Gasland (2010)

Discussion in 'Politics' started by midlifebear, Jun 22, 2010.

1. midlifebear

Gold Member

Although yesterday was officially the first day of summer, my all of my house keeper's tomatoes froze to death last night. We're experiencing one of the longest "springs" in recent memory on the Sagebrush Steppe. Last night my rickety ranch hands, the house keeper and I all sat around a raging juniper wood fire and watched Gasland on HBO (we have satellite DirecTV).

Anyone else catch this jerky (the documentary film maker is new to the game) video exposition on well water throughout the entire USA (except for Nevada, Oregon, Washington, and parts of Idaho) where folks are able to ignite the tap water that comes into their house from wells? Quite an eye opener.

Nevada is not without its own superfund and general pollution problems because of rampant, uncontrolled mining processes. But we do understand the value of fresh water and there is a moratorium in our State against oil drilling and drilling for gas. Besides, gold and silver are worth more and figuring out the hornets nest of mining claims in the Silver State is a bit beyond the normal intelligence of an oil company grunt.

But Gasland is something to be watched and heeded. It appears the oil companies have pretty much ruined the majority of aquifers in the rest of the States. Any LPSG-ers have experience with lighting the water on fire that pours into their kitchen sinks?

Here are a couple quick links: Former Chairman of the House Energy and Commerce Committee,[4][5] primary House author of the Energy Policy Act of 2005, and chairman of the House-Senate energy conference committee

and Gasland: A film by Josh Fox

Sadly, I guess you have to have subscribe to the Sundance Chanel or HBO, but look for it showing up on a PBS station in your area. And while you're watching it, keep reminding yourself that Dick Cheney is primarily responsible for this "other" oil company related ecological disaster. :smile:

#1 midlifebear, Jun 22, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2010
  2. FuzzyKen

FuzzyKen New Member

Gasland has struck a real nerve with many and will be yet another nail in the past political administration and it's "lackys".

I was aware of this some time ago because of some friends in one of the areas where this has taken place.

What scares me is that there is no way to get the pollutants out of the water supply and the damage once it hits the underground water supplies tends to drift and spread. This not only has damaged things, but has a great deal of potential to enter the food chain where many people young and old will be slowly poisoned from the content.

I have a friend who taped this off of HBO for me and it is astounding making the mess in the gulf almost seem trivial.

3. dandelion

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    just an observation, Id be surprised if any sort of crude oil was clear enough to get into water without it being quite obviously contaminated. The only way I can see it burning would be if someone added refined oil, ie petrol. Taste bad, yes, but enough to burn?

Oh, and the summer has been a very slow start here too. Nice today, but really only just got going. Cold spring.

4. midlifebear

Gold Member

Dandelion:

You'll need to see the documentary to understand the problem. It's not an oil spill. It's the oil companies going back to old oil fields and using their "secret" lube to drill into pockets of methane: a process call fracturing. The problem becomes two-fold: 1. The "special sauce" they use as a drilling lube is comprised of basically anything and everything that is a known carcinogen. They use a lot of it and only a small percent is recoverable. The majority of the hundreds of thousands of gallons used remains in aquifers as the drills pass the aquifers and eventually puncture methane pockets under domes of shale. 2. Fracturing does just what the word says. It "fractures" otherwise stable shale beds that were just fine at keeping the majority of underground methane from escaping through little cracks in the hard rock, because prior to fracturing there were no breaches or cracks in the protective shale. Methane now escapes, becomes trapped in aquifers both deep and shallow (as shallow as 250 feet) and potable wells that were previously fine and produced clean, drinkable water for hundreds of years now cause fizzing at the kitchen faucet, bathroom toilet, lawn sprinklers, and combust if someone tosses a match. And by combust I mean explodes with such force that it can kill. And fracturing doesn't just affect home wells. Every city in the United States consolidates existing well water for dispersal through a city's main water system. There is no water treatment facility in the USA that is prepared to remove the large quantities of methane as well as the insult of so many different carcinogens to existing aquifers.

Up State New York is covered with beautiful old farms where the well water has been condemned and the wells shut down. This is a different issue, but not by much. The problem with the undrinkable, although beautiful, sparkling clear well water no one can drink is because dry cleaners used to simply dump their cleaning fluids in open pits behind their businesses as well as let the stuff flow into open drains. By not knowing what they were doing, dry cleaners and similar establishments permanently contaminated most aquifers with benzine. Benzine is one of the most serious carcinogens currently running amok in nature. It doesn't take much to create "population flows" of auto immune disease and what used to be rare cancers. The government finally put a halt to dry cleaners dumping starting in the early 1950s. The benzine ring may be a cute thing to learn about in chemistry class, but a large portion of the "special secret fracturing" lube being used by oil companies is simply benzine.

Oh, and there's the small issue of every living thing dependent upon reasonably clean water tends to die. So, if you do water your lawn with water containing methane and the fracturing lube, your lawn will soon die.

This is not a joke.

#4 midlifebear, Jun 23, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2010
  5. ColoradoGuy

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    You can also find this EXCELLENT documentary on Netflix.
    >> Gasland

6. TurkeyWithaSunburn

Gold Member

Albums:
    They are drilling for the Natural Gas, aka methane, not oil. Coal bed methane is different than traditional oil/gas drilling. You can pump thousands of gallons of water to extract the methane. All that water has to go somewhere. Most of the water if I remember right is mildly to highly alkali.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvjAlvC_cg0
    the wastewater will catch fire start at 2:30, at 3min the rancher sets his wellwater on fire :shocked:

Here is a local news report about faucets catching fire
    Fire water fuels concern from EPA, Congress - KDVR (includes video on the page)

http://www.kdvr.com/videobeta/?watchId=498506d3-23c8-4f15-877b-a2405300b1bf

#6 TurkeyWithaSunburn, Jun 23, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2010
  7. Zot57

Zot57 Member

Albums:
    I saw this film the other day and I have to say I found it profoundly shocking.

Just try googling for "Haliburton Loophole".

-- Erik

Draft saved Draft deleted