gas prices

jonb

Sexy Member
Media
Speaking of the navy, they've introduced another destroyer. It was originally inteded to be faster and maneuverable, but they added so many guns to it that now it handles like a turtle on its back.

KinkGuy

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Originally posted by blackwood@Apr 28 2005, 02:46 AM
There was a comment on the news (within the past week) to the effect, "since the main shipping port for oil is on the West Coast of Alaska the oil is slated to go to Japan???" That helps us right?
b;ackwood
[post=305713]Quoted post[/post]​

Oddly enough....or whatever, the majority of the oil out of the Alaskan pipeline goes to Japan now. The crude is too heavy for our refineries. Then guess what, we buy the shit back.

Dr Rock

Experimental Member
Media
who lives in the east 'neath the willow tree? Sex
Sexuality
Unsure
Originally posted by jonb@Apr 28 2005, 11:24 PM
Speaking of the navy, they've introduced another destroyer. It was originally inteded to be faster and maneuverable, but they added so many guns to it that now it handles like a turtle on its back.
[post=305938]Quoted post[/post]​
is that the new "land attack destroyer"? (I know, it's a silly name, but "imperial gunboat" was clearly a bit too obvious). as far as I know only the DD-21 and DD(X) are in development, and I was pretty sure they were both missile boats, but I could be wrong. it'd be weird even by navy standards to build a destroyer with heavy guns.

iwfuutaudls: The whole oil problem is really alot more complex than any of us could understand. Unfortunately, it is also alot more complex than Bush could ever possibly begin to comprehend. Frank Herbert is perhaps the only person who fully understood oil and its effect on global politics.

Tangent: plastics and rubber can be, and are, synthesized without the use of crude oil. It is only the cheap and widely available plastics and rubbers that are manufactured using crude oil. Since our technology enables us to create special rubbers and special plastics which far out-perform conventional ones without the use of crude oil, it is safe to say that, once we do run out of crude oil, we will manufacture conventional plastics and rubbers at a somewhat increased cost but will, none-the-less, still have them available to us as a commodity.

Tangent: BMW is currently selling Hydrogen Powered vehicles everywhere in the world - except North America. For the model year of 2005, BMW has made both the 745 and the 760 sedans capable of running on both conventional gasoline and on hydrogen gas - the method of combustion can be switched from one to the other while the engine is still running. They plan on releasing the 5 series with the same configuration in 2 to 3 years. However, there are no plans as of yet to bring these vehicles to the North American shores.

Tangent: General Motors Corporation along with Shell Corporation have signed an agreement in which Shell is to retrofit all of its gas stations to support and provide hydrogen fuel. GM is to simultaneously build Hydrogen Powered economy vehicles. This contract, unfortunately, does not have a deadline which means that Shell and GM will not roll out Hydrogen Power as a commodity until a decade from now.

Tangent: It is possibly, and very do-able, to retrofit any and all current internal combustion engines to run on Ethanol. There are kits available and any A+ certified mechanic should be able to successfully install these kits. I have seen people who have turned 80's camaros into Ethanol running cars. These vehicles are not only much more powerfull but much, much, cleaner burning. The problem: who the fuck is going to grow and distill billions of gallons of Ethanol for an affordable price? Not the liquor companies! They love charging us 40 dollars for a 750ml bottle of scotch (which is only 40% alc. by volume).

willie

Just Browsing
Media
There is a much easier trick. Diesel engines will run, without modification on vegetable oil, which is a crop, so there are no net emissions.

However the UK customs and excise take a very dim view, of people running their cars on waste cooking oil from restaurants.
The oil companies are also not keep, so they are now paying lip service by selling ego-diesel, which is 5% vegetable oil. Great.

jonb

Sexy Member
Media
Originally posted by Dr Rock@Apr 28 2005, 05:16 PM
is that the new "land attack destroyer"? (I know, it's a silly name, but "imperial gunboat" was clearly a bit too obvious). as far as I know only the DD-21 and DD(X) are in development, and I was pretty sure they were both missile boats, but I could be wrong. it'd be weird even by navy standards to build a destroyer with heavy guns.
[post=305988]Quoted post[/post]​
You're not wrong. Destroyers are supposed to be small, fast, and maneuverable. Too many guns weighs them down, thus defeating the purpose.

Sadly, the military is known for wasting tons of money on projects which don't work.