gas prices

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Mensch1351, Mar 6, 2011.

1. Mensch1351

Gold Member

In the only other State that begins with "K"!
    would be very interested to hear what you guys are paying for gas these days!! Here in Kansas City, we go to the Missouri side because their prices are cheaper (lower gas taxes) by about 6-8 cents per gallon. Our Price Chopper grocery stores also apply your purchase "cash back" by offering gas discounts (I got a 25 cent per gallon discount the last time I filled up) Current price -- $3.37 per gallon!

Be very interested to see what the oil companies will post in profits after the first quarter!:wink::rolleyes:

2. vince

Gold Member

Albums:
    $9.70 USD/gallon for 97 octane. Diesel for the truck is about 10.20$

3. kyberneticka

kyberneticka Member

Albums:
    I paid $3.90 yesterday.

4. MNGuy

MNGuy Member

Albums:
    I don't Americans should complain about the price of gasoline. We get it for significantly less than most of the world.

5. hypoc8

hypoc8 Member

Last tank I bought I paid $3.19\gallon. Jumped to $3.32\gallon overnight.

6. lucky8

Gold Member

We also use it significantly more than most of the world...

7. alx

alx
    Gold Member

Fuel is expensive in the UK, national average is £5.85/$9.51 a gallon. My local garage is slightly higher however. I almost cry filling up my little 1.2ltr punto.

I know Americans do more miles generally but why drive around in such uneconomical cars wasting away the worlds fuel.

8. parr

parr New Member

I just paid 3.55/gal.

9. B_nyvin

B_nyvin New Member

3.51 at the gas station down the street

10. unabear09

Gold Member

Albums:
    lowest I've seen it here is $3.37/gal and the highest (the majority of the gas stations) @ $3.44

11. lpsg17

Gold Member

3.51 chicago

12. AlextheRedhead

Gold Member

Albums:
    WOW :eek5:
    97 octane
    We are paying $4.00 and over for premium in Los Angeles but thats only for 91 octane

97 would make my car run like a rocket :party2::biglaugh::drive::drive::slomo:

13. JacobFox

JacobFox Member

Albums:

Because that is what they make available to us. I mean, at least some of us would love to have the cars with the better fuel economy but they are either not available here and many of us are way too broke to afford them. I would love to have had a better car, but I had to drive an old Ford Mustang that got crappy gas mileage because I had to get to school and couldn't afford anything else.

But to answer the question, in Chicago, I have seen some around $4.05 today. Many times I just prefer taking the bus.

#13 JacobFox, Mar 6, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2011
  14. JacobFox

JacobFox Member

Albums:
    I should add, I am only defending some of us. Many, with the money to buy cars with excellent gas mileage, prefer to buy huge SUVs because they feel a need to have something big in their life.

15. DaveyR

DaveyR Retired Moderator
    Gold Member

Tell me about it :rolleyes: Until this week I was travelling a lot of miles each way to work and back. I have a car that gives me pretty good consumption but my costs on average were about £100 a week for fuel. I got transferred to a branch only a few miles from home and am averaging about £10 a week now.

The cost of petrol seems to spiral week in and week out and we seem to just shrug it off. It's time we all kicked up a fuss again like happened a few years back. I know the cost of crude has increased but what we pay in duty in the UK in fuel is getting out of control. It happens because we allow it to. :rolleyes:

16. Mensch1351

Gold Member

In the only other State that begins with "K"!
    hmmmmmmmm let's see. 10 gallons at $3.50 per gallon is ONLY $35.00 -- and just how many hours at miniumum wage is that???? Even if you make $10.00 an hour --- that's 3 1/2 hours of work JUST to fill your tank to GET to work! I guess that leaves 36 1/2 hours to pay for everything else (unless you fill up MORE than once a week!)

I think Americans have EVERY right to complain when their pocketbooks are being "gouged" for something that we have VERY little choice NOT to purchase & use!

17. JacobFox

JacobFox Member

Albums:

You are 100% correct

18. FuzzyKen

FuzzyKen New Member

The current gasoline prices are being driven not by any shortage at all. There has been no actual reduction in importation of oil to the United States. It has been driven by oil speculators influencing the prices based on what "might happen". Basically this is an "Enron" type affair and politicians refuse to address it because the oil companies are plowing millions into political campaigns that ignore this. Most of the oil imported by the United States does not originate in the Middle East. Most U.S. oil imports originate in Canada.

Most countries where fuel prices are extremely high have very different structures economically than the United States.

Let me give a little food for thought:

Gallon of milk $6.75
    Single person lunch at McDonalds $15.00
    A Delivered Dominos Pizza $30.00
    A Replacement Car battery $400.00
    A Replacemenet base level tire for the average car $400.00

If within United States Borders we were to achieve and maintain $6.00 per gallon fuel prices for 18 months it does not take a genius to realize that the prices for every single consumer item we buy would be very heavily affected.

The milk would go sky high because petrochemicals are used in the making of the plastic container in which the milk is sold and because that milk has multiple levels of transportation in various forms of diesel trucks before it hits your store shelf.

The cases of wet cell batteries again use large amounts of petrochemicals in their manufacture. Now before anyone talks about recycling give me a break. I used to receive $3-$5 for an old battery core. They now charge a disposal fee requiring me to pay extra before it is recycled rather than paying me to recycle it. Again thank your politicians for this stuff and it ain't the Dem's on this one.

The manufacture of automobile tires again requires large quantities of petrochemicals and those prices would again skyrocket.

Most who are not familiar with the transportation business do not understand how the costs of the business factor in.

The purchase of one single tire for an 18-wheeler is currently about $350.00 on average. That tire will last about 80,000 miles. Considering that the average 18-wheeler travels about 220,000 miles per year we are talking a considerable chunk of change when one has to spend over $6,500 each time. Because of your safety, many types of trucks under I.C.C. regulations are not allowed by law to run recapped tires and they are not allowed to re-grove tires either.

Railroad locomotives run on diesel fuel. They buy a very low grade diesel which would not be fit for most over the road applications, but considering that most freights require 3-5 locomotives to transport a single "run" if their fuel doubled in price everything on that train is going to double in price too!

Consider a base airline ticket at $2,000 because if you allow fuel to escalate as some here are talking about without major structure changes this is what you are going to have. I guess there are a lot of people who never want to take another vacation ever again.

Let's see:

My crystal ball sees:

Unemployment easily 30% with some industries being wiped out completely inside U.S. Borders.

Food even basics totally unaffordable for most American Families.

Average electric bills running in the $600-700 range per month because most utilities now use peaker power plants fed by natural gas which is also tied to oil markets.

Propane to heat your home in the winter $15.00 per gallon because you pay an inflated price for the propane and then the guy who delivers that propane to your tank has to fill the diesel tank in the delivery truck, buy tires, buy batteries and other things.

Home fuel oil prices doubling will cost lives in colder parts of the country because the cost of heating a home in the northern U.S. would be beyond the means of most.

How many of you are still delusional with regards to the fallacy of "sub prime mortgages"? That is a falsehood that for the most part never happened. What happened was that we had the last energy mess and people who had to commute were placed in red ink because of doing something right.

Most of those I know personally losing homes had been in those homes 20 or more years and they lived in the suburbs commuting distances to work because they could not afford or qualify for home loans near their work. They had to go to the outlying areas where the real estate prices were cheaper.

Right now in Los Angeles you can get a real bargain. You can buy an 80 year old 2 bedroom 1 bath home and easily pay $750,000 for it. Either way you are per se screwed. You either pay it to Chevron or to the "bank" and in California on the $9,375 per year property tax bill you are going to pay to own that home and that does not even include City taxes or services.

Yes, you can move to Palm Springs where the home prices are falling like rocks, but, whoops, that wont work either. There are no jobs because that area has a tourist based economy and the only jobs are service related.

The single largest influence on the collapsing U.S. economy from the beginning has been decades of failed energy policy.

Oil Companies and their lobbys have worked very hard to keep economical diesel powered vehicles out of the hands of Americans and they are still working hard to do so.
    The cost of refining diesel fuel is far less than the cost of the refining of gasoline and you are paying a premium for diesel simply because the oil companies do not want to see cars like the 48-50mpg Volkswagen TDI selling well. They have also changed fuel formulations to reduce fuel mileage significantly. They say it is for "air pollution" but this is simply a "scape goat".

I had this proven to me very graphically. California has always been one of the most anti-pollution oriented States of the 50. California was the first to go from standard formulation of unleaded gasoline to a formulation using MTBE. At the time I had and used in business a Chevrolet 1 ton dually with a 5.7L 350 gasoline engine. That truck in my usage averaged 11-12 miles per gallon. When the formulation changed to one with the low pollution MTBE additive the mileage on that truck under exactly the same conditions dropped from 11-12 down to 8.5. I also started having numerous problems with the fuel system of that truck and it increased my repair rate on that vehicle by about 25%. It was then discovered that the MTBE additive was creating a type of pollution that was worse than the standard fuel. The solution was to then blend in a type of alcohol. This "new" bled dropped the mileage on that truck down from 8.5 to the 7 mpg area. My repairs again went up and the bi-anual smog inspection had an average bill of $800. It magically cost me $800 every two years for my vehicle to pass the inspection after their new low emissions fuel and every two years numerous parts seemed to require replacement which were attributed to the new fuel by the repair centers. My fuel mileage dropped by what 35%? and I burned a ton more fuel to clean the air?

The United States is has some new words: "Of the Corporation, by the Corporation and the Corporation shall not perish from this earth." They are now buying our politicians and as we all go broke the corporate profits for many of these giants soar. In the worst economy since the 1929 depression certain corporate entities have posted record profits, doesn't this tell you something? These corporations have done this while the standard of living for the average American has declined by as much as 50%.

Right now there is an assault on labor unions. In all reality people who profits from the elimination of labor unions? Do you personally as a citizen of the United States gain anything from it? What you are seeing are a bunch of bought and paid for's trying to boost corporate profits for the wealthiest even more. A full 90% of all Americans will see no benefit and in fact their lives will decline greatly if union busting becomes the law of the land. The corporations who want their way will lie and cheat and tell you falsehoods but they have functioned under unions for decades. Think about it, and remember that when there is a labor strike that all those on strike are not drawing their salary. They lose everything and many union officials except for those that Union Management is their full time job are at an advantage during a labor shut down. This does not mean that all are good or bad, it is just a common sense observation.

Rising fuel prices and the ignorance on the economic impact is only an example of how much the people we have all voted for are bought and paid for by those that they really represent. Your politicians these days are no longer representing you unless it is something that does not impact any corporate profits. Corporations are also making decisions on morality because when they put money behind something that "looks good" it is a public relations stunt to make themselves look better.

For any who think increasing fuel prices solves instead of hurts greatly, they need to look very hard at the infrastructure and different regulation including different taxation rules and government hand outs to keep their little citizens afloat. They have stricter governmental controls in certain areas which in fact are far more controlled with regards to economies than in the United States.

What you are going to see in the next few years is a ton of major tax increases and more government control of smaller business ventures while the same things will be eliminated from the biggest guys and this will be done by conservatives who will blame the increases to total "pie in the sky" and sweep it under the table.

I rarely froth at the mouth as much as when I see well meaning but uneducated people buying "political dribble" from either party. Read the congressional and senatorial records yourself. They are available on line and easily accessible. See what the bozos we are all electing are actually doing. Read the language and see who really does benefit from what they do.

Hey there are conservatives that have good points and those with more liberal thinking that have good points too. Stalemates and roadblocks to forward movement and common sense based on political favors are what has and will continue to destroy us.

19. Pierced1953

Pierced1953 New Member

Albums:
    In nine weeks your gov has pasted two bills. One was their health care, the other was they get paid even if the gov shuts down. Oh ya, to extend not to shut the gov down for two more weeks.

It is plain and simple, nothing will be done for two more years until they are re-elected and then it will be the same all crap.

Reminds me of seeing lawyers in court. They call each other names, make up lies, humiliate each other and tell the judge they shouldn't be allowed to practice law.

Then when the judge orders recess, you hear them in the halls or lunch room laughing about the stupid fucks their representing and how much their charging you/fucking you. When court is about to start, they head to the washroom, pack their noses, wipe the white shit off and go back to calling names.

They win, you loose....Do you see the picture?

Only a new government is the solution and it will have to be a revolution.

They are criminals, just like dictators in the middle east.

20. D_stryhtfg

D_stryhtfg New Member

Because I can.

I don't want to drive some little tin can car that sounds like there is a squirrel under the hood.

I make money, I spend the money on what I want.

That is why I not only have a pickup (to move one person around) but I also have a boat. I let my truck run for 20 minutes at a time, so I don't have to be cold when I get in. It;s my money, it's my truck, it's my gas.

And I know from watching Top Gear, that the majority of the cost of fuel in Britain, is government taxes.

And here's a nice tid-bit for ya...last time gas was this expensive, Oil was $20-$40 more per barrel...and we were using MORE of it. So, right now, we have more supply/less demand (which should lower the price), yet the price is the same...

We need to drill in Alaska...and North Dakota. North Dakota is floating on a MASSIVE lake of oil...more oil than the Saudis have.

http://oilshalegas.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/bakkenmap.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted