gas prices

Shelby

Experimental Member
Media
If it really is a war for oil, I'm wondering if maybe we shouldn't kick it up a notch or two. I realize we still pay less than most of the folks across the pond, but I'm not used to it.

I'm about ready to dust off my bicycle.

Shelby

Experimental Member
Media
Originally posted by TexAssgirl@Apr 27 2005, 06:48 PM
naw, I say we just drill in Alaska. Hell, we can now clone any species that we might harm anyway....ha/ha
[post=305438]Quoted post[/post]​

You're hot and funny. Damn.

madame_zora

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Originally posted by TexAssgirl@Apr 27 2005, 06:48 PM
naw, I say we just drill in Alaska. Hell, we can now clone any species that we might harm anyway....ha/ha

I'd be up for that more if we had any reason to believe there was enough there to get us beyond six months' supply. I think there are better approaches to negotiating with the Saudis than kissing their asses, but that's just me.

D_Barbi_Queue

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Ha ha...actually, I think I read somewhere that even if we did tap into Alaska, it wouldn't be available to us for about 10 years. Hopefully by then we won't depend so much on oil.

Pappy

Media
Originally posted by big_14@Apr 27 2005, 02:51 PM
Hey, well i think this could be a good thing gas prices going up in the USA and around North America. the reason is because their is so much waste in the average North Americans day, this could help people to be better with their energy and resoures. Also this my curtail the rise in the sales of 12 mpg monster S.U.Vs, Trucks and such big vehicles. remember, the resources being used today will run out soon. this will lead to problems for my generation (i am now 15) so by consuming at this rate we WILL run out of oil before the end of the century, this means no plastics and rubbers, take a look around you and look at all the things that are made of rubber and plastic, cause those things might no be made for much longer, so enjoy our wasteful North American life of excessive waste for now, but my generation will have to look for new ways of living and making things we need including alot of medical equipment that wont be available to us, our children, and even You. if you want to preserve a good quality of life for your children, and future generations reduce the waste in your life because we use about 7 times more energy per capita then in most european nations.
[post=305462]Quoted post[/post]​

While I do agree that we all need to cut back, I don't blame it on soley on the people of North America or the American Auto Industry. They're not the ones building two seater vehicles with V-12 engines. We do have a couple of American vehicles that have V-10 engines and one proto-type that is a V16, but those are in the shadows compared to all the Eruropean vehicles that have the monstrous V-12's in them. You mentioned ths SUV's only getting 12 mpg, what about the European V-8 vehicles that only get 12-15 mpg?? Or the two seater V-12's that get even less. Do your home work before you start laying blame on one country and it's lifestyles.

As far as crude oil goes, why not just un-cap the capped wells here in the states and use what is being held in "reserve" for future generations?? We supposedly have a 100 year "reserve" in the ground here in the states, why not use it to force OPEC to lower their prices??

This is not meant to be a "flame" directed toward anyone, it's just my 2 cents.

rich_cabeza2002

Experimental Member
Media
We definately need to find alternate sources for fuel. We also need to make them affordable and if we can clean. I don't think this is a war specifically for oil,but if we weren't so dependent on oil, we wouldn't be so quick to but our nose in.

carolinacurious:
Ha ha...actually, I think I read somewhere that even if we did tap into Alaska, it wouldn't be available to us for about 10 years. Hopefully by then we won't depend so much on oil.

Yes it's a good thing we have such a forward thinking administration that is exploring ways to cut our dependence on oil. I wonder what sort of miracle people think is going to just magically appear to save our asses when we know we have a crisis coming and rather than do anything about it, we just build (and buy!) bigger cars.

While I do agree that we all need to cut back, I don't blame it on soley on the people of North America or the American Auto Industry. They're not the ones building two seater vehicles with V-12 engines. We do have a couple of American vehicles that have V-10 engines and one proto-type that is a V16, but those are in the shadows compared to all the Eruropean vehicles that have the monstrous V-12's in them. You mentioned ths SUV's only getting 12 mpg, what about the European V-8 vehicles that only get 12-15 mpg?? Or the two seater V-12's that get even less. Do your home work before you start laying blame on one country and it's lifestyles.

C'mon, while you do have a point and I do get a little frustrated with friends who bitch about SUV's and don't process that a Porsche is really about the same (or worse), let's be realistic about the numbers. Half the vehicles on the road in the US are SUV's or trucks do you really think that there are anywhere near that number of Europeans driving around V-12 uber-expensive uber-vehicles? Many of which are made by American owned companies!?

As far as crude oil goes, why not just un-cap the capped wells here in the states and use what is being held in "reserve" for future generations?? We supposedly have a 100 year "reserve" in the ground here in the states, why not use it to force OPEC to lower their prices??

It's complex economically, (and I don't agree with destroying other countries for their oil) but (the economist in me says) we are fools to use our own oil while others are willing to sell theirs at anything near a reasonable price.

Personally, I can't afford any more of the current administration's efforts to stabilize energy prices.

Pecker

Retired Moderator
Media
All the oil in the world isn't going to make a bit of difference: not as long as U.S. refineries are at full capacity as they are now.

If you think efforts to drill in Alaska's wilderness has brought protests, just wait until somebody proposes building more refineries!

(If we were to switch to total ethanol, would there be wars for corn?)

D_Barbi_Queue

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
That's it, I'm moving to Iowa or Ohio and starting to hord corn!

CC - Thank you for bringing up the fact that SUVs aren't the only gas guzzlers out there. You hardly ever hear about people bitching about the other vehicles, when in fact some of the trucks and luxury cars are the worst.

The luxury sport import Ferrari 500 Maranello was the biggest guzzler (8 city and 13 highway) followed by the Lamborghini Diablo (10 city, 13 highway).
source -Don't even get me started on planes (especially military jets that "dump" fuel for various flying reasons.)

Granted, SUVs still suck and there are still a lot of people buying them. We used to have a Pathfinder until last year and now we have a minivan. We only have a bigger vehicle b/c of the size of our family and the amount of traveling we do. I'm waiting for the day when they finally make a hybrid minivan (which I think is just around the corner).

What actually pisses me off is that many years ago, I think like 20ish, we've had this technology to make more fuel economical cars but it had always been shot down b/c of political reasons. We should have jumped on it then and gotten ahead of it all instead of waiting to be forced into using the technology.

Dr Rock

Experimental Member
Media
who lives in the east 'neath the willow tree? Sex
Sexuality
Unsure
Originally posted by TexAssgirl@Apr 28 2005, 01:36 AM
Don't even get me started on planes (especially military jets that "dump" fuel for various flying reasons.)
[post=305585]Quoted post[/post]​
I'm not aware of any non-emergency procedures that involve dumping fuel. auxiliary tanks are usually designed to be jettisoned when they're empty, but I've never heard of it being done when they're not.

D_Barbi_Queue

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Yup, they do. My husband was a pilot for the navy for about 8ish years. One of the reasons would be to lighten the load if they took off for a long trip and would be weighted down too much. Apparently the weight would effect their flying or some crap like that.

carolinacurious:
Originally posted by TexAssgirl@Apr 27 2005, 06:36 PM
CC - Thank you for bringing up the fact that SUVs aren't the only gas guzzlers out there. You hardly ever hear about people bitching about the other vehicles, when in fact some of the trucks and luxury cars are the worst.

The luxury sport import Ferrari 500 Maranello was the biggest guzzler (8 city and 13 highway) followed by the Lamborghini Diablo (10 city, 13 highway).
source -Don't even get me started on planes (especially military jets that "dump" fuel for various flying reasons.)

Actually, (thanks though) that honor goes to Pappy.

Comparisons: http://www.maserati.org.au/notebook/MASERA...spg34_0501.html

Major market sales in 2000 (to the final customer)
Ferrari
1. USA-Canada 1,111
2. Germany 608
3. UK 462
4. Italy 418
5. Japan 277
6. Switzerland 231
7. France 199
8. Belgium 1059. Spain 84
10. Australia/New Zealand 75

Maserati
1. Germany 461
2. UK 331
3. Italy 272
4. Japan 160
5. Switzerland 168
6. France 132
7. Australia/NewZealand 64
8. Belgium 57
9. Spain 45

Total units sold worldwide: 6,099 (Ferrari 4,072, Maserati 2,027)

Calendar Year 2000 US Sales Highlights

Ford Motor Company set an all-time record with U.S. sales of 4,202,820 eclipsing the mark of 4,163,369 that was set last year.

Ford was the best-selling brand of cars and trucks in America, as it has been for the last 14 years, with record sales of 3,469,596. The previous record (3,425,086) was set last year.

Jaguar set a new U.S. sales record in 2000 as 43,728 new customers elected to experience 'the art of performance'. Jaguar's previous sales record (35,039) was set last year.

Volvo also had a record year in 2000 as U.S. sales climbed to 123,178. The previous record (116,692) was set in 1999.

Lincoln, the essence of American luxury, achieved its highest sales year since 1990 as 2000 sales climbed nine percent to 193,009.

Among individual products were these highlights:

The Ford F-Series pickup was America's best-selling vehicle, car or truck, for the 19th year in a row and achieved record sales of 876,716. The previous record (869,001) was set last year. The Ford F-Series and the Ford Ranger, which is America's best-selling compact pickup, combine to make Ford the best selling brand of pickups in America.

The Ford Explorer was America's best-selling sport utility vehicle for the 10th year in a row and achieved record sales of 445,157. The previous record (431,488) was set in 1998.

Ford dealers outfitted a record number of U.S. customers with "No Boundaries" sport utility vehicles. In 2000, combined sales for the Ford Escape, Explorer, Expedition, and Excursion were 752,061 - breaking the record (680,212) that was set last year. Ford is America's best-selling brand of sport utility vehicles.

What actually pisses me off is that many years ago, I think like 20ish, we've had this technology to make more fuel economical cars but it had always been shot down b/c of political reasons.

My 1984 Honda CRX, EPA rated 55mpg highway. We haven't come very far, have we?

Pappy

Media
Originally posted by Dr Rock+Apr 27 2005, 08:46 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Dr Rock &#064; Apr 27 2005, 08:46 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-TexAssgirl@Apr 28 2005, 01:36 AM
Don&#39;t even get me started on planes (especially military jets that "dump" fuel for various flying reasons.)
I&#39;m not aware of any non-emergency procedures that involve dumping fuel. auxiliary tanks are usually designed to be jettisoned when they&#39;re empty, but I&#39;ve never heard of it being done when they&#39;re not.
[post=305593]Quoted post[/post]​
[/b][/quote]

TAG is right Rock, especially when it comes to carrier landings. The pilots are only allowed to have enough fuel for one more pass when they attempt to land on a carrier. The reason being that if they crash then the flight deck personnel won&#39;t have to fight a fuel fire. Ditching the plane if they fail after the second pass is cheaper than letting them crash and burn on the flight deck. They&#39;re also not allowed to land with any live munitions.

jonb

Sexy Member
Media
Originally posted by TexAssgirl@Apr 27 2005, 10:48 AM
Actually, there isn&#39;t that much oil in Alaska. It could fuel the U.S. for 500 days. It would take 30 years to extract it all.

jonb

Sexy Member
Media
Originally posted by madame_zora+Apr 27 2005, 11:07 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(madame_zora &#064; Apr 27 2005, 11:07 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-TexAssgirl@Apr 27 2005, 06:48 PM
naw, I say we just drill in Alaska.  Hell, we can now clone any species that we might harm anyway....ha/ha

I&#39;d be up for that more if we had any reason to believe there was enough there to get us beyond six months&#39; supply. I think there are better approaches to negotiating with the Saudis than kissing their asses, but that&#39;s just me.
[post=305446]Quoted post[/post]​
[/b][/quote]
We COULD bomb them for financing Al Qaida rather than just turn Osama bin Ladin into Emmanuel Goldstein.

madame_zora

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Ha&#33; That&#39;s pretty damned funny, I&#39;m going to have to knock the dust off of that, we do seem to be in a rather Orwellian situation here. I would have said Kaiser Soze.

blackwood

1st Like
Media
Originally posted by jonb+Apr 28 2005, 03:41 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jonb &#064; Apr 28 2005, 03:41 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Originally posted by madame_zora@Apr 27 2005, 11:07 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-TexAssgirl
@Apr 27 2005, 06:48 PM
naw, I say we just drill in Alaska.  Hell, we can now clone any species that we might harm anyway....ha/ha

I&#39;d be up for that more if we had any reason to believe there was enough there to get us beyond six months&#39; supply. I think there are better approaches to negotiating with the Saudis than kissing their asses, but that&#39;s just me.
[post=305446]Quoted post[/post]​
We COULD bomb them for financing Al Qaida rather than just turn Osama bin Ladin into Emmanuel Goldstein.
[post=305642]Quoted post[/post]​
[/b][/quote]

madame_zora

There was a comment on the news (within the past week) to the effect, "since the main shipping port for oil is on the West Coast of Alaska the oil is slated to go to Japan???" That helps us right?

b;ackwood