Gay Bars ROCK!!!

Discussion in 'Relationships, Discrimination, and Jealousy' started by danglybanger, Sep 12, 2006.

1. danglybanger

danglybanger New Member

Albums:
    Haven't posted in a while, you'll remember me as the guy with no social skills who asked how the fuck all you people get laid so much anyways, aka the 21 year old virgin :rolleyes:

Now that that's out of the way :biggrin1: One thing that was suggested to me was to basically go out and make some new friends, which is basically a gimme I guess. Well, I did that. Conveniently, a few of these friends live in an apartment right behind, and I mean like a block away from Graumann's Chinese Theatre in Hollywood, and all the action associated therein (kind of funny to be walking down the street and accidentally caught in a reality show).

So anyways, they introduced me to a bit of that lifestyle... hell. I think I'd be able to deal with living that close to so many bars with beautiful people in them :lol:

One of those friends is a 25 year old gay guy, who has a 60 year old gay guy of his own out in Palm Springs... So that's where we ventured last weekend. Heh, had the best time ever... When I got there I told him I didn't know there was going to be a party, and he was like "what party? This is what it's like every day!" :biggrin1: People in and out all day, just getting drunk, fucking wherever... Mind you, they were all gay/lesbian, but honestly it was just the coolest atmosphere ever. I'd LOVE to live that guy's life, if only I was gay. My other friend (also straight) was equally enamored with the lifestyle... These two gay dudes we were staying with are honestly some of the best guys I've ever met....

This other friend, by the way, is just a great guy to me... He's 35, which gives me hope that I don't just have to be a complete loser once I hit 30. He picked up on the fact that I'm err... kind of shy fairly quick, and has taken it upon himself to give me lessons in self confidence, and make me feel comfortable in my own skin... Which is I guess the key. He had me hit on (lady) bartenders just to get the feel of it... Lesson learned from the day: Politely complimenting women doesn't automatically lead to a slap :biggrin1: (like I thought it would).

The real big thing was hanging out at all the gay bars though. I noticed a fundamental difference between lots of gay bars and straight bars... At a straight bar, there's an atmosphere of almost forlorn desperation... It's not an honest, candid atmosphere many times. At the gay bar, people don't really seem to be so much concerned with all that as much as having a good time. Nice, low pressure atmosphere.

The other thing we learned about gay bars: Straight chicks who hang out at gay bars either A.)don't want to get hit on and just want to have a good time or B.)want to try to "convert" some gay guys. My straight friend found this out pretty quick as he retired somewhere to the back and apparently engaged in a threesome of lots of fingerbanging, I was a bit less... aggressive because I'm, you know, a err... beginner.

Found a nice girl who I was almost SURE was a lesbian (turns out I guess no, or at least not all the way), engaged her in fairly normal conversation (I guess countless beers and G&Ts finally allowed me to be myself if nothing else) and all of a sudden- a momentous occasion in a young man's life: The first time a chick has ever asked for MY number (and told me I was the hottest guy at the bar, no less).

Wow. Did a lot for my self esteem there. Now I guess I just gotta focus on not getting a big head :biggrin1: Or at least saving it for a special occasion :wink:

Anyways... my friend relates the fact that my latest two crushes on women have been on Lesbians to a lack of self confidence, though I just think it's because I met a few cool chicks who happened to be lesbians (or wanted to lie to me about it so I wouldn't pursue them :lol:) So I've been trying to hone this self confidence thing... I don't think I'll go to anymore gay bars alone though. But boy do they rock. I think in terms of getting laid, it seems like there's less of a "game" that goes on between gay dudes... it's more candid

I'm makin' Progress!

Slade

2. Bryan_Lyte2

Gold Member

Please tell me you are not going to hang out in gay bars to score chicks. Sure it may be a low pressured enviromnment but there is the little thing about it being a gay bar. I'm not saying it's a bad place to have fun, only you could use those same principles (have a drink, loosen up, and be honest giving honest compliments to women) and still get phone numbers. I applaude you for feeling comfortable in a gay environment (something I can't even do most times), but you'll probably miss out on the selection of women who go only to regular bars. Good luck though.:cool:

3. fortiesfun

Gold Member

That is quite a progress report, Dangly. Congratulations. Glad you had a good time, and glad you are coming out of your shell. Also glad that somewhere at the start of the second paragraph you seemed to have lost your virginity and it went well. (I missed that report, but happy for you.)

4. Rikter8

Gold Member

Albums:
    I wish the Bars in Michigan were like that.
    They're all uppity, and snobby, cruisers that want to fuck and find some goddess.

In general though, gay bars are more friendly than straight bars (Yes, even in MI) The straight bars here, can count on at least one or two fights.

Gay bars generally have the best music, and the best atmosphere, and there are many Straight people that go to Gay Bars for exactly that reason.

But, I agree with Bryan. Use caution on that being your only stop.

The other thing is, don't rely on bars to find your mate.
    Theyre great social centers, however you also want to see these people outside of the bar, like at bookstores, shopping malls..etc.
    Theres more to life than the bar.

5. B_Lightkeeper

B_Lightkeeper New Member

Moving to Birmingham from a small Mississippi town years (and years) ago, I thought I was in heaven! There were several gay bars there then where I spent many afternoons and nights, although the first time I had to hold my arms to keep from shaking!
    Back then Alabama had strange liquor laws and bar hours and you had to watch for the vice squad.
    Later on opening (and closing) hours became more flexible and the vice turned their attention more to shopping mall bathrooms.
    Besides the gay bars, I frequented a groupie bar where 90% of the crowd was straight or at least bi. You offered a straight a "joint" and chances are you'd score for sex.
    I doubt if I would enjoy the bar scene these days unless they were smoke (cigarette) free.
    Back then though....I had the times of my life.

6. Matthew

Gold Member

LOL

Slade - Way to go! It all sounds like a blast. All the time you've been posting I knew it was just a matter of time until things got rolling for you. This is only the beginning of your adventures. Keep us posted in those brief interludes when you come up for air from under sea of sexy women surrounding you. :wink: Best wishes.

7. BarebackJack

BarebackJack New Member

Albums:
    Hey Slade,

One of the nice things about Hollywood, and LA in general, is that there are so many different kinds of venues: gay bars, straight bars, rock bars, tittie bars & strip joints... some have special nights (I recall a night at one club called "Sin-a-rama" for instance), and then there are all the events around town. Depending on who you know, you can get invited to all sorts of fun clubs and events where you have the opportunity to meet a wide range of people. Now that you've had a taste of LA nightlife, let your hair down and enjoy!

I will caution you about something that you will find in the gay community (and straight, but not as severely)... the party drug scene. It's rampant in LA and Palm Springs, and you should avoid getting involved with that scene at any cost. I have seen many people (especially young people) become seduced into the PNP lifestyle by the promise of having a good time, and the end result is never pretty. Drugs like crystal meth, ecstasy, GHB and K may help a person overcome shyness and lead them into a more free-seeming sexual mood, but the price paid is very high. In the 80's Nancy Reagan coined a phrase which is just as meaningful today as it was then: Just Say No. You'll be glad in the long run that you did.

And hey... if you see me in any of the gay bars around Hollywood, be sure to introduce yourself!

BBJ

8. Satsfakshun

Satsfakshun Member

I was just going to mention this, and I would be talking about Indianapolis. I've met bright, handsome strapping young men just in off the bus and six months later their teeth are black, their skin is grayish and they look like they've aged 20 years -- all because of the "treats" they get. I'm lucky to have only received a glancing blow from this lifestyle. My first BF was totally ruined by it. It's terribly tempting to let someone pay your way and just make life a party.

9. headbang8

Gold Member

Albums:
    Frankly, Slade, it ain't gay bars that rock. It's gay guys--and those who love them--that rock.

All the posturing and self-importance which men (especially drunk men) generally maintain disappears in the gay community. Or rather, it's often so playfully fake that we're all in on the joke.

Once you've come out, you're not prone to lie about yourself too much. Honesty, acceptance and affection blossom in such an atmosphere.

Embrace it, enjoy it, and pay it forward into the straight community.

Draft saved Draft deleted