Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
As a Gay man who lives in the USA, I'm tired of living in Idaho where prospects are very bleak to meeting new gay guys and forming any type of camaraderie. I'm starting to look for new places to live, where are great places with a strong gay community that I can start developing relationships of all kinds with?

OKCLane

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Believe it or not Oklahoma City has a large and vibrant gay community, along with a large gay district that has bars/clubs and a gay resort/hotel (https://www.hotelhabanaokc.com/).
We have a good professional theatre, ballet, symphony orchestra, minor league baseball, professional basketball and university athletics if that’s an interest.
I think metro population is around 1.4 million people with bedroom communities to fit every need.
The OKC downtown has been going through a renaissance over the last ten years and has become the new place to live.
One thing that keeps us here is the very low cost of living. Housing, fuel, and retail prices are low. We also have a good airport so traveling is no issue. Dallas is only a few hours south and we have a great highway system so getting from one side of the metro to another is easy.
It’s a very red state but we’ve rarely received poor treatment. We eat out with large groups of gay men and no one gives us a second look.
Feel free to PM me.

51arledge

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Almost any large city in the US now has a sizable gay community. Even some smaller cities are very comfortable for their gay community. I haven't travelled much in the last 20 years to research this but I would be asking myself how large a city I would be happy with (especially if you're coming from a smaller town), what kind of climate I wanted to live in (think about skiing vs swimming, etc.), what kind of culture you want (what kind of live music, museums, etc.) Then start researching cities!
Sure there's OKC, there's also Chicago, LA, Salt Lake, Boston, DC, Atlanta. But there are also smaller cities like Asheville NC and a hundred more around the country where one can be totally out and find a vibrant community with many eligible boyfriends and potential husbands.
Happy hunting!

jf22

Expert Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Believe it or not Oklahoma City has a large and vibrant gay community, along with a large gay district that has bars/clubs and a gay resort/hotel (https://www.hotelhabanaokc.com/).
We have a good professional theatre, ballet, symphony orchestra, minor league baseball, professional basketball and university athletics if that’s an interest.
I think metro population is around 1.4 million people with bedroom communities to fit every need.
The OKC downtown has been going through a renaissance over the last ten years and has become the new place to live.
One thing that keeps us here is the very low cost of living. Housing, fuel, and retail prices are low. We also have a good airport so traveling is no issue. Dallas is only a few hours south and we have a great highway system so getting from one side of the metro to another is easy.
It’s a very red state but we’ve rarely received poor treatment. We eat out with large groups of gay men and no one gives us a second look.
Feel free to PM me.
I had no idea. I'm kind of against living in a red state, but I know parts of Texas are pretty LGBT friendly so it makes sense that it's the same with Oklahoma. All I know is living in the NY area is way too expensive for me and my boyfriend so I won't be surprised if if we're forced to relocate down the line so it's nice knowing what our options may be.

Reactions: OKCLane

concupisys

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
there is no gay community.... just neighbourhoods in municipalities where a lot of people who identify as LGBTQ happen to live and hang out.... but that's not a community.... if you just want to be around more gay people, move to a bigger city.... if you want a gay community, you'll need a time machine.....

linniejr

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
there is no gay community.... just neighbourhoods in municipalities where a lot of people who identify as LGBTQ happen to live and hang out.... but that's not a community.... if you just want to be around more gay people, move to a bigger city.... if you want a gay community, you'll need a time machine.....

I don't totally agree, now in some southern states, I would say that is the case, such as here in Va where I live, however I'm older, so many of us tend to stay amongst ourselves, but at the same time, we are involved in our community period. Now I would say that Richmond, my state's capital city, the Northern Va./D.C. suburbs, and the Norfolk area has a interesting gay community in every sense of the word.

Like many communities, you can dip in to use it, or wade in and actively participate (for better or worse).

Depending on what you choose to do, you will have a different perception on that particular community.