Gay = Adult Reading?

midlifebear

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
I believe the following rightly goes under the heading of discrimination.

Seems Amazon.com has decided that anything not anti-gay is regarded as "Adult" material. WTF? So, if you're looking for a copy of Ellen Degeneres' biography, you need to make the extra effort to go to the "dirty book section." Think I'm making it up? Check out:

Amazon.com de-gays search results, sales rankings | AfterEllen.com

For a quick, straight forward explanation of the "problem." God forbid you're gay parents looking for some self-help guidance on parenting the bundle of joy in your lives. You're going to have to search "the dirty book section" for anything remotely pro-gay. :frown1:

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I just saw that online and was perplexed and pissed. :irked: It makes no sense. So if E. Lynn Harris has the #1 selling book in the country it doesn't show up on Amazon's top sellers list; :261: unless you look under Adult Books. They need to fix that mess post haste. I don't think books by or about GLBT should be relegated to the dirty book bin.

I believe the following rightly goes under the heading of discrimination.

Seems Amazon.com has decided that anything not anti-gay is regarded as "Adult" material. WTF? So, if you're looking for a copy of Ellen Degeneres' biography, you need to make the extra effort to go to the "dirty book section." Think I'm making it up? Check out:

Amazon.com de-gays search results, sales rankings | AfterEllen.com

For a quick, straight forward explanation of the "problem." God forbid you're gay parents looking for some self-help guidance on parenting the bundle of joy in your lives. You're going to have to search "the dirty book section" for anything remotely pro-gay. :frown1:

Joseph

Expert Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
It seems like a stupid tendency... anything clearly stating someone is gay is inappropriate for minors........... but why is clearly stating someone is straight ok for everyone?

I do notice this in many aspects, many categories.

Lex

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Midlifebear--as we have done in the past, if you compose a form letter to the Amazon folks, many of us would be agreeable to sending it in order to bring this to their attention.

I actually found books for my kids when I came out to them, but I used the search bar and did not dig through the adult content section. IIRC, the books, I found were not listed as adult material as they were strictly written for kids.

Corius

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
The public library has it all over the stuff that is available on line IMHO. I have found that the librarians are eager to put the good stuff out there for the ordinary reader to be in touch with what is happening in our society.

I have just finished Abraham Verghese's MY OWN COUNTRY. The title doesn't tell much but I found it to be a wonderful refresher on the way much of the variety and the traumas of human sexuality are a part of the world we live in.

Dr. Verghese locates in eastern Tennessee at the time of the dawning of the scourge of HIV/AIDS. This doctor whose specialty is iinfectious diseases, not the most attractive or lucrative specialty, tells the story of the arrival of AIDS in an area where folks were not ready to meet it. The human drama of the growing number of cases he deals with makes his experience worth knowing about. Of course, it helps that he is a great writer. I came away thinking that if I had ever needed a doctor in his area of specialization, I would hope that that doctor would be like Dr. Verghese, someone who deals with others in a non-judgmental manner, someone who genuinely seeks the good of others, who can treat others as being as worthy as persons as he himself is.

It is good to be reminded of the signs of hope, the hopeful and helpful ordinary persons who do their best even in the worst of situations.