Gay As The Day Is Long

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Wanda Sykes Is Gay As The Day Is Long

At the Las Vegas rally for Proposition 8 yesterday, comedian and Adventures of New Christine ingenue Wanda Sykes told a massive crowd of onlookers that she'd gotten married on October 25...to a woman. After divorcing her husband in 1998, many had hoped Sykes would break up Larry David's marriage and claim him for her own. While it looks like that hilarious coupling will never come to pass, we wish the brilliant Sykes all the happiness in the world. Here's what she told the crowd:
"You know, I don't really talk about my sexual orientation. I didn't feel like I had to. I was just living my life, not necessarily in the closet, but I was living my life...Everybody that knows me personally they know I'm gay. But that's the way people should be able to live their lives...Now, I gotta get in their face. I'm proud to be a woman. I'm proud to be a black woman, and I'm proud to be gay."
We probably should have already known, as Sykes and New Christine co-star Julia Louis-Dreyfus often had jokes in the script about their two characters being married. Go Wanda!

UPDATE: You can hear Wanda's speech and an interview afterwards here. And here's some video for you:

===============================================

I'm shocked, I had no idea. :eek: I remember her marriage and subsequent divorce from a younger man. When did she become a canyon yodeler? :confused:

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Canyon yodeler NJ? I almost spit my coffee out through my nose.
I never liked the term carpet muncher. :yuck: Canyon yodeler is more melodic and girly; thereby a more fitting term IMO. :cool:

when I heard about this, I had absolutely no reaction...
I wonder how many others will come out...
I was shocked because it was my 78 yr old, internet phobic mother who told me this over dinner last night. I can't believe with all the news sites and blogs I read daily, that I missed that tidbit of info.

D

deleted136887

You watch out, girl, Canyon yodeler will become the new PC incorrect word. Sounds a little bit hectic... all the pussy I've been with, was like more than a mild depression(not like prozac) in the rolling fair hills. On the mons. These lipstick lessies have got a vicious turn of phrase.

Last edited by a moderator:

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I think that she's doing a lot for the cause, since something like 70% of black voters were responsible for the Yes vote.

Check the numbers again dude. :irked: Blacks did not end gay marriage in California. I can't believe someone as intelligent as you is spreading Rush Limbaugh's racist rhetoric. :12: :mad:

Facts Belie the Scapegoating of Black People for Proposition 8
Fri Nov 07, 2008 at 12:46:45 AM PST

In California, virtually all of this state's Black folks live in just 9 of the state’s 58 counties:
Alameda County (13.7% Black)
Sacramento County (10.5% Black)
Los Angeles County (9.6% Black)
Contra Costa County (9.5% Black)
San Joaquin County (8.0% Black)
San Francisco County (7.2% Black - although this number has plummeted and will plummet more after redevelopment of the last "Black neighborhood", Hunters' Point)
Riverside County (6.6% Black)
Kern County (6.3% Black)
and
San Diego County (5.5% Black).
The vast majority of the counties in this state have a percentage of Black residents of between 1 and 2% (and several have far have less than 1%).
When you know that about California, you know that CNN's "random selection of precinct" method doesn’t seem to make a lot of sense if what you’re trying to do is actually know what Black voters are doing at the polls.

(In this case, the disaster has in fact occurred and unleashed hateful anti-Black rhetoric from white gay bloggers and others that is going to set the cause of gay people back a long fucking time in the Black community if it doesn’t get in check.)

Let’s now discuss the bottom line fact from which all of the seemingly never-ending "Black voters are the reason Proposition 8 passed" must necesarily flow: the number of Black voters in California. Exactly how many Black voters are there in California? Let’s try and find out.
This is the math part.

As of the 2000 census, 6.7% of California's population was Black - 2,one time 6.depending on whether you go with the 2000 Census. However, the more up-to-date ACS estimates indicate that in 2006, only approximately 2.26 million Black people lived in the state. Just 6.2% of the entire state's population.

(This, attentive people will note, is far, far, below our national presence of around 13%.)

I’m going to repeat this for those who are twisting in the wind and keep repeating the false idea of a 10% Black electorate statistic like an emotional life raft in their grief over Proposition 8.
There are only 2.26 million Black people in the entire State of California. We are just 6.2% of the entire population in this state.
Black people are the smallest minority in California other than Native Americans and Pacific Islanders, which come in at just under 7/10ths of 1% and 3/10ths of 1% respectively.(We used to have lots more Black folks here -- as is evident in even the differene between the 2000 Census and 2006 ACS data, but there has been a reverse migration of African-Americans out of California for the past 15 years or so, the bulk of which has been in the past 5 years. We are the only demographic in California whose population estimates are going down, not up, each year. Rapidly going down, at that, due to the economic difficulties that poor and working class people have had surviving in this state since the dot-com boom.
That means:
There are 7 times as many white people in California as Blacks.
There are nearly 6 times as many Latino people in California as Blacks.
And there are double the number of Asian people as Blacks.
Be sure to keep these numbers in mind when thinking about CA registered voters, and Proposition 8.
Factually Unsupported Myth #1: CNN’s 10% Black exit poll sample accurately reflects the actual distribution of voters on Proposition 8.
Factually Unsupported Myth #2: There were enough Black people in California to have created, all by themselves, the 510,000 margin (as of tonight) of passage for Proposition 8.
Factually Unsupported Myth #3: All Black people in California are old enough to vote.
Factually Unsupported Myth #4: All adult Black people in California are eligible to vote.
Factually Unsupported Myth #5: Virtually every adult, non-disqualified Black person was registered to vote on Election Day.
Factually Unsupported Myth #6: There Were Enough "Black Votes" to be the "Deciding Factor" for Proposition 8.
Non-Black Votes in Favor of Proposition 8:
White Men: 51% of 31% of 10,325,615 votes: 1,632,480 Yes
White Women: 47% of 32% of 10,325,615 votes: 1,552,972 Yes
Latino Men: 54% of 8% of 10,325,615 votes: 446,067 Yes
Latino Women: 52% of 11% of 10,325,615 votes: 592,170 Yes
Asian/Native: 51% of 9% of 10,325,615 votes: 473,946 Yes
Total: 4,697,635 (9.3 times the maximum TOTAL number of Black votes in California.)
Now who did all y'all say was at fault, again? Answer - it wasn't us, unless you were contending that even if we went against Proposition 8 in the same proportions as everyone else it would have failed.

D_Tintagel_Demondong

Sexy Member
Media
Oh really?

Black voters helped Prop. 8 passage - Sacramento Politics - California Politics | Sacramento Bee
70% of African Americans backed Prop. 8, exit poll finds | L.A. Now | Los Angeles Times
The Black Vote and Proposition 8 | Pop + Politics
Raymond Leon Roker: Stop Blaming California's Black Voters for Prop 8 - Yahoo! Buzz

Your stats are misleading, NJ. It suggests that there are not enough black people to greatly influence the popular vote. I agree, but that that wasn't my original point. My original point was that 70% of blacks (in California) voted Yes. My other point was that there needs to be more black public figures who support gay rights.

Now bend over for a spanking. :spankme:

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Oh really?

Black voters helped Prop. 8 passage - Sacramento Politics - California Politics | Sacramento Bee
70% of African Americans backed Prop. 8, exit poll finds | L.A. Now | Los Angeles Times
The Black Vote and Proposition 8 | Pop + Politics
Raymond Leon Roker: Stop Blaming California's Black Voters for Prop 8 - Yahoo! Buzz

Your stats are misleading, NJ. It suggests that there are not enough black people to greatly influence the popular vote. I agree, but that that wasn't my original point. My original point was that 70% of blacks (in California) voted Yes. My other point was that there needs to be more black public figures who support gay rights.

Now bend over for a spanking. :spankme:
Yes, but 70% of nothing is still nothing.

While it would be nice if more black actors and celebrities came out in favor of gay rights, I'm not gonna hold my breath. It's a cultural thing to keep things like being gay in the family. I'm not saying that's right it's just what it is.

surferboy

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
i must be way oblivious and have a sucky gaydar haha. i never knew joan jett was a lesbian until she was dating carmen electra, and i never thought wanda sykes was a lesbian either

Deno

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I don't see the big deal, someone is gay wow who would have figured. I guess now beavers will be on the endangered species list.