Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Its simple enough - government has to raise money from taxes. you have to tax something. Tax fuel and because it is expensive people buy cleverer cars which use less. The cost to the economy is exactly the same, because the government had to get that money somehow, but you saved a bit of pollution, made the city smell better, reduced CO2 pollution a tiny bit. And you also made your economy more robust, because if fuel prices suddenly take off companies do not have to suddenly adjust to massive percentage increases in fuel costs, and they already use less fuel than places where it is cheap. If things get really bad, a government can even ease off a bit on the fuel tax while your already fuel efficient companies laugh their heads off at their american competitors who just cant re-tool for expensive fuel fast enough. Oil prices are only going one way long term, so get used to it.

Oh and i make it about $9.40 after conversion.

There was a TV program the other day about someone whose hobby is restoring tanks. They filmed him going to the garage. £900 I think they said. But you get repect in traffic.

Last edited:

SilverTrain

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I don't Americans should complain about the price of gasoline. We get it for significantly less than most of the world.

The main issue for people living in the US is that if the price increases dramatically, it has a major effect on peoples' financial stability. If the price of gas goes from, say, $2.75 to $3.50 in less than a year, in an enconomic climate that is fragile and depressed, people are going to be significantly affected. And it's understandable that they should express concern (or even "whine".) Especially when the price increases have no bearing on any shift in supply/demand.

D_stryhtfg

Experimental Member
Media
Its simple enough - government has to raise money from taxes. you have to tax something. Tax fuel and because it is expensive people buy cleverer cars which use less. The cost to the economy is exactly the same, because the government had to get that money somehow, but you saved a bit of pollution, made the city smell better, reduced CO2 pollution a tiny bit. And you also made your economy more robust, because if fuel prices suddenly take off companies do not have to suddenly adjust to massive percentage increases in fuel costs, and they already use less fuel than places where it is cheap. If things get really bad, a government can even ease off a bit on the fuel tax while your already fuel efficient companies laugh their heads off at their american competitors who just cant re-tool for expensive fuel fast enough. Oil prices are only going one way long term, so get used to it.

There was a TV program the other day about someone whose hobby is restoring tanks. They filmed him going to the garage. £900 I think they said. But you get repect in traffic.

What do you mean American car companies can't re-tool fast enough?

We have had b-class cars for years...and now Ford just introduced their (mediocre) Fiesta here (to low dismal, sales)

We don't want small tin cans....the automakers are all on board with fuel economy. GM has hybrids, Ford has hybrids, and Chrysler is introducing the great Fiat 500.

As for raising money...here's a crazy idea...how about the government QUIT SPENDING on things that have been shown over and over again to not MAKE MOENY?

Rikter8

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
97 would make my car run like a rocket :party2::biglaugh::drive::drive::slomo:

Not really. It's a waste of cash if you dont have 12:1+ compression in your engine.

It's been hovering around 3.55 for regular here for a couple of weeks, and Premium 93 octane is $3.75 a gallon.

The american auto makers are in bed with the gasoline companies and with the state governments.
They could make fuel efficient cars, but choose not to.
I drove a 2011 HHR 2.0L base and knocked down a whopping 23.5mpg on the expressway.
In contrast, my 90 bonneville - a full size 4 door sedan with a 3.8L engine could get 28-30mpg all day long.

Economical Eco scooter cars here in the states are total garbage. They are Unsafe, not fuel efficient, and insurance rates are extremely high because the high likelihood of the accident - the car is disposable.

Check insurance on an Aveo or Cavalier. You'll be suprised on how much more it costs.

There is no shortage of fuel. Only corporate greed taking advantage of the american public.

I would love to ride my bike to work, but I'll probably get fired for carrying my handgun with me into the office. I'll need it for the bike ride through the ghetto to get to work, since there's no police presence where they need it.

Last edited:

dandelion

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I didnt just mean car companies. All energy needs to be taxed. It is about the cost of a lorry driving across the country adding to costs. Suddenly it becomes cheaper to get the stuff from China by boat. The cost of heating. Suddenly it makes sense to invest in insulation, but that cant be afforded at once. Cost of plastic goes through the roof. Time to recycle?

We don't want small tin cans....the automakers are all on board with fuel economy. GM has hybrids, Ford has hybrids, and Chrysler is introducing the great Fiat 500.
But if the fuel price doubles suddenly there is no market for gas guzzlers and cant get economy cars. Oh, and theyre made of plastic which doesnt rust so much.

As for raising money...here's a crazy idea...how about the government QUIT SPENDING on things that have been shown over and over again to not MAKE MOENY?
But unless you mean to sack the entire government there will still be a need to get revenue from somewhwere. Rather pay income tax or gas tax?

Cuddler

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
$1.35 Canadian per Litre = $5.25 US per gallon

But it's been over a month since I filled up. I live within two miles of the office, so the commute is good exercise (especially through 6-to-12-inch snow drifts). There are 3 supermarkets in easy walking distance, plus several smaller specialty food stores. If I need to go downtown, the subway is only a mile or so away.

D_stryhtfg

Experimental Member
Media
But unless you mean to sack the entire government there will still be a need to get revenue from somewhwere. Rather pay income tax or gas tax?

Prior to November 2010, I would say there was nothing worth saving in our government...thankfully, America spoke very loudly and turned things for the better.

But I think that, as a country, we can get out from under our massive deficit, enjoy proper fuel costs ($2.00-$2.50/gallon), etc without raising taxes.

I feel sorry for you in the UK...you have a very oppressive government...speed cameras, taxes from every angle, etc.

But I can't tell you how much I like the UK Top Gear. Talk about a proper car program...Far better than the hack job Top Gear we get here...

B_crackoff

Experimental Member
Media
hmmmmmmmm let's see. 10 gallons at $3.50 per gallon is ONLY $35.00 -- and just how many hours at miniumum wage is that???? Even if you make $10.00 an hour --- that's 3 1/2 hours of work JUST to fill your tank to GET to work! I guess that leaves 36 1/2 hours to pay for everything else (unless you fill up MORE than once a week!)

Wow, that's either a long way to drive, or really poor m/pg! 10 gallons has to be 200 miles minimum.

Most countries where fuel prices are extremely high have very different structures economically than the United States.

Let me give a little food for thought:

Gallon of milk $6.75 mine $5
Single person lunch at McDonalds $15.00 mine $6.40
A Delivered Dominos Pizza $30.00 mine $18
A Replacement Car battery $400.00 mine $60
A Replacemenet base level tire for the average car $400.00 mine $40

I must drive shit cars! They still all do 130 mph though! Ever heard of a Honda? Very reliable, the engine just keeps on going.

Because I can. I let my truck run for 20 minutes at a time, so I don't have to be cold when I get in. It;s my money, it's my truck, it's my gas.

And I know from watching Top Gear, that the majority of the cost of fuel in Britain, is government taxes.

Its simple enough - government has to raise money from taxes. you have to tax something.

American gallons are 5/6 of UK imperial gallons, so my price/gallon would be £1.26*4.54*5/6 = $7.72

We have had b-class cars for years...and now Ford just introduced their (mediocre) Fiesta here (to low dismal, sales)

Yep, the Fiesta is a crap car - you're lucky not to have the Nissan Micra!

I feel sorry for you in the UK...you have a very oppressive government...speed cameras, taxes from every angle, etc.

That's mainly a legacy of the previous left wing government

But I can't tell you how much I like the UK Top Gear. Talk about a proper car program...Far better than the hack job Top Gear we get here...

Top Gear's the only programme worth watching on TV, even the reruns! The Xmas special saw them dropped in Iraq! It's a shame some of the more contentious jokes get cut for international consumption. The PC brigade hate it. I think the highlights were driving really bad cars to the north pole, & across salt flats & jungle in Africa.

The tax on an imperial gallon is £3.63 out of a price of £5.72, or $4.90 out of $5.72 in US gallons!

We pay $1-1.50 more a gallon in tax than you pay at all! In the US, France, & Germany - taxes raised via duties & tolls are matched to expenditure on roads. In the UK, the excess £40BN is spent on something else.

What doesn't make sense is that we export 90% of our oil, & import 90% of it!

Last edited:

dandelion

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Did you catch the November 5th spinoff special where they had a change from cars and blew up the houses of parliament? Their expert was surprised at how effective a bang you get from a good barrel of old fashioned gunpowder. Reckoned the secret was having a good strong barrell to make sure the explosion gets going well.

(to explain for the US, on 5 November, bonfire night, the Uk customarily has fireworks and burns an effigy of Guy Fawkes, who was caught trying to blow up the houses of parliament. Wikipedia says celebration of his capture was discontinued in the US in 1817)

B_stanmarsh14

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
Tell me about it :rolleyes: Until this week I was travelling a lot of miles each way to work and back. I have a car that gives me pretty good consumption but my costs on average were about £100 a week for fuel. I got transferred to a branch only a few miles from home and am averaging about £10 a week now.

The cost of petrol seems to spiral week in and week out and we seem to just shrug it off. It's time we all kicked up a fuss again like happened a few years back. I know the cost of crude has increased but what we pay in duty in the UK in fuel is getting out of control. It happens because we allow it to. :rolleyes:

Also just think, the UK budget speech is due in about two weeks time for the April 5th rates.

Surely the UK government can forgo the increase this time, as they have more than made the expected money via the VAT route, with actual oil prices being as high as they are.