Gay Adoption ...

kalipygian

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I was just thinking you were maybe getting behind in your alleged every other day inflammatory thread.

We have had it in practice in Alaska at least since the early-mid 80's, social workers are generally not as homophobic as the average population, but it isn't codified, legislators pander to the haters.

Heard the RC's in Britain were trying to stop the proposed legislation, and Rowan Williams and Tony Blair sympathised with them. Glad to hearTony did what was right instead of indulging his own religious prejudice.

SuffolkU

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
The only question I keep getting asked is if gay adoption gives the right role models. I personally don't have a problem with it. There's many one parent families.

D_Thoraxis_Biggulp

Experimental Member
Media
The only question I keep getting asked is if gay adoption gives the right role models. I personally don't have a problem with it. There's many one parent families.

This is true, many people turn out fine being raised by only (or primarily) one parent. It's because the gender roles aren't as strict these days as they used to be. Some generalizations still tend to apply, but that's to be expected through human nature.
With homosexual parents though, I can't speak with any certainty as I haven't known anybody raised as such. But I would theorize that the biggest problems would be in the middle school/junior high school years. Kids can be harsh at that age, and one with gay parents would be ridiculed daily. But, that's only a small portion of their lifetime.
As long as, upon the child's coming of age, there's a respect of sexual preference between parents and child, the family can function like normal. It's not much different from a straight couple with a gay child. Maybe easier, actually.

GoneA

Sexy Member
Media
Not saying I like the question or agree with it but I don't think smacking someone would change their mind.

That's not the objective, my friend, since someone stupid enough to make a statement like that is already virtually hopeless.

I wasn't saying you agreed or anything.

Nelly Gay

Experimental Member
Media
I was just thinking you were maybe getting behind in your alleged every other day inflammatory thread.

We have had it in practice in Alaska at least since the early-mid 80's, social workers are generally not as homophobic as the average population, but it isn't codified, legislators pander to the haters.

Heard the RC's in Britain were trying to stop the proposed legislation, and Rowan Williams and Tony Blair sympathised with them. Glad to hearTony did what was right instead of indulging his own religious prejudice.

On that note, Opus Dei cunt and mother-of-the-year, Ruth Kelly is the only Minister still against the issue .
There is an internet poll should anyone wish to petition against this "equalities minister" though .

SuffolkU

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
That's not the objective, my friend, since someone stupid enough to make a statement like that is already virtually hopeless.

I wasn't saying you agreed or anything.

No no I understand that.

But about the statement I hear it ALL THE TIME and don't know what to say back since then the focus gets on me if I disagree. I think people seeing gay people in the media more and more and like Ellen and others coming out if that continues then they'll be convinced because it's not a big "unknown" or something.

arktrucker

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
Twenty four years ago, my partner and I adopted two brothers. They were the younges of 5 kids who's mother, our housekeeper, had passed away. Her kids were farmed out to family members and nobody wanted the littlest one's since they were in diapers. We took them and raised them. Oh, I didn't mention, they're black. We made sure they continued contact with their family, i.e. aunts, uncles and cousins but, they knew them but also knew that we were their dad's.
They were raised in a loving home. There was never a discussion of our being gay, they knew it. There was never any problems with their friends teasing and tormenting them about their 'queer daddies' they wouldn't have put up with it.
We raised them with respect love and support and values and they in return have provided us with 5 beautiful grandchildren. Both of them were in the service the oldest in the Navy and the youngest in the army. And the younges is just back from his 2nd tour in Iraq. And the way this president is fucking around it looks like he may be going back, and I hate that.

DaveyR

Retired Moderator
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Twenty four years ago, my partner and I adopted two brothers. They were the younges of 5 kids who's mother, our housekeeper, had passed away. Her kids were farmed out to family members and nobody wanted the littlest one's since they were in diapers. We took them and raised them. Oh, I didn't mention, they're black. We made sure they continued contact with their family, i.e. aunts, uncles and cousins but, they knew them but also knew that we were their dad's.
They were raised in a loving home. There was never a discussion of our being gay, they knew it. There was never any problems with their friends teasing and tormenting them about their 'queer daddies' they wouldn't have put up with it.
We raised them with respect love and support and values and they in return have provided us with 5 beautiful grandchildren. Both of them were in the service the oldest in the Navy and the youngest in the army. And the younges is just back from his 2nd tour in Iraq. And the way this president is fucking around it looks like he may be going back, and I hate that.

I take my hat off to you both. My partner and I have talked about adoption and we came to the conclusion that we are far too selfish with our lifestyle. We would not be prepared to make the sacrificies involved and therefore it would not be fair on the kids who are the most important part of all this. Sad on our part but realistic we think.

Your story brought a lump to my throat and a tear to my eye.

Adrian69702006

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
No Response
My own view is that when it comes to placement for adoption the best interests of young people ought to come first and really take precedence over the rights of adoptive parents. Young people usually benefit from having both male and female role models as they tend to learn different things from men and women. It took a constipated sounding vicar's wife to point this out on Question Time the other night, but I think there was a lot of truth in what she had to say.

DaveyR

Retired Moderator
Media
Sexuality
No Response
My own view is that when it comes to placement for adoption the best interests of young people ought to come first and really take precedence over the rights of adoptive parents. Young people usually benefit from having both male and female role models as they tend to learn different things from men and women. It took a constipated sounding vicar's wife to point this out on Question Time the other night, but I think there was a lot of truth in what she had to say.

Let me be the first in what will probably be a long line of folks to tell you that that is absolute bollocks.

That is a very outdated view. The important thing for a kid is that they are loved and taught life skills. They may have learned different things from men and women in the past but not any more. The stereotypes are well outdated. Many men can keep house, clean and cook better than women. Many women can fix cars and do DIY better than men.

In some cases children are better off with a single parent. All that they may learn from the other one is how to be a drunk and be abusive to their partner or even the child. (Notice I said partner not wife because women can be drunks and abusive too).

That view you posted came from a Vicar's wife? You do surprise me - NOT.