Gay clubs : obsolete?

Many gay club owners in the area that I live in have retired their clubs and sold them off or are in the process of doing so. Many of them say that "the era of the gay club is over." There are a handful of people who blame other variables like:
1. The acceptance of gay culture and the need for a specifically gay space no longer a necessity
2. The apps (Grindr, Jack'd, Scruff, Growlr, Tinder, etc.)
3. "Its not the clubs, the gay scene itself is different."
4. Gay men aren't going out anymore

Personally, I'm in my mid twenties and I've only been going out to gay clubs for a few years, it makes me a little upset to think that it could all become homogeneous...I like going to a place where I know everyone is gay or gay-accepting. Now, I live in a smaller city compared to places like New York and LA. I've been to LA gay clubs and places like Santa Monica Blvd where it's gay men everywhere all the time and those places seem to be cemented in their gay culture. But other places seem to be in a state of flux.

So, what are some of your experiences? Do you think the gay club is no longer necessary? Why do you think some places are shifting?

BillM

LPSG Legend
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Beverly Hills (California, United States)
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
I live next door to West Hollywood and the bars seen there is awesome!!
th

tucsonwoody

Mythical Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I hope there is always a place for the gay bar. I can remember how good I felt the first time I went to a gay bar. Knowing everyone there was going to have similar lifestyle without judgement (most of the time) was amazing. When I would take a straight friend who was very hot looking, it was always entertaining watching him deflect the many offers he got lol.

Haven't been to the local places in a long time. But think most of them are still in business and not planning to close.

jojolongdong

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I think a similar thing is happening in London.

I haven't been out to a gay bar for a long time, but I'd like to think that they'll still be there next time I want to.

London had some fantastic cabaret artistes, and one or two of them are still working on the scene.
I noticed a show last weekend by the brilliant Dame Edna Experience, but unfortunately I was out of London.

Joe

HOU_HEADHUNTER

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Sad but true. This is a sign that things are becoming normal enough that clubs specifically for gay people are not as necessary. I was never into the club scene myself and if I did go to the club it wasn't with the intent to meet guys for dates but to really get out and have fun. I do admit that spaces where gay men can congregate is nice but it seems gay clubs were starting to become a social place not just for gay men but for straight women who enjoyed the free spirited atmosphere without the fear of drunken male harassment. It's best we enjoy these venues while they are still here. The fate of gay clubs make you wonder about the fate of pride festivals. Will the pride festivals also become obsolete as lgbtq life becomes more normal in society?

Reactions: jojolongdong

hvdude

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Many gay club owners in the area that I live in have retired their clubs and sold them off or are in the process of doing so. Many of them say that "the era of the gay club is over." There are a handful of people who blame other variables like:
1. The acceptance of gay culture and the need for a specifically gay space no longer a necessity

Personally, I'm in my mid twenties and I've only been going out to gay clubs for a few years, it makes me a little upset to think that it could all become homogeneous...I like going to a place where I know everyone is gay or gay-accepting. Now, I live in a smaller city compared to places like New York and LA. I've been to LA gay clubs and places like Santa Monica Blvd where it's gay men everywhere all the time and those places seem to be cemented in their gay culture. But other places seem to be in a state of flux.

So, what are some of your experiences? Do you think the gay club is no longer necessary? Why do you think some places are shifting?

I think your 1-4 above is pretty spot on. The question now is not about the clubs it's about the people going to them (or not), and all of your points are really more about the gay community. Guys my age (50+) grew up when going to a gay bar/club on a Saturday night was the thing to do. You danced, drank, maybe did some drugs, and met guys. The bars were the same without (usually) the dancing. Today it seems young gay men just want to hook up (yes, a HUGE generalization) and there is less of a social need for a gay bar/club without the exception of fetishes (leather, drag, etc.). The social aspect of the gay community is changing at the same pace as the straight community when it comes to "finding love" - why waste time and money trying to meet Mr. Right when all it takes is a simple tap on an app?

Last edited by a moderator:

theplayerking

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I confess that I only ever went to gay clubs for one reason: to hook up. It's so much easier to do that online as you can be specific as to what you are looking for and it mitigates the awkwardness of rejection. I've never been into the music and would rather have a relaxing drink at home with friends. The only reason to go to a club now is for the atmosphere, which may be your thing or not.

Reactions: Dutchstud

Wushi

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I think your 1-4 above is pretty spot on. The question now is not about the clubs it's about the people going to them (or not), and all of your points are really more about the gay community. Guys my age (50+) grew up when going to a gay bar/club on a Saturday night was the thing to do. You danced, drank, maybe did some drugs, and met guys. The bars were the same without (usually) the dancing. Today it seems young gay men just want to hook up (yes, a HUGE generalization) and there is less of a social need for a gay bar/club without the exception of fetishes (leather, drag, etc.). The social aspect of the gay community is changing at the same pace as the straight community when it comes to "finding love" - why waste time and money trying to meet Mr. Right when all it takes is a simple tap on an app?

Agreed with pretty much everything (except maybe that gay men are not going out anymore). To speak of Paris, there's also been a major gentrification situation (gay bars in the Marais are increasingly replaced by luxury shops). So there's still (few) bars for wealthier guys, the rest of us just moved to other areas, not specifically gay, but friendly, accepting and open-minded. And honestly, it feels good to see guys kissing in a 'not gay' bar and nobody raises an eyebrow.

On the other hand, the number of saunas and sex clubs stays pretty much the same (and, for some reason, we have a large number of those here) and these are still fairly packed (incl. with younger guys). I guess it makes sense, what makes us gay is our sexuality.

As for the future of gay bars and clubs - well, as mentionned, there's not need for a segregated place when you are not marginalised.

hvdude

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Agreed with pretty much everything (except maybe that gay men are not going out anymore). To speak of Paris, there's also been a major gentrification situation (gay bars in the Marais are increasingly replaced by luxury shops). So there's still (few) bars for wealthier guys, the rest of us just moved to other areas, not specifically gay, but friendly, accepting and open-minded. And honestly, it feels good to see guys kissing in a 'not gay' bar and nobody raises an eyebrow.

On the other hand, the number of saunas and sex clubs stays pretty much the same (and, for some reason, we have a large number of those here) and these are still fairly packed (incl. with younger guys). I guess it makes sense, what makes us gay is our sexuality.

As for the future of gay bars and clubs - well, as mentionned, there's not need for a segregated place when you are not marginalised.

What's happening in the Marais is what happened in the West Villlage in NYC on Bleeker St. Now all those fancy shops have closed and the street is nothing more than vacant, "for rent" store fronts.

Reactions: Wushi

It makes me very sad to hear that this is happening elsewhere. There is a leather fetish bar that is popular here where I live that seems to be going strong. I think it's honestly because they're a little time capsule for older gay men. Most who attend are men in their forties and fifties who reminisce the older generation and leather culture. It also doesn't hurt that they have TWO back rooms lol.

But it makes me sad to hear because I find that those places seem to only attract a certain audience. It's hard to take my boyfriend there because it's such a sex based space. I live in the DC area and even one of the bigger clubs there are closing next year. There is also an all nude male strip club that's amazing that also seems to be in flux.

Ive been to straight clubs when I was under 21 and didn't enjoy it. I do remember going to a predominately black straight club in DC and smiled when I saw a group of gay men vougeing in the corner. But, I feel like gay men still need their own space!

Is it because club culture in younger people are different? Or do you really think its due to the apps?

Well, then... why should you care that they're closing?

What I was speaking to was the leather fetish club in my area. He and I never go because people seem to forget boundaries. But that’s why I’m upset about other places closing because the only ones that seems to be sticking around are catered to a specific audience in the gay community.

We’ve had 4 places close down in the past two years leaving the leather fetish club and the gay dance club the just made an announcement to sell. And when I mean fetish I mean all the way...furry nights and everything. (No judgment it’s just not my thing.)

GayBajoranDude

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight

I love to suck on gay cock. I am a single male. I love sucking cock. But the place I live is pretty rural. Cock sucking buddies are too few and too far in between. I tried several social networking sites, dating web sites, but it always boils down to one main thing needing to pay for subscription to their services to be more successful. I do not have a lot of money, i am lucky if I canactually afford my rent and phoneservice, especially after creditors decided to court order my wages to be garnished. I find those social networking dating web sites are more successful in the bigger metropolis areas, but they are less than barely effective in a more rural isolated community. Maybe it is too far out of they way for a road trip for potential suck buddy mates. It seems the nearest potential suck buddy is at least a two hours drive away. If those networking sites aresupposed to bring people together, in my particular case, it seems not having an infiniteamount of financial resources and reliable automotivetransport is fatal to being able to find a potential suck buddymatch. I hate to think I might be getting desperate, all I know is I am sick and tired of spending so much time alone and ending it all seems to be getting more attractive more recently. Am I hopeless romantic? What can I do to be more desirable and to attract more potential cock sucking buddies with fringe benefits?

Last edited by a moderator:

12b8

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
If it’s just about all the apps and websites that’s taking custom from the gay bars, then surely straight bars and nightclubs are feeling the pinch too. But yes, I think that there is always a bit of quietening down, before a new younger generation manages to get itself a new scene happening for themselves. My home town of Sydney used to have the liveliest street full of gay bars, accommodation venues, sex clubs and sauna clubs in the whole of the Southern Hemisphere, but now the street (Oxford St), has only one really “gay” bar, a couple of “sort of gay” bars and one “mostly gay” nightclub. The famous Midnight Shift nightclub has just closed permanently after over 30 years of trading, (and after a full makeover and refurbishment). I think that the advent of the net, apps like Grindr, the wowserism of the state government closing the bars earlier and the state banning smoking (including tobacco, as well as vaping) inside any public venue)has certainly contributed. One of the other factors in the slow death of Oxford St is that our anti discrimination laws make it impossible to have an exclusively gay male bar here in Sydney, and this resulted in the gay bars being very popular with girls that did just want a night away from the boys. Can’t blame them for that. The sex clubs and saunas had to go to the high court, not to operate as these venues, but to be able to discriminate and say “ this is a gay male sauna so no women allowed”

Melbourne has taken over as the gay capital of Australia, where they seem to ignore the smoking restrictions, have later trading hours for the bars, and in that state they have been able to legally restrict the gay bars to “gay” men or “gay” girls. It’s always nice to take your straight friends to “my” gay bar or nightclub, and it’s great that people do this, but when there are more straight people in your bar, then it ain’t gay no more.

Just sayin.

I live in Palm Springs Ca. Our gay club scene is stilling going strong. With in the last 6 months we've had two new bars open and another has done a complete remodel. Our gay resorts are full up most any weekend. It is said that Palm Springs is about 50% gay. Our city council is 100% LGBTQ.

eric19831

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I think gay bars will always be around. But from what I can see they are more for the young now a days. (People in their 20's) As being gay is no big deal anymore, gay men seem to be growing up and settling down more and more. Even at the age of 34 I can see this trend happening.

Almost40

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
The same thing that happened to tapes / vinyl / vhs, writing letters and sending them via regular mail service etc... The new clubbing scene is just mainstream rather than a true clubbing scene..... Compare the warehouse parties of the "second summer of love" to the clubbing scene of 2017. It makes most of today's parties sound like bedtime stories. Even though you get a much better underground scene today, the majority of rave parties are nowhere near the 90s, probably because back then, various genres of dance music were new, experimental and absolutely not commercial. Back then everybody was dancing as if they were on halucinogens, besides those who used the get high on e and stuff. Today its all about the cool type of club kids that flash their polished smartphones and have no interest in music. Unlike WeHo and Palm Springs and simillar "gay themed" neighborhoods, there are a few hotspots gathered in particular neighborhoods in most cities. And then there's the internet .Instead of speniding on drinks and checkin out dudes in a bar, a no frills click on the profile details will do the trick just fine. Tadaa there's your hook up....

Nudistpig

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
The same thing that happened to tapes / vinyl / vhs, writing letters and sending them via regular mail service etc... The new clubbing scene is just mainstream rather than a true clubbing scene..... Compare the warehouse parties of the "second summer of love" to the clubbing scene of 2017. It makes most of today's parties sound like bedtime stories. Even though you get a much better underground scene today, the majority of rave parties are nowhere near the 90s, probably because back then, various genres of dance music were new, experimental and absolutely not commercial. Back then everybody was dancing as if they were on halucinogens, besides those who used the get high on e and stuff. Today its all about the cool type of club kids that flash their polished smartphones and have no interest in music. Unlike WeHo and Palm Springs and simillar "gay themed" neighborhoods, there are a few hotspots gathered in particular neighborhoods in most cities. And then there's the internet .Instead of speniding on drinks and checkin out dudes in a bar, a no frills click on the profile details will do the trick just fine. Tadaa there's your hook up....

I was there and helped build the 1990's scene in Montreal. We had a ethos of integrity in all things and dance as a ritual to heal us and the world. That's gone mostly.

Reactions: Almost40

Beanie

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
No way gay bars are always going to be a thing, it may just be the fact that bars in general are in the decline and in your area the gay bars are going first but I personally feel that gay bars and clubs will always have a place!