Garlic Salt (and Onion Salt)

faceking

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Ok.. I've got my quiver of 30 or so spices that I deftly leverage...like Clint Eastwood in a Fistful of Dollars... as company shows up... you read the moods, the vibes, the palettes... instinct... it happens, somehow.

But someone, please tell me ...

How the F do you keep Garlic Salt and Onion Salt from solidifying....

Nothing worse, then reaching into your "spice holster" and having to stop and clean out the barrel.. and thusly not get a nice sprinkle of exactly what's needed, vs... the time & effort needed to chisel off a portion and dump into the ____________ thereof.

Explain. Discuss. Don't Deny. Solve. Share.

The Dragon

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
You pop the lid off them and put an ounce of uncooked rice grains in with it and shake it up..the rice absorbs the moisture and keeps it running freely..you can also do this with plain salt.

JustAsking

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Face,
Get real garlic and onions. Really. You can always find them in the grocery store. I don't even bake cookies without real garlic and olive oil.

HazelGod

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Ok.. I've got my quiver of 30 or so spices that I deftly leverage...like Clint Eastwood in a Fistful of Dollars... as company shows up... you read the moods, the vibes, the palettes... instinct... it happens, somehow.

But someone, please tell me ...

How the F do you keep Garlic Salt and Onion Salt from solidifying....

Nothing worse, then reaching into your "spice holster" and having to stop and clean out the barrel.. and thusly not get a nice sprinkle of exactly what's needed, vs... the time & effort needed to chisel off a portion and dump into the ____________ thereof.

Explain. Discuss. Don't Deny. Solve. Share.

Did you consider asking your boyfriend?

faceking

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Face,
Get real garlic and onions. Really. You can always find them in the grocery store. I don't even bake cookies without real garlic and olive oil.

No no.. point well taken.. but believe you me.. I live literally 75 miles from the Garlic Capital...but in the heat of the moment..

and to the other knock.. when you want to "hide" a bit of onion taste...

A sprinkling is good... ESPECIALLY when you can't do chopped bits in _______.

faceking

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
You put garlic in your cookies?? Ew. :cool:

Sweetness... have you you ever had Garlic Ice Cream???

[disclosure: I have .. and fucking sucks beyond belief, but feels somewhat braggadocio to say I have...]

You can't believe...................... BELIEVE what garlic is put into, and actually sold... Gilroy Garlic Festival

[more disclosure: I dated the runner up to Miss Garlic (somewhere in the early 90's... which they've apparently discontinued)... and no her breath was fine, but the hair was bad... but whom didn't in '91???]

faceking

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Face,

Speaking of... I cook Indian food quite regularly.. and I have found onion salt (even in dishes comprised of cooked/stewed onions).... might benefit from that thick almost gooey onion.. sprinkle after.. works wonders. ...

For instance... although I'm an intermediate Indian cook....I (rarely) try stewing a cod (or any whitefish) amidst a boiled tamarind... pulp it... then pulp it again with onion, more tamarind, onion, and tumeric...

but frankly.... fail... and the process leaves it bland, and I'm not about to go haywire and throw crap in for the sake of it... and go for a little bit of make up, without the overpowering of fresh California onion oil and juices... spo amidst a simmer of chiles, light cream, and slabber o lime... throwing in juicy onions is just bush league.... so a sprinkle minutes before serving proves a point well taken.,

Funk, I'm hungry... who's up for some Lamb Vindaloo.... I'm buying... but will be around 2AM PST...

Northland

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Place 2 wooden toothpicks inside the container. The salt is the main item solidifying from moisture in the air. I have garlic powder and onion powder on hand for those moments when I've run short on the actual items and don't have time to run and get more. I have never had either garlic powder or onion powder start clumping together, my salt does not clump as long as I keep those 2 trusty toothpicks in there (or a clarinet reed- use something wooden which absorbs moisture).

I do not use garlic-salt since a look at ingredients shows it is actually salt with a pinch of garlic and a taste reveals that is mostly salt. Same holds true of Pepper-salt and some vile concoction labeled as hamburger seasoning-it was salt, onion, paprika, pepper and a couple of other items. Mostly salt, the salt was not listed underneath the words hamburger seasoning-that part showed only the other ingredients. Turning the jar to the ingredients, there was Salt first in line. Read all your labels, salt lurks everywhere-rarely is it something which needs to be added.

9incut

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Garlic can be used for a lot of different flavors. I have heard of garlic in cookies and ice cream. I love garlic, but dont think i would try those.

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I know it's unlikely that the OP will read this, but for the rest of you:

Keep the lid tightly closed on all seasonings, never leave them open any longer than it takes to use the desired amount, and most important: Never ever sprinkle directly from the container into hot food. If you have to, sprinkle a bit into your hand, and toss into the cooking container. The steam rising from a simmering dish is what destroys the flavor and texture of spices and seasonings, and causes garlic or onion powder to clump.

I have taken to mixing my own "seasoned salt" blends. Most of the off-the-shelf brands have way too much salt and not nearly enough flavor.