Seems to be the magic number this week.

BigDallasDick8x6

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
MickeyLee and I talked about who would start this thread and decided I would. It is simple post a photo of your garden. This is after all the first day of Spring so it will be nice to see some garden photos. Mine is of my pond last summer. This thread is also going to help us think of new plants we might want to add into our garden as well. On behalf of MickeyLee and myself we thank you for interacting.

Gorgeous pond! Last year I discovered a new (to me) water plant called mosaic plant. Very attractive small diamond shaped leaves lying neatly on the water. Very tidy. I think you'd like it.

BigDallasDick8x6

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
They are native to south Texas and the Copper Canyon areas of Mexico. But they do great here in Dallas. I never water anything I plant and considering it will be 100 degrees (38 C) for 3 months, it takes a tough species. I plant natives almost exclusively.

Plus with Copper Canyon daisies, even the foliage is fragrant. Anyone who has never tried it must check it out!

BigDallasDick8x6

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
A moss garden!?!?! I love moss gardens! I have no shade for one or else thats what I would do.

Have you ever been to Fallingwater, Frank Lloyd Wright's masterpiece in Western PA? There is a large round planter that is an indoor/outdoor moss garden right in the middle of a glass wall. Very kewl.

BigDallasDick8x6

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I can't really tell from your picture how much sun your rock garden area gets... but some ideas for a moss garden:

Golden Moss Sedum acre (Full sun)
Irish Moss Sagina subulata (Full sun, but tolerates light shade)
Scottish Moss Sagina subulata 'Aurea' (Full sun)
Peacock Spikemoss Selaginella uncinata (Partial shade)
Staghorn Clubmoss Lycopodium clavatum (Part to full shade)
Corsican Mint Mentha requienii (Part shade, but tolerates full sun)

And to that EXCELLENT list I would add elfin thyme. Looks like Corsican mint in some ways, but is full sun.

I would definitely join a garden group on LPSG if you started one!

BirdinMo

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Have you ever been to Fallingwater, Frank Lloyd Wright's masterpiece in Western PA? There is a large round planter that is an indoor/outdoor moss garden right in the middle of a glass wall. Very kewl.
No I have never been, only been to AR, OK and Iowa. So sad I know. LOL. I will HAVE to look into that place though!

Gorgeous pond! Last year I discovered a new (to me) water plant called mosaic plant. Very attractive small diamond shaped leaves lying neatly on the water. Very tidy. I think you'd like it.
Thanks. I will be looking for that plant as soon as I find water plants for sale. Sounds lovly!

BigDallasDick8x6

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
This is what is great about people who garden. 100 posts now in this thread and no one has called anyone else "stupid" (or worse), no fights or hissy fits. No one getting all defensive over an innocent comment. Wouldn't it be great if everyone in the world was like gardeners? :wink:

Garcia guy -- Love the orchid, but that red ginger is a knockout. Wow. Is it fragrant? What else I love about Puerto Rico is that some people have Poinsettia hedges (!) surrounding their property. Also the flamboyant tree and the rainforest in El Yunque. Gorgeous.

Midlifebear -- How about a pic of that balcony cactus??

Nick4444 -- You should open a botanical garden with that great collection.

Quercusone -- Let's some pics of your native/xeriscape garden here in Dallas! I'm all for less watering. I spend way too much on water.

Great work, everybody! "Gardeners have bigger stalks." LOL