"Gay" as a bad word

B_NineInchCock_160IQ

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
PEP Web - Toward the Further Understanding of Homosexual Women

SpringerLink - Journal Article

Elderly Homosexual Women and Men: Report on a Pilot Study.

BioSpace - Homosexual

Psychotherapy With Homosexual Men ... - Google Book Search

Homosexual mating tastes go mainstream - gender more important than sexual orientation in determining some sexual practices | Science News | Find Articles at BNET.com

A Study of Homosexual Women

man... just look at this explosion in the use of the term homosexual when referencing women. All just in the last half hour or so, too, I assume. Since before I used it for the first time at the top of this page they were exclusively referred to as lesbians. There are already 850,000 results on Google. That's amazing.

B_becominghorse

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Women are often referred to in studies as 'homosexuals', but you knew exactly what I meant: Nobody ever says 'she's a homosexual' in ordinary conversation, they say 'she's a Lesbian'. In any case, I've put you on Ignore for the duration, as you are a bona fide fool, who has to be 'right' even when you definitely are not. The fact that Lesbians ARE homosexuals is beside the point, you little pantywaist internet junkie, you little 5inch98IQ.

As for 'socially retarded', it is of no importance 'what you meant about it', and, in fact, that only proves it more, because 'socially' would mean determined by those outside oneself. I would suggest you stick to arguing about these things on non-intellectual sites such as this (I mean for the most part--there are actually some very bright people here), because you just may find somebody to eat all of your shit. Why don't you tell me your feelings aren't hurt? But they are. Well, I might read it if you have a shit-eating fan who requotes you, but I've found that Ignore function is really sufficient, and if they re-quote, it matters less than just your knowing you're on fucking Ignore. Because you cannot bullshit me and waste my time any further, and it's no wonder you write tome-like posts on the etcetera forum--the mark of a total internet freak.

xemnasfury21

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I sometimes use it, I dont usually of late which is nothing to do with anything other than having new words. My housemates say it all the time but it very very rarely gets directed at me, being the only non hetero in the house of nine i am not sure how deliberate that is, it doesn't bother me either way.

I once got banned somewhere online because someone used it to mean lame and i defended them. They did not get banned ironically.

I like the idea of only people applicable to the word being able to use it even less than I like the idea of using or not using a word at all.

D_Gunther Snotpole

Account Disabled
Media
Women are often referred to in studies as 'homosexuals', but you knew exactly what I meant: Nobody ever says 'she's a homosexual' in ordinary conversation, they say 'she's a Lesbian'.

I think that's right.
You might speak of a 'homosexual woman,' but rarely, and only using the word 'homosexual' as an adjective.
But when speaking of 'a homosexual,' one would always think of a man, never of a woman.
No particular logic behind that, but that's how the word, at least in my experience, is used.
It's not false to say, as NIC does, that 'women who enjoy having sex with other women are homosexuals,' but it would normally be said in a somewhat technical context.

MisterMark

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I just came across this thread.

It's interesting that nearly every straight guy defended using the word "gay" to mean "stupid" or "bad". It didn't matter that every gay guy said he found it hurtful or offensive, the straight guys told the gay guys that they were being "too sensitive", that gays "need to get over it" and that the world is "too politically correct".

Rather than blaming the victims for their hurt feelings, I wonder if those guys have ever considered thinking about how the words they use might affect those around them. Hopefully they have since the time this discussion took place.

I'm not sure why it's so difficult for some people to come up with a word other than "gay" to describe something negative. I guess it's just intellectual laziness.

Last edited:

Joseph

Expert Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
When I use the word GAY as an adjective, it never refers to anything wrong or bad.
It annoys me how some people act and since I'm in Poland, here... gay is so often used as a synonym for bad/stupid.

Quite frankly, sometimes it's pretty paradox!
I was playing Magic The Gathering (world wide famous card game) and I did manage to play a pretty powerful wizard that ... I ADMIT... had a bit of a feminine look (due to Asian elements of design) and my opponent used his brains to think off a fitting way to describe my monster

He: OH FUCK! It's that gay guy! :mad:
Me: :confused: Excuse me.........?
He: :angryfire2: I know that creature, it has the ability to produce so many token creatures! I hate him so much!!! He is GAY!
Me: :shrug: If I follow your logic -> the creature I have summoned is gay, because he possesses a powerful token creature producing ability... so that means all powerful creatures are gay? That's what your trying to say?
He: :censored:

That was another nerdy story by Joseph :biggrin1:

EDIT: Oh and for those who are curious... my "gay creature" did teach him a real good lesson! :)

Last edited:

wallaboi

Cherished Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
This is a really great discussion. The thread has covered everything from the evolution of language, to pop culture and poitical correctness. Must say that I have learned much from other peoples perspectives and perceptions.

I now hear it mostly used amongst friends, as an affectionate kind of put down. Not usually intended to cause real offense... your haircut is so gay! In these days of metrosexuality it has often become a kind of backhanded compliment...

If I wanted to insult someone I'd probably call them something like...fuck ugly, stupid arsehole, dickhead!

AsA3DollarBill

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I didn't hear what one of my co-workers was talking about, but right as I walked by his area I heard him say, "that is *so* gay." So I called out, "Really? It's in a same-sex relationship?", which got a big laugh from the other straight guys around him.

When he tried to mumble some incoherent response, I went off on my usual diatribe, tailored to whomever I'm speaking to. "How would *you* like it if I said, 'that is *so* "white guy". That movie sucked; how "white guy" can you get? Man, could you *be* any more "white guy"?'" I find that putting it in terms like that sinks in at least a little. Even if it doesn't open his eyes it might've worked on a couple of the guys around him.

B_VinylBoy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I do agree that people need to learn the context in which words are being used. That way, people are not offended by just the word but in the message that is given. At the same time, I think people need to choose their words carefully. Many times, a comment can be given (positive or negative) without the need of using such questionable words and the impact remains the same.

I know with my closest friends and colleagues, we may get a little raw with our vocabulary. I have no problems with this because I know where I stand relationship-wise with these people. However, I wouldn't talk or even act in this manner around people I just met or people I barely know. That's just being considerate of other people's wishes.

MisterMark

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I didn't hear what one of my co-workers was talking about, but right as I walked by his area I heard him say, "that is *so* gay." So I called out, "Really? It's in a same-sex relationship?", which got a big laugh from the other straight guys around him.

When he tried to mumble some incoherent response, I went off on my usual diatribe, tailored to whomever I'm speaking to. "How would *you* like it if I said, 'that is *so* "white guy". That movie sucked; how "white guy" can you get? Man, could you *be* any more "white guy"?'" I find that putting it in terms like that sinks in at least a little. Even if it doesn't open his eyes it might've worked on a couple of the guys around him.

It's good that you spoke up. In order for the message to really get through, though, I think it's better if you can pick out a characteristic that makes the offender stand out - his religion, his ethnicity, whatever. For example, say he's Jewish.

Imagine being in a workplace or a schoolroom with a variety of people, including a few people who are Jewish. Then imagine people saying, "Damn, that movie was SO JEWISH. I hated it!", or "Hey man - you're gettin' on my nerves - quit being a JEW!" Would anyone but a Neo-Nazi group accept that kind of talk in the workplace?

G_U

Just Browsing
Media
I love it when people let things get to them when they shouldn't really care about the opinions of others. I mean, sure there are assholes out there who use people's ethnicities, beliefs, or preferences in a derogatory manner. You have to think though, if they are really that stupid, do you really want to care what they think? People use racial slurs about me all the time. Also, have you ever been to New York? People say things are "Jewish" all the time. I'm not saying it's right, but in NYC it's very common and no one says anything about it.

I'm not defending the people who use "gay" as a derogatory term. I'm just saying to ignore stupidity. Also, one of my female friends gets called a "fag hag" by her gay friends all the time because she's a girl who hangs out with gay men often. Really, what I'm getting at is people are overreacting over everything and are hypocrites anyways. Every last one of us is a hypocrite. It's like being offended by hearing "gay" then calling someone "retarded", which I'm sure NONE of you have ever done.....

Can't we all just get along? =P

P.S. I'm sorry for offending the following; People, stupids, NYC, hypocrites, men, females, assholes, and those who use the letter "e" in words.

This show was brought to you by gaunaherpaciphalitis, the STD that keeps on giving.
This post is not intended as medical advice.

MisterMark

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
You have to think though, if they are really that stupid, do you really want to care what they think?

When the majority of kids in a classroom are using "gay" as a negative word 40 or 50 times a day, how do you think the gay kids in the class feel - especially the ones who aren't even out of the closet yet?

If teachers don't allow kids to yell "nigger" in their classrooms, then I think they should also speak up when kids use "gay" to refer to something undesirable.

Even among adults, I think it's hurtful.

If there wasn't such a stigma to being gay, and if gay no longer meant "homosexual", then it would be a different story, but for now, that's not the case. I can even see using the expression if you're among friends who understand that you're not really anti-gay, but in a mixed setting, like a workplace or a school, then no, I don't think it's acceptable.

wallaboi

Cherished Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
When the majority of kids in a classroom are using "gay" as a negative word 40 or 50 times a day, how do you think the gay kids in the class feel - especially the ones who aren't even out of the closet yet?

If teachers don't allow kids to yell "nigger" in their classrooms, then I think they should also speak up when kids use "gay" to refer to something undesirable.

Even among adults, I think it's hurtful.

If there wasn't such a stigma to being gay, and if gay no longer meant "homosexual", then it would be a different story, but for now, that's not the case. I can even see using the expression if you're among friends who understand that you're not really anti-gay, but in a mixed setting, like a workplace or a school, then no, I don't think it's acceptable.

Agree with all your comments MrMark...It is important, that as teachers / adults we try to teach others of the (often unintended) consequences of their choice of their words. It can be hurtful and also used to bully others.

I apologise if my earlier comments were blase...

Thanks to the activists (who really force the changes) and to LPSG for providing this forum for people to express their opinions.

MisterMark

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Agree with all your comments MrMark...It is important, that as teachers / adults we try to teach others of the (often unintended) consequences of their choice of their words. It can be hurtful and also used to bully others.

I apologise if my earlier comments were blase...

Don't worry, don't worry. No need to apologize for your comments. I wasn't offended by them.

I guess because I'm gay and have had to deal with it, I'm sensitive to these types of things. As I alluded to previously, it's interesting how it's mostly straight people who think it's just fine to use "gay" as a negative word. I would call them insensitive, but I also understand that they're probably not even aware of what they're saying and how it might affect others around them, including the gay people in their lives who they think of as their friends.