Gay Conservatives?

Okay, so some of you might recall that I "came out" on this site a while ago.

I still haven't come out in "real life." The reason is that I'm a very conservative, registered Republican. I'm talking Rush Limbaugh, Ronald Reagan conservative, not John McCain, Rudy Guliani conservative. I fear worse-than-usual rejection from both my conservative friends and my gay friends. (My gay friends already know I'm conservative.)

I know that if they reject me, then they really weren't my friends to begin with, but I'm just curious as to whether there are any other gay republicans here and what their experiences have been, or what some of your reactions might be to a a very conservative friend (I'm very outspoken, politically,)coming out.

Thanks.

D

deleted4499

im gay and very conservative and also registered as republican. all my friends just think its funny and dont understand how im gay and conservative. they call me the gay republican. and as for my republican family and friends they all just seem to be in denial about my coming out, its like it never happend.

Edmond405

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Welcome to the club! I'm VP of our local Log Cabin Republican chapter and my partner and I are proudly church-going Christians. We embrace diversity, love that we are blessed to be Americans, and relish a good, heated political discussion with our friends. We also think the mainstream media is WAY biased to the left and that both political parties today do a damn poor job of keeping their focus on issues important to our country. They get too distracted with social agenda issues.

All this and we're a gay "married" couple living in suburbia all the while getting on famously with "the straights" as well as our gay friends and family. :biggrin1:

I say "come out, come out" to all the gay conservatives who long for this country to get back to its roots and focus on security, tax reform, political reform, term limitations, etc. blah, blah, blah - I could go on......

Ed

Corius

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
Putting aside your sexual orientation for the moment, let me as what might seem an impertinent question: BIGNFLOPPY, just how do you describe your conservatism? What values dominate in your approach to politics and to llife generally? Are these really "conservative" values?
Which of the values in the founding documents (The Declaration of Independence, the Constitution (especially the Preamble and the Bill of Rights) do you share and wish to conserve? What principles of the Republican Party and the Limbaugh, Reagan,Gulliani,McCain,etc crowd do you find supportive of your as-yet-not-fully-declared position as a gay man?
ARE YOU HONESTLY SAYING THAT WHAT THE SELF-PROCLAIMED CONSERVATIVES SEEM TO WANT FOR THEMSELVES AND FOR THE REST OF THE COUNTRY ARE GOALS YOU SHARE?
Are the thoughts expressed by Abraham Lincoln compatible with the Limbaugh---Gulliani crowd's best ideas?
There are many Americans who have at times been called conservative; some I admire and some I come close to loathing. I can't think of a single thing Limbaugh has ever uttered that comes close to giving aid and comfort to someone who is gay and yearns to live free.

Peace!

Putting aside your sexual orientation for the moment, let me as what might seem an impertinent question: BIGNFLOPPY, just how do you describe your conservatism? What values dominate in your approach to politics and to llife generally? Are these really "conservative" values?
Which of the values in the founding documents (The Declaration of Independence, the Constitution (especially the Preamble and the Bill of Rights) do you share and wish to conserve? What principles of the Republican Party and the Limbaugh, Reagan,Gulliani,McCain,etc crowd do you find supportive of your as-yet-not-fully-declared position as a gay man?
ARE YOU HONESTLY SAYING THAT WHAT THE SELF-PROCLAIMED CONSERVATIVES SEEM TO WANT FOR THEMSELVES AND FOR THE REST OF THE COUNTRY ARE GOALS YOU SHARE?
Are the thoughts expressed by Abraham Lincoln compatible with the Limbaugh---Gulliani crowd's best ideas?
There are many Americans who have at times been called conservative; some I admire and some I come close to loathing. I can't think of a single thing Limbaugh has ever uttered that comes close to giving aid and comfort to someone who is gay and yearns to live free.

Peace!

My intent here was not to start a political argument, but to answer your question, yes, I can honestly say that I share the vast majority of goals with people like Rush Limbaugh. I'll point out that I was seperating myself from McCain and Guliani as well as many of the other spineless republicans in Washington.

The conflict between conservatism and gay rights is part of the reason I'm hesitant here.

fortiesfun

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
The conflict between conservatism and gay rights is part of the reason I'm hesitant here.
That seems like a pretty good hesitation. I can think of a few movements, like Christian fundamentalism, that are more hostile than the Limbaugh republicans to granting you any of the rights you admire, but not many...

It is worth thinking carefully through what it means to promote the cause of a club that won't have you as a member.

Reactions: haedae

B_big dirigible

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response

You're a brave man. This forum tends to be very hostile to anyone who isn't obviously hanging off the left edge of the planet by his fingernails. Good practice, perhaps, in dealing with the rote hatreds which might be encountered anywhere.

Being neither gay nor Republican, all I can offer is general non-denominational support. These guys will try to treat you like some sort of traitor to the cause, if not something which should be in a glass jar at the Ripley's Believe-It-Or-Not Odditorium. Don't let them get you down.

Easy to say, of course ...

HUNGHUGE11X7

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Earth/USA/GA! DEEP IN YOUR THROAT,See vid TO SEE H
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
Being Gay and Republican makes as much sense as being Jewish and Nazi. I don't understand how someone could align themselves with a political party that for the most part completely denounces them and the lunatic fringe of said group of which there are too many does everything they possibly can to eradicate you from the face of the planet .
I could understand someone being fiscally conservative but on social issues and concerns of civil matters it makes no sense at all and is completely detrimental to the GLBT community of which LIKE IT OR NOT you happen to be a member.

:banana:
HORSE

It is worth thinking carefully through what it means to promote the cause of a club that won't have you as a member.

I'm really not willing to give up my political convictions. If it's a matter of choosing between promoting the causes of the conservative club that won't have gays as a member or promoting the causes of the gay club that won't have conservatives as a member, I would have to side with the conservatives.

It's simply a matter of what's more important for our country and the world. I feel too strongly about abortion, immigration, the war on terror, etc., to abandon those belifs.

B_big dirigible

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
If it's a matter of choosing between promoting the causes of the conservative club that won't have gays as a member

Seriously, what does this actually mean? Gangs break into the town hall and rip up your registration card? The RNC takes out an injunction to prevent you from putting a BUSH-CHENEY bumper sticker on your car? William Buckley took you off his Christmas card list? Assistant editors of the National Review drive past your house, hoping for a chance to run over your cat? The John Birch Society won't cash your check for membership dues? Does this phrase actually mean anything at all, or is it just boilerplate propaganda?

fortiesfun

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
I'm really not willing to give up my political convictions. If it's a matter of choosing between promoting the causes of the conservative club that won't have gays as a member or promoting the causes of the gay club that won't have conservatives as a member, I would have to side with the conservatives.

It's simply a matter of what's more important for our country and the world. I feel too strongly about abortion, immigration, the war on terror, etc., to abandon those belifs.
I am not doubting your political convictions, but I am not sure you have it right that the "gay club" wouldn't have you as a member. It is not your conservatism that confuses. I know lots of gay conservatives, (and even more libertarian ones) but you specifically identify with a wing of the Republican party that expressly believes you should be denied your civil rights even though that has nothing to do with the other causes you hold dear.

I know I am not a sympathetic ear, because I happen to think that civil rights are what is best for our country and the world. You see, I am old enough to have lived through a whole generation of people opposing the rights of women and minorities using the exact line you are using now (that the good of the country and the world had to be placed ahead of righting the inequalities perpetuated by law.) They turned out to be wrong. Denying people their civil rights, or even postponing them, didn't help the other causes, and may have actually hurt them.

True conservatism makes some sense to me, but there is a reason that both your Limbaugh friends and your gay friends think you are attempting to mix oil and water pointlessly. If it keeps you from coming out in the world, you are in for a world of pain. I know. I've been there.

B_big dirigible

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Especially because it doesn't address the central conflict the OP is experiencing in any way, but only offers a general condemnation of lefties, but hey, what else is new?

Nonsense. I am specifically talking about the intolerant lefties here. Nothing general about it. In case that's not clear, I mean you, and the other intolerant shits who drag their knuckles around here. And I'm telling the OP that not everyone who posts in this thread will try to convince him that he's some kind of brain-damaged weirdo. Some people think he actually has a right to an opinion which isn't the same as, say, yours. How about that? Not that a closed-minded twit like you would ever pick up on that, but hey, what else is new?

Aralisian

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
Welcome to the club!

All this and we're a gay "married" couple living in suburbia all the while getting on famously with "the straights" as well as our gay friends and family. :biggrin1:

I say "come out, come out" to all the gay conservatives who long for this country to get back to its roots and focus on security, tax reform, political reform, term limitations, etc. blah, blah, blah - I could go on......

Ed

So I am sure that I do not need to point out that the conservatives and christian coalition are keeping you from being a "true" and real married couple?????

Freddie53

Superior Member
Gold
Media

It's simply a matter of what's more important for our country and the world. I feel too strongly about abortion, immigration, the war on terror, etc., to abandon those beliefs.
The three things you mentioned.
First abortion, that is pretty much a Republican issue, though many Democrats are not pro abortion they are simply pro it is a private matter between the woman, her doctor and if she has one her spiritual advisor. Some of these so called "pro choice" people are against abortion as a choice they would make personally.

Immigration, President Bush and the Democrats seem to be on the same side on this.

War on terror. Recent polls show that 30 percent of Republicans are AGAINST the war in Iraq.

My point is these present social issues that have divided our country are not the traditional political philosophies that have historically separated the two parties. Years ago, the parties pretty much wanted the same thing. The Republicans wanted the states and the private sector to solve problems and the Democrats wanted the federal government to have a major role. In the old days, it would be the Republicans who would have said that issues like abortion are a state matter and the federal government should stay out of it.

The Republicans say they are for a balanced budget even tried to get a balanced budget amendment passed in the nineties, but when they took over the Congress and the White House they preceded to run up record deficits.

Things aren't always the way they seem and the parties seem to flip flop on issues over time.

I don't know where you live, but the the fundies are controlling the Republican Party in your state, I would keep my mouth shut. To many of them gay activity is a worse sin than murder.

Reactions: Frotninja21

HUNGHUGE11X7

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Earth/USA/GA! DEEP IN YOUR THROAT,See vid TO SEE H
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
yes, I can honestly say that I share the vast majority of goals with people like Rush Limbaugh. I'll point out that I was seperating myself from McCain and Guliani as well as many of the other spineless republicans in Washington.

Limbaugh would be the Lunatic Fringe I mentioned and you seriously can't get MORE lunatic or hypocritical than Rush.
How can you hold someone in such high esteem that ABSOLUTELY DESPISES YOU AND WHAT NATURE MADE YOU ? One might call someone who behaved like that Self-loathing.

Guiliani is one of the few Republicans I actually have respect for. Most of the Neo-Nazis are not worth the salt in my urine to piss on them. The only concern they have is their greed and the almighty damn dollar, placing its value above the life and liberties of Americans. In this case I would equate being SPINELESS with being SANE.

:banana:
HORSE

Reactions: Frotninja21

Seriously, what does this actually mean? Gangs break into the town hall and rip up your registration card? The RNC takes out an injunction to prevent you from putting a BUSH-CHENEY bumper sticker on your car? William Buckley took you off his Christmas card list? Assistant editors of the National Review drive past your house, hoping for a chance to run over your cat? The John Birch Society won't cash your check for membership dues? Does this phrase actually mean anything at all, or is it just boilerplate propaganda?

Neither. Fortiesfun warns against promoting the cause of a club that won't have me as a member, and I'm just wondering which "club" he was referring to that won't have me as a member--the gays or the conservatives.

I know it's possible to be both, but he seemed to be recommending that I stop advocating for conservative causes and I was just trying to say that I'm not willing to do that. It could've been said better.

fortiesfun

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
Nonsense. I am specifically talking about the intolerant lefties here. Nothing general about it. In case that's not clear, I mean you, and the other intolerant shits who drag their knuckles around here. And I'm telling the OP that not everyone who posts in this thread will try to convince him that he's some kind of brain-damaged weirdo. Some people think he actually has a right to an opinion which isn't the same as, say, yours. How about that? Not that a closed-minded twit like you would ever pick up on that, but hey, what else is new?
It wasn't that I, or anyone else couldn't understand what you meant, it is that it makes no fucking sense.

It is your position that everything wrong in the universe is because some people's political convictions lie to the left of yours, in fact as far as I can tell, everyone's. That is your total generalization all the time on all topics, whether or not it is even relevant. As soon as someone points out your lack of logic, out comes the name calling.

For example, the OP suggests he feels a conflict between two competing parts of him and you answer instantly in a way that ignores half of his problem and exemplifies the appalling nature of the other half. Someone calls you on it. You scream close-minded twit, like that somehow makes things add up.

Flame all you want, but let's not kid ourselves about how much support you'd offer the OP IRL for his coming out or his desire for civil rights as a gay man. Before you start talking about intolerant lefties, let's see you offer one word of support for the rights of anybody who doesn't look or think just like you. Intolerance, indeed.

It seemed to me that fortiesfun was recommending that I avoid promoting the conservative cause because the conservatives won't have me as a member. I don't necessarily believe that to be true, but I was just trying to explain that I was not willing to do that.