Gay / Bisexual Servicemen & Women

D_Rod Staffinbone

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I got this via email yesterday from SLDN (Servicemembers Legal Defense Network).

offroad

The Republican Party's platform position on "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" contains this plank:

"To protect our servicemen and women and ensure that America's Armed Forces remain the best in the world, we affirm the timeliness of those values, the benefits of traditional military culture, and the incompatibility of homosexuality with military service."

That's right -- this week at its national convention, the Republican Party once again made discrimination against lesbian, gay, and bisexual service members an official part of its vision for the United States.

Join us in sending a clear message to the Republican leadership that this position is unacceptable. Sign our petition right away:

SLDN | Take a stand against discrimination

Both Republicans and Democrats alike will tell you that our armed forces are overseas fighting for freedom. Then why is one of our major political parties ready to deny the very freedom we're fighting for to lesbian, gay and bisexual service members?

Homosexuality is "incompatible" with our military? Tell that to the 65,000 LGB service members who are serving right now -- today -- in the armed forces of the United States.

How about the 12,500 service members who risked their lives to defend our nation, only to be fired for their sexual orientation? And how about the nearly 60 gay Arabic linguists kicked out of the military, when we desperately need people with these critical skills to protect our country?

We should be calling for a systematic non-discrimination policy in our armed forces to reflect the American ideals of freedom and equality, rather than kicking out service members who are ready and willing to serve.

D_Chaumbrelayne_Copprehead

Account Disabled
Media
How we treat gays and lesbians is as silly as how we treated black folks in the military a few generations ago. And today's current policy will go away as soon as we have a president who realizes that it's silly to segregate people as we are, and it's time to force the issue.

By the way, to all those in the military ... gay or straight ... thanks for your service.

Cherished Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
No Response
I just signed the petition because I believe that in order for something to change in this world, be it discrimination, racism, intolerance or what have you, that ACTION needs a voice and I wanted to share the message that I attached with my signature with you all. Perhaps I am not the only one that feels the way that I do. As usual, peace.

I served my country during September 11th 2001. I will never forget what I was doing that day like I believe every American remembers, even the youngest child. My service was up soon after that tragic day but so many others (a lot of them were GLB enlisted members) did not have the opportunity to come home. I worked as an Aviation Electrician and we ended up in watchtowers, armed with open eyes and ready trigger fingers.

I am bisexual American and I was awesome at my job. I put my life 'on hold' for the military just like thousands of others GLB Americans that vote and serve willingly for 'freedom for all.'
I believe that the fact that someone is attracted to the same sex has absolutely nothing to do with their ability to protect their country, become deployable, put their life on line, etc. It is a very small-minded view.

I sat in front of my television for a couple of years after that horrible day just hoping that I would not see a man or a woman (not a homosexual or a lesbian) that worked next to me while I was in the military with my life in their hands that was unfortunately killed serving in a military that did not have their best interests at heart...and I completely trusted every single one of them.

I support democracy, change, acceptance, tolerance and universal love. God bless every PERSON serving in the military. May their contracts end swiftly and their returns homes be welcomed by the family and friends that they left behind.

gcbenji0

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
gays should have every right to serve their country. and that is why we all need to head to the polls and vote for Obama in november.

D_Rod Staffinbone

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
hey guys!
thanks, so far. glad i posted this, even to get a few more people to know about the work of Servicemembers Legal Defense Network (SLDN). there is a lot of support for SLDN on both sides of the aisle, was actually kindof surprised this year that the Republicans still hadn't signed on for the repeal of "don't ask, don't tell".

and, yes, of course, thanks to ALL servicemembers who put their lives on
the line for us everyday.

offroad